Subject: [Sipping] Using SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY in mobility

From: "Rajarshi Chakraborty" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 14:27:02 +0000

Hi,

This mail is kind of a follow-up to the earlier mail where I posted a couple 
of doubts regarding registration models in draft-schulzrinne-register-01. In 
the second design called "Outbound proxy intercept", could we not use 
SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY between the mobile user agent and the outbound proxy 
server in the foriegn domain to indicate the former's departure from that 
domain into some other domain? And this would be followed by the local 
registrar unbinding the temporary canonical ID of the mobile host just upon 
receiving the NOTIFY, if it is co-located with the local proxy or the latter 
could send a de-register to the registrar if not co-located with it. 
According to this design the mobile host doesn't register with the foreign 
proxy/registrar. Hence I think SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY would be of good use. The 
local proxy would SUBSCRIBE to the mobile user agent, and just before the 
latter departs it sends a NOTIFY back to the local proxy. Is this feasible?

regards,
Rajarshi

Rajarshi Chakraborty
B-196, IIT Campus,
Kharagpur,
West Bengal, India
PIN-721302

_________________________________________________________________
Dress up your desktop! Get the best wallpapers. 
http://server1.msn.co.in/msnchannels/Entertainment/wallpaperhome.asp Just 
click here!

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:28:09 -0700

Hi,

First of all, please do not cross post to more than one sip* list.  I  
have trimmed this reply to SIPPING only.

Second, I cannot find the draft you are referring to.  It is unusual to  
ask questions about an expired draft unless it has been discussed  
recently on the list.  Perhaps you are referring to the following?  If  
so, it is truly ancient and you should avert your eyes, lest you turn  
into a pillar of salt.  Seriously, the draft below was incorporated  
into RFC2543 which was later replaced by RFC3261.

http://www.softarmor.com/sipwg/drafts/morgue/draft-schulzrinne-sip- 
register-00.txt

Finally, from your questions, you may be interested in the registration  
package which was approved by the IESG and is awaiting editing to  
become an RFC:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-reg-event-00.txt

thanks,
-rohan

On Friday, June 13, 2003, at 07:27 AM, Rajarshi Chakraborty wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This mail is kind of a follow-up to the earlier mail where I posted a  
> couple of doubts regarding registration models in  
> draft-schulzrinne-register-01. In the second design called "Outbound  
> proxy intercept", could we not use SUBSCRIBE and NOTIFY between the  
> mobile user agent and the outbound proxy server in the foriegn domain  
> to indicate the former's departure from that domain into some other  
> domain? And this would be followed by the local registrar unbinding  
> the temporary canonical ID of the mobile host just upon receiving the  
> NOTIFY, if it is co-located with the local proxy or the latter could  
> send a de-register to the registrar if not co-located with it.  
> According to this design the mobile host doesn't register with the  
> foreign proxy/registrar. Hence I think SUBSCRIBE/NOTIFY would be of  
> good use. The local proxy would SUBSCRIBE to the mobile user agent,  
> and just before the latter departs it sends a NOTIFY back to the local  
> proxy. Is this feasible?
>
> regards,
> Rajarshi
>
>
>
> Rajarshi Chakraborty
> B-196, IIT Campus,
> Kharagpur,
> West Bengal, India
> PIN-721302
>
> http://server1.msn.co.in/msnchannels/Entertainment/wallpaperhome.asp  
> Just click here!
>
> Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
> Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip