Subject: [Sipping] Security and privacy in <draft-schulzrinne-simple-rpids-01>

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 16:13:28 -0500

The I-D <draft-schulzrinne-simple-rpids-01> provides excellent rich
presence information, but should expand on the required specifics for
matching security and privacy protection.

Section 9, Security Considerations says

"Compared to PIDF, this presence document format reveals additional
information that can be highly sensitive. Beyond traditional security
measures to protect confidentiality and integrity, systems should offer
a means to selectively reveal information to particular watchers and to
inspect the information that is being published, particularly if it is
generated automatically from other sources, such as calendars or
sensors."

I believe expanding on this and providing some criteria to differentiate
between types of watchers, with detailed examples would fill the gap.

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
MCI
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
USA

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:12:47 +0300

Hi Henry,

What you are requesting falls more in the area of SIMPLE data manipulation and XCAP work, see:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-simple-data-req-02.txt 
(especially requirements in Chapter 5), and
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-simple-xcap-00.txt

It is true that there is still work to be done on how to actually address tuples and other parts of the PIDF/RPIDS documents in the authorization policy definitions. I guess this would be part of the "what is tuple" discussion in SIMPLE mailing list.

Markus

> -----Original Message-----
> From: ext Henry Sinnreich [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 28 May, 2003 00:13
> To: Henning Schulzrinne; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sipping] Security and privacy in
> <draft-schulzrinne-simple-rpids-01>
> 
>