Subject: Re: [Sipping] 488 vs 606

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:05:20 -0600

Thank you Jonathan and thanks to all of them for helping me on the subject.
-thank you

Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>@ietf.org on 03/11/2004
11:06:29 AM

Sent by:    [email-masked]

To:    Srinivas Relangi/C/UTStarcom@UTStarcom
cc:    [email-masked]
Subject:    Re: [Sipping] 488 vs 606

If the invite is rejected because fax is an unknown media type, send a
488. Generally 6xx is not a great idea since you can never really know
for sure that a request won't succeed elsewhere. For re-invite one could
argue you do know, since re-invites dont fork, but I dont think you want
different response codes for the same error condition, just because its
inside vs. outside a dialog.

If the invite is rejected just because some kind of policy forbids
re-invites (NOT A GOOD IDEA!) - use 403.

Ranjit writes:
> Hi Srini
>
> If A does not support T.38 then it should send 415 Media Not Supported.
>
> Regards
> Ranjit

This is not correct. 415 means that the MIME media type (application/sdp
in this case) in the body is not known. That is not the error condition
we are talking about.

-Jonathan R.

[email-masked] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question on the usage of 488 vs 606 response. Kindly let me know
> in the situation explained below which one is more appropriate.
>
> Two UA's (A & B) establish a voice session, but after a while one of them
> (say B) decides to change to FAX mode and hence sends a
> Re-INVITE with T38 SDP. But User Agent 'A' does not support incoming T38
> Re-INVITE (FAX SDP) for any call or any user and hence needs to
> respond with a 488 or 606 response. In this situation, what response
would
> be more appropriate to reject the Re-INVITE. Please note that the request
> sent by UA 'B' cannot be serviced by any other UAs as the fax data is
> available only on 'A'.
>
> Thank you,
> Srini
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
> This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP
>

--
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
 Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP