Subject: [Sipping] refer and pstn

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:35:32 +0300

i have noticed that some sip/pstn gws on the market support refer
method.  i consider this very dangerous because pstn gw has no way that
i know of asking the original pstn caller to accept or reject the
referral.  things get even worse when these implementations do not send
the resulting new request to the proxy, but directly to pstn.

if any of the vendors of these gws are listening, i would like to
understand what is your logic when you have implemented refer method UAS
or if the authors of the refer rfc are listening, how you thought it
could be properly used by sip UASes that are pstn gws.

-- juha
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:45:22 -0400

Could I understand what difference there is between accepting a REFER and call 
transfer in the legacy network?  In both cases, the protocol for gaining PSTN user 
acceptance is for the transferor to ask -- it's not a protocol issue.

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 21:36:15 +0300

Tom Taylor writes:

 > Could I understand what difference there is between accepting a REFER
 > and call transfer in the legacy network?  In both cases, the protocol
 > for gaining PSTN user acceptance is for the transferor to ask -- it's
 > not a protocol issue.

for example, we have remote-party-id (or whatever the corresponding p
header is that i have not seen anyone to implement).  does that apply
also to referred-by?

is the proxy allowed to rewrite refer-to header for example after doing
an enum query on it?

-- juha