Subject: RE: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-sharath-sipb-requirements-00.txt

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 09:00:36 -0400

While there is a lot to like about this draft, I think I could spend
a couple hours poking holes in it.  Let me give you a "for instance":
   DS-6: All SIP business phones MUST support DND. The DND feature, 
   when activated, MUST reject any incoming call meant for the phone 
   with a 486 Busy response code or MAY redirect the call to voice 
   mail.

A presence based implementation of DND might selectively reject calls
based on who is calling.  My wife and possibly my boss might be
able to ring through, most other callers could not.  If I implemented
a phone this way, it would not be compliant with DS-6.

Forwarding for DND might best be done at the proxy server, since you
want it to work if the phone is "down".  

I also object to the language "meant for the phone".  A call to our
phones is "meant for the user", since we require a login.  We have
VERY little phones state, basically just IP addressing things.
Everything else is user based, not phone based.  I wouldn't want to
make it a requirement that DND was phone state.  I would want it
to be possible to have a phone that two users were logged into 
simultaneously, one of which was DND.

I'll do the review work, but first I want to ask if this draft is going
to be the basis of work in the sipping group.  I note that there
are other efforts along similar lines, although this draft is
specific to a "business" phone, if that actually matters.
So, I guess I'm asking two questions:
	Is sipping going to undertake what I would suggest is best
		cast as a BCP on business telephones?
	Is this draft the basis for that work?

I personally think that starting from the work Henry et. al. did is
a better path.  Adding "business" profiles to that would be
one way.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 6:57 AM
> To: @IETF-Announce.{MARCONI}
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-sharath-sipb-requirements-00.txt
> 
> 
> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line 
> Internet-Drafts directories.
> 
> 
> 	Title		: SIP-B: SIP for Business Phones 
> Requirements for 
>                           Implementing Business Telephony 
> Features on SIP 
>                           Endpoints
> 	Author(s)	: V. Venkataramanan, S. Rajasekar
> 	Filename	: draft-sharath-sipb-requirements-00.txt
> 	Pages		: 16
> 	Date		: 2003-6-23
> 	
> This informational internet draft describes the requirements for a 
> standard business telephone based on the Session Initiation Protocol 
> (SIP). The objective of this document is to provide a minimum set of 
> requirements for implementing business features on SIP endpoints.  
> This draft is intended to serve as a requirements document for 
> vendors    implementing    business    features    on    SIP    based 
> devices/entities. Details of how each capability or feature is best 
> implemented in SIP, is beyond the scope of this document and may be 
> tracked through the working group draft submissions.
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sharath-sipb-require
ments-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-sharath-sipb-requirements-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-sharath-sipb-requirements-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Ranjit Avasarala <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 19:46:19 +0530

Hi
   I think 488 Not Acceptable Here with Retry-After: would be more
appropriate response for a DnD feature rather than a 486 busy here

Ranjit

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Rosen, Brian
Sent: Tuesday, June 24, 2003 6:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] I-D ACTION:draft-sharath-sipb-requirements-00.txt

While there is a lot to like about this draft, I think I could spend a
couple hours poking holes in it.  Let me give you a "for instance":
   DS-6: All SIP business phones MUST support DND. The DND feature, 
   when activated, MUST reject any incoming call meant for the phone 
   with a 486 Busy response code or MAY redirect the call to voice 
   mail.

A presence based implementation of DND might selectively reject calls
based on who is calling.  My wife and possibly my boss might be able to
ring through, most other callers could not.  If I implemented a phone
this way, it would not be compliant with DS-6.

I also object to the language "meant for the phone".  A call to our
phones is "meant for the user", since we require a login.  We have VERY
little phones state, basically just IP addressing things. Everything
else is user based, not phone based.  I wouldn't want to make it a
requirement that DND was phone state.  I would want it to be possible to
have a phone that two users were logged into 
simultaneously, one of which was DND.

I'll do the review work, but first I want to ask if this draft is going
to be the basis of work in the sipping group.  I note that there are
other efforts along similar lines, although this draft is specific to a
"business" phone, if that actually matters. So, I guess I'm asking two
questions:
	Is sipping going to undertake what I would suggest is best
		cast as a BCP on business telephones?
	Is this draft the basis for that work?

I personally think that starting from the work Henry et. al. did is a
better path.  Adding "business" profiles to that would be one way.

Brian

ments-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the
message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-sharath-sipb-requirements-00.txt".

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP