Subject: [Sipping] refer to PSTN

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 07:40:44 +0200

sorry about this simple question, but how should the URI look like if i
want to refer someone to a number in PSTN?  

for example, if my number +3581234657 is currently not reachable via IP
and i want to reply with 302 and say, try this number in PSTN instead,
then what should i write in the contact URI, so that the caller knows
that it needs to try this number in PSTN without any more enum look ups?
is there a best practice or standard covering this?

-- juha

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Arunachalam Venkatraman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 13:14:49 -0600

I suppose you could specify a tel-uri in the Refer-To URI.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Juha Heinanen
Sent: Sunday, March 14, 2004 11:41 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] refer to PSTN

-- juha

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 02:26:27 -0500

There are two choices:

1. the server redirects to a SIP URI like sip:[email-masked] 
(where example.com is the serevr that did the redirection), and then 
example.com knows to treat this URI as one that goes to the PSTN. Not 
sure why you would redirect in this case as opposed to just proxy though...

2. there is no way to indicate in a tel uri that an enum dip should not 
be tried. Of course, thats just an optimization. The client can always 
try to look up the tel URI in enum, and if its not there, it means that 
this is a pstn number and you should go there. There is work going on 
right now in the iptel group on some kind of enum indicator for the tel 
URI which indicates whether or not an enum query needs to be done or not.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:33:32 +0200

> I suppose you could specify a tel-uri in the Refer-To URI.

tel uri alone wouldn't solve the problem.  i also need a way to tell
that no more enum lookups should be done on the number.

it turns out that this topic is right now being discussed on iptel
mailing list and people are proposing an uri parameter, such as
enum=yes/no, for that purpose.

-- juha

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:09:18 +0200

> sure why you would redirect in this case as opposed to just proxy

jonathan,

sorry that i didn't state the problem properly.  i do not want to do the
proxying to pstn myself, because then i would need to pay for the pstn
leg.  instead i want to be able to tell the caller that in case my
number is not currently reachable via ip, then the caller should try to
reach the number via pstn, which would make the caller to pay for the
pstn leg.

 > URI which indicates whether or not an enum query needs to be done or not.

that would indeed help to solve the above problem, because another enum
looukup on the number would return the same sip uri that was already
tried without success.

-- juha