Subject: [Sipping] Protocol Action: Session Initiation Protocol Basic Call Flow Examples to BCP

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 14:54:37 -0400

The IESG has approved the following Internet-Drafts as BCPs:

  o 'Session Initiation Protocol Basic Call Flow Examples'
                                  <draft-ietf-sipping-basic-call-flows-02.txt>

  o 'Session Initiation Protocol PSTN Call Flows'
                                  <draft-ietf-sipping-pstn-call-flows-02.txt>

These documents are the product of the Session Initiation Proposal
Investigation Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Allison
Mankin and Jon Peterson.
     
  Technical Summary
     
          These documents have been developed to provide reviewed examples of
          the use of call flows in Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) networks.

          These documents are designed to be used by SIP implementers,
          designers, and protocol researchers to help further the goal of a
          standard implementation of SIP.

          These flows represent carefully checked and working group reviewed
          scenarios of the most basic examples as a companion to the
          specifications.
     
          The "Basic Call Flow Examples" document gives examples of basic SIP
          call flows. Elements in these call flows include SIP User Agents and
          Clients, SIP Proxy and Redirect Servers. Scenarios include SIP
          Registration and SIP session establishment.

          The "PSTN Call Flows" document provides examples of SIP interworking
          with the PSTN through gateways. Elements in these call flows include
          SIP User Agents, SIP Proxy Servers, and PSTN Gateways. Scenarios
          include SIP to PSTN, PSTN to SIP, and PSTN to PSTN via SIP. PSTN
          telephony protocols are illustrated using ISDN (Integrated Services
          Digital Network), ISUP (ISDN User Part), and FGB (Feature Group B)
          circuit associated signaling. PSTN calls are illustrated using global
          telephone numbers from the PSTN and private extensions served on by
          a PBX (Private Branch Exchange).

          Call flow diagrams and message details are shown in both documents.

  Working Group Summary
     
      The working group supported the publication of these documents as BCPs,
      and provided a large amount of review and care.
     
  Protocol Quality
     
      These documents were reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin.

RFC Editor Note:

In the Abstract of both documents, in the first sentence, delete the word
"informational".

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP