Subject: [Sipping] service indicator in the sip uri

From: "Johnny Wong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:27:19 -0800

Hi,

I noticed that there has been several proposals over time:
- RFC 3087
- draft-burger-sipping-msuri-00.txt
- draft-rosenberg-sip-vxml-00.txt
- draft-camarillo-sipping-uri-list-01
- others?

What is the status for a standard way to specify a service (vxml URL,
conferences, etc) in the sip uri?

Thanks,
Johnny

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2004 13:19:25 -0600

> conferences, etc) in the sip uri?

The document draft-camarillo-sipping-uri-list defines a way to pass a 
list of URIs on a request, so it would appear to be in a different class 
than the other documents you reference here.

Given discussion in the working groups, I don't expect any of the 
SIP-related working groups in the IETF to specify any standard service 
invocation formats (unless you would consider some of the conferencing 
work as falling into this category). We may develop mechanisms that can 
be used for service invocation (such as request history) or explain how 
new or existing mechanism might be used for service invocation (such as 
RFC 3087), but standardizing the URI-format for any specific service is 
probably out-of-scope.

That said, there ARE a lot of people out there who want to standardize 
service interfaces, some good work has been submitted, and there is 
ongoing discussion as to where the best place to do that type of work 
might be. Possibilities raised so far include new service-specific IETF 
working groups (most likely in the APPS area), sector-specific 
organizations like 3GPP, 3GPP2, and OMA (all of whom DO define service 
interfaces, more or less), SIP Forum, T1, and ETSI. I think somebody 
even suggested W3C, but I'm not sure how serious that suggestion was.

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: 황진경 <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:55:20 +0900

I think the application interation framework between application and proxy  is in the scope of SIP/SIPPING WG,
am I wrong ?

Regarding the service invocation from the proxy server based on the calling party's profile,
(we call it service trigger)
following shows one experience of our implementations:

    INVITE sip:as1.kt.co.kr:5060; ServiceKey=1; DP=12 SIP/2.0

(Certainly this convention comes from the concept of IN,
as ServiceKey is the service name that is invoked and the DP (Detection Point) is the point of the call state;)

It can be thought that this kind of convention is service provider specific.

Jinkyung Hwang
KT

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Dean Willis" <[email-masked]>
To: "Johnny Wong" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 4:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Sipping] service indicator in the sip uri

> �����f��)��+-��i����
bz���j)fj��b��?�*i�x�+%��b��+4E�z�����������bq�b�zH�Ա�"�)��鞞�+���[�n&�v�讫��ب��'r��z{l��,zȩ��_������ׯzZ)�����ܢ��

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 00:46:30 -0500

Dean Willis wrote:

> work as falling into this category).

It does, I think. Its a bit different than netann or rosenberg-sip-vxml, 
in that the service URI is discovered through some other means, and we 
have developed a way to label the uri to indicate its service semantic 
(in this case, the isfocus parameter).

  We may develop mechanisms that can
> RFC 3087), but standardizing the URI-format for any specific service is 

Well, we do appear to be working on netann, and there have been comments 
and suggestions to improve it, and those have been incorporated. This 
document is targeted for informational, but the problem itself would 
appear to require a proposed standard document to solve, since it 
relates to the definition of an interface between elements. As such, 
people are going to use it as a "standard" definition for this class of 
service invocation, despite its labeling as informational. In that 
regard, I would answer this question as "sipping is standardizing the 
netann draft".

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com