Subject: RE: [Sipping] refer and pstn

From: "Pascal Dore" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:39:39 -0400

I think about a scenario like someone who's calling to an enterprise PBX.  This call is automatically forward to the receptionist.  After asking to talk to Mister X, the receptionist transfer the incomming pstn caller to Mister X.

So, if you want to reproduce this with a pstn gateway, the incoming pstn call can be automatically forward to the receptionist ip phone by the pstn-gateway and then, the receptionist with the ip phone will transfer (refer) the incoming call from the pstn-gateway to another sip UA in the company.  (kind of IP-PBX scenario).

Pascal.D

-----Original Message-----
From: Juha Heinanen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 5:36 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] refer and pstn

i have noticed that some sip/pstn gws on the market support refer
method.  i consider this very dangerous because pstn gw has no way that
i know of asking the original pstn caller to accept or reject the
referral.  things get even worse when these implementations do not send
the resulting new request to the proxy, but directly to pstn.

if any of the vendors of these gws are listening, i would like to
understand what is your logic when you have implemented refer method UAS
or if the authors of the refer rfc are listening, how you thought it
could be properly used by sip UASes that are pstn gws.

-- juha
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 17:26:24 +0300

Pascal Dore writes:

 > So, if you want to reproduce this with a pstn gateway, the incoming
 > pstn call can be automatically forward to the receptionist ip phone
 > by the pstn-gateway and then, the receptionist with the ip phone will
 > transfer (refer) the incoming call from the pstn-gateway to another
 > sip UA in the company.  (kind of IP-PBX scenario).

that application is fine.  problems start when refer-to points to pstn
destination.

-- juha