Subject: Re: [Sipping] WGLC for draft-ietf-sipping-reason-header-for-preemption-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 07:44:53 EST

In a message dated 3/1/2004 1:38:29 PM Korea Standard Time, [email-masked] 
writes:

> >[MAP] The requirment for Assured Service (otherwise known as MLPP) is that 
> the 
> >preempted party is not allowed to know why the preemption occurred. This 
> >would have the result of telling the person
> 
> [JP] how exactly is informing the UA translate into telling the user why 
> something has happened always (which is the way I read your question)?
> 
I always make the assumption that anything sent to the UA (the physical 
telephone) may be displayed to the user (human). If the service requires that the 
user (human) can't see some data that might be in a SIP messages (e.g., 
location, ID of the other party) then that data can't be included in the messages 
with an expectation that every device will keep it secret. The same is true of 
the reason for preemption (access or network preemption).

Mike Pierce

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 03:06:58 -0600

At 07:44 AM 3/1/2004 -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>In a message dated 3/1/2004 1:38:29 PM Korea Standard Time, 
>[email-masked] writes:
>
>
>> >[MAP] The requirment for Assured Service (otherwise known as MLPP) is 
>> that the
>telephone) may be displayed to the user (human).

I understand your concern, and didn't consider that phones will be 
displaying this detail. I can add a recommendation that this not be the 
general/default/whatever case (at the UAS).

>If the service requires that the user (human) can't see some data that 
>might be in a SIP messages (e.g., location, ID of the other party) then 
>that data can't be included in the messages with an expectation that every 
>device will keep it secret. The same is true of the reason for preemption 
>(access or network preemption).
>
>Mike Pierce

cheers,
James

                                *******************
                 Truth is not to be argued... it is to be presented

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP