Subject: Re: [Sipping] Call Waiting - who does the tone

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:05:02 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/2003 9:47:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, 
[email-masked] writes:

> Can't the phone just generate a local beep? Or do you propose a $M
> project to generate the beep from a media server in the network?  :-)
> 

I can certainly foresee a service provider that wants to provide a Call 
Waiting announcement like "You have a call waiting from John Doe." rather than a 
beep. And there are many other cases of the need to provide announcements in the 
middle of a call. I think Dusan's comments should be thought of in the 
general case, not just Call Waiting. While I don't know if his idea is a good one or 
possible, we still need a general solution for this.

Mike Pierce

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:32:45 -0700

On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 10:05 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
> I can certainly foresee a service provider that wants to provide a 
> Call Waiting announcement like "You have a call waiting from John 
> Doe." rather than a beep. And there are many other cases of the need 
> to provide announcements in the middle of a call. I think Dusan's 
> comments should be thought of in the general case, not just Call 
> Waiting. While I don't know if his idea is a good one or possible, we 
> still need a general solution for this.

I agree that we want to solve the problem of tones in general. What we 
badly need is a set of requirements, or at least some scenarios.  If we 
use scenarios, I don't think the scenarios should assume who is 
generating messages or tones.  Lets focus on the experience we want the 
user to have, and then we can talk about the best way to provide that 
experience.

thanks,
-rohan

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP