Subject: [Sipping] Re: Call Waiting - who does the tone

From: Alan Hawrylyshen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:01:29 -0600

On Saturday, Jun 14, 2003, at 01:27 Canada/Mountain, Satish Bansal! 
wrote:
>
> There could be two options. First as you said,  a dump phone should 
> handle call waiting. It would mean that we are making  end nodes 
> intelligent.
>
> Second option is that intelligence is in the  network, the inbound 
> proxy should be call statefull and should use 3pcc for playing tone & 
> annc. through a server to  the party.

Certainly both solutions work, but keeping the implementation of this 
feature in the UA would be , in my opinion, more in keeping with the 
SIP design philosophies of keeping the core relatively free of 
complexity.  With this support in the end-UAs you will see better user 
experiences in mixed domain deployments (e.g. receipt of a call via 
direct URL dialing while in a pre-existing session established through 
the proxy handling your registered AOR).

Although it raises the bar a little bit for the UA implementors, I 
certainly feel that it will scale better and reduce the overall cost to 
maintain and deploy the ’core’ portion of a SIP network infrastructure.

I would agree w/ Brian on this; this could be appropriate for inclusion 
in a BCP document.

De-lurking,

Alan Hawrylyshen              Jasomi Networks Inc.
sip:[email-masked]         mailto:[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 15:53:45 -0500

There is another argument for call waiting to be implemented in the
endpoints: No extra integration testing and regression testing by
service provider labs with many other network elements - a very costly
proposition if done for every call feature. My personal two cents.

Thanks, Henry

Henry Sinnreich
MCI
400 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
USA

Have you disconnected the PBX?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> On Behalf Of Alan Hawrylyshen
> Sent: Monday, June 16, 2003 5:01 PM
> To: [email-masked]'
> Subject: [Sipping] Re: Call Waiting - who does the tone
> 
> 
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current 
> sip Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP
>