Subject: RE: [Sipping] Re: manyfolks-sipping-ToIP-01

From: "Guido Gybels" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 08:26:26 +0000

Gunnar,

I don't think there is any need for us to create a specific XML scheme. XHTML 1.0 (Transitional or Strict) or XHTML 1.1 should do just fine.

Guido

-----Original Message-----
From: "Gunnar Hellstrom" <[email-masked]> 
Sent: 04 March 2004 17:45
To: "Guido Gybels" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>, <[email-masked]>, "Sipping (E-mail)" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Re: manyfolks-sipping-ToIP-01

I think the XML storage format sounds interesting. 
In our applications, we have so far just made a homemade text format 
replicating the two sides of the (person to person) call. It can be ok forr
 eviewing, but not good if you want to cut out a piece and reuse it in a 
document. 
So, who want to start defining an XML storage formnat. 
When doing it, it might be good to look at the timed text activity in IETFa
 vt, and the XCON activity in xcon, to check for interelations. 
Colours and other rendering effects are defined in T.140 to be as defined in 
ISO6429.   As also specified in Unicode ISO10646 that we use. 
Gunnar 
                                            
Gunnar Hellström 
Omnitor AB 
Renathvägen 2 
SE 121 37 Johanneshov 
SWEDEN 
+46 8 556 002 03 
Mob: +46 708 204 288 
www.omnitor.se 
[email-masked] 

     Original Message      
From: sipping [email-masked] [mailto:sipping [email-masked]]On Behalf Of 
Guido Gybels 
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 10:44 AM 
To: Gunnar Hellstrom; owner [email-masked]; Eric Burger; 
[email-masked]; Sipping (E mail) 
Subject: [Sipping] Re: manyfolks sipping ToIP 01 

Eric, 
<<However, if we said minimum of 30cps, but really like 60cps 
(professional typist), that is a ptime of 16ms, which would start to strainm
 any networks.>> 
I am not sure, but I think that even a palantypist will not manage 60cps,a
 nd when memory serves me right, I believe I suggested 30cps on the basis of 
it being already an upper limit in terms of maximum possible typing speed.J
 ames Hamlin might have some more background with regard to the number. 
<<Why do we say that the file format for storage should be XHTML?  Are wea
 rchiving marked up text?  Why not just UTF 8?>> 
As I was the one who put this requirement in, I should probably answer it:
 o) 
Decent interactive texting services will mark up text, for instance to showt
 he two parties in two different colours. Further text formatting is oftenu
 sed to further improve the user experience. 
We know from extensive discussions with deaf users that the need to be ablet
 o store or archive conversations is quite important. This archiving is 
intended primarily for the purpose of allowing the end user to recall on 
screen or print out previous conversations. That in turn means that the 
formatting should be retained. 
Because of this need to retain formatting, it makes sense to mark up the 
text, which will allow formatting by rendering devices based on the metadata 
from the mark up. 
Since interactive texting is meant to be available on all kinds of platforms 
and devices, I thought it crucial to make sure that the storage format wasa
 t least device and platform independent as well. We have seen in the pasta
 ll kinds of formats being used, which hampers often the users ability toc
 opy the files to other devices etc. 
Of course, to mandate xhtml markup does not prevent application developersa
 nd device manufacturers from implementing additional formats. 
I hope that is a sufficient explanation for this requirement. 
Best wishes, 
Guido 
Guido Gybels 
Director of New Technologies 
RNID, 19 23 Featherstone Street 
London EC1Y 8SL, UK 
Tel +44(0)20 7294 3713 
Fax +44(0)20 7296 8069 

_______________________________________________ 
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping 
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP 
Use sip [email-masked] for questions on current sip 
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP 

This list is maintained by Snowshore Networks   http://www.snowshore.com 
All comments on this list are the comments of the message originators andS
 nowshore is not to be held responsible for any actions or comments foundo
 n this list. The archives for this list can be found at 
http://flyingfox.snowshore.com/toip_archive/maillist.html 

************************************************************************
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed. Any views or opinions expressed
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent
RNID policy.

If you are not the intended recipient you are advised that any
use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this
email is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the RNID
Helpdesk by telephone on: +44 (0) 207 296 8282.

The Royal National Institute for Deaf People  
Registered Office 19-23 Featherstone Street 
London EC1Y 8SL No. 454169 (England)
Registered Charity No. 207720
************************************************************************

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP