Subject: RE: [Sipping] Call Waiting - who does the tone

From: "Drage, Keith (Keith)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 11:23:24 +0100

Would this be the sort of thing that should be in Henry's sip devices spec?

regards

Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: Rosen, Brian [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 12 June 2003 20:06
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: [Sipping] Call Waiting - who does the tone

Robert

If you have a UA that handles multiple calls, you don't need call waiting.
Another INVITE appears, you show it in your UI (lights, LCD, whatever),
and eventually the user decides to answer or ignore it.

What if you are a really simple UA?  A second call comes in.  Who does what?
It would seem that the really best answer is that the dumb UA puts the
call waiting tone into the current audio.  The user can then either
hang up the current call and let the second call ring through, or it can
press the "flash" button (if implemented), alternating between the two.  
It's all local.

What doesn't seem to work at all is to let some "tones and announcements"
server handle it - there is no way the dumb phone will create a media
connection to such a server if it has an active call.  That means call
waiting CANNOT be implemented by any other element but the called UA.

So, is this something that goes in a BCP?  Even a dumb phone should handle
call waiting.

Brian
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP