Subject: RE: [Sipping] GRUU in KPML

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 17:59:05 -0600

Ben Campbell [mailto:[email-masked]] wrote:

> I can imagine a use case where my call is signaled by a device with a 
> minimal user interface, but KPML interaction is handled by a separate 
> device with a richer interface, such as my PDA or PC. This 
> would be much  more simple to accomplish if I could specify a KPML
> target that was distinct from my dialog contact.

If you want to do something like this, then sending a 302 response
to an incoming SUBSCRIBE for kpml events could be used to achieve the
effect you describe above.

This is probably a rather rare use case, so I imagine that slightly
suboptimal signaling is okay.

/a

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 04:26:27 -0500

> suboptimal signaling is okay.

I don't think a redirect is enough. The device with the UI needs a way 
to authorize the subscription. Authorization is done by making sure that 
the subscriber knows the dialog identifiers. However, the dialog doesnt 
exist at this UI device, so it would have no way to do authorization. 
Also, when the dialog ends, the subscription needs to be terminated, and 
this device has know way to know that either.

So, making this work would require a bunch of additional signaling 
between components that we dont do now. I think that this kind of 
decomposed system is the subject of protocols like mbus, and we should 
consider the whole nine yards just plain out of scope here.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com