Subject: Re: [Sipping] New Tones draft (was: "who plays the tone" or something like that)

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:06:04 -0700

Hi John,

On Monday, June 23, 2003, at 09:41 AM, Hearty, John wrote:
> Re:
>>> 2. Is there a way we could indicate a UA (sort of preference) to 
>>> either
>>> play the early media tone or play the tone specified by
>>> "audio/tone-info+xml" ? Or a UA SHOULD always play the early media 
>>> when
>>> available and stop the xml tone .
>>
>> IMO, you SHOULD avoid sending early media like the plague, but if you
>> receive it it should take precedence over whatever ringback tones you
>> were receiving.
>
>  I see the long, drawn out early media thread starting here again.  I
> think the concepts of the draft are fine provided you know for sure 
> some
> specific tone must be rendered.  However, one thing I keep coming back
> to is that frequently for IP to PSTN calls, we don't know if the 
> content
> of the pre-answer media from the PSTN is tones, or other media such as
> announcements.

I guess the real question is if PSTN gateways know they are playing 
ringback often enough to justify implementing a tone mechanism. 
Everyone acknowledges that during MF interworking that you don't know 
if the content is ringback or announcements.  I suspect that enough 
calls have signal transparency to make this worthwhile for ringback.  
If anyone has any data to support or refute this hunch I think that 
would be a valuable addition to this discussion.

thanks,
-rohan

> John Hearty
> Level3

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP