Subject: [Sipping] POST vs PUT usage for invoking server program logic, aka XCAP

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 19:40:42 -0600

It should be noted that both XML-RPC and SOAP use POST to invoke 
server-side logic.

For example, see:

http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part0/#L26866

which says:

4.1.2 SOAP HTTP POST Usage
Using the HTTP binding with the SOAP Request-Response message exchange 
pattern is restricted to the HTTP POST method. Note that the use of this 
message exchange pattern in the SOAP HTTP binding is available to all 
applications, whether they involve the exchange of general XML data or 
RPCs (as in the following examples) encapsulated in SOAP messages.

Examples 9 and 10 show an example of a HTTP binding using the SOAP 
Request-Response message exchange pattern, using the same scenario as 
that for Example 4 and Example 5a, respectively, namely conveying an RPC 
and its return in the body of a SOAP message. The examples and 
discussion in this section only concentrate on the HTTP headers and 
their role.

Example 9
POST /Reservations HTTP/1.1
Host: travelcompany.example.org
Content-Type: application/soap+xml; charset="utf-8"
Content-Length: nnnn

<?xml version='1.0' ?>
<env:Envelope xmlns:env="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-envelope" >
  <env:Header>
    <t:transaction
            xmlns:t="http://thirdparty.example.org/transaction"
            env:encodingStyle="http://example.com/encoding"
            env:mustUnderstand="true" >5</t:transaction>
  </env:Header>
  <env:Body>
   <m:chargeReservation
      env:encodingStyle="http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap-encoding"
           xmlns:m="http://travelcompany.example.org/">
    <m:reservation xmlns:m="http://travelcompany.example.org/reservation">
     <m:code>FT35ZBQ</m:code>
    </m:reservation>
     <o:creditCard xmlns:o="http://mycompany.example.com/financial">
      <n:name xmlns:n="http://mycompany.example.com/employees">
            Åke Jógvan Øyvind
      </n:name>
      <o:number>123456789099999</o:number>
      <o:expiration>2005-02</o:expiration>
     </o:creditCard>
    </m:chargeReservation>
   </env:Body>
</env:Envelope>RPC in Example 4 carried in an HTTP POST Request

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:49:43 -0600

> It should be noted that both XML-RPC and SOAP use POST to invoke 

Whoops, wrong group. My bad. Reposting to SIMPLE.

--
Dean

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 21:49:28 -0600

--
Dean