Subject: [Sipping] Expert review on draft-garcia-sipping-poc-isb-am-01.txt

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 14:46:16 +0300

Folks,

I have been requested to perform an expert review, on behalf of SIPPING, 
on the following draft:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-garcia-sipping-poc-isb-am-01.txt

The following are my answers to the questions in RFC 3427:

    1.  A designated expert (as defined in RFC 2434 [4]) MUST review the
        proposal for applicability to SIP and conformance with these
        guidelines.  The Expert Reviewer will send email to the IESG on
        this determination.  The expert reviewer can cite one or more of
        the guidelines that have not been followed in his/her opinion.

I am the designated expert and I am cc:ing the AD responsible for
SIPPING (i.e., Allison) in this email.

    2.  The proposed extension MUST NOT define an event template-package.

The draft does not define a template-package.

    3.  The function of the proposed package MUST NOT overlap with
        current or planned chartered packages.

At this point, there is no chartered work that overlaps with this
package. In the future, a WG may define extensions to the Presence
Information Data Format to cover similar configuration information, but
at present, there are no ongoing activities to define such extensions.

    4.  The event package MUST NOT redefine or contradict the normative
        behavior of SIP events [4], SIP [3], or related standards track
        extensions.

The draft does not contradict the normative behavior of any related
standards.

    5.  The proposed package MUST NOT undermine SIP security in any
        sense.  The Internet Draft proposing the new package MUST address
        security issues in detail as if it were a Standards Track
        document.  Security issues need to be discussed for arbitrary
        usage scenarios (including the general Internet case).

The draft discusses security at several points. I suggest that, in
addition to the text at the end of Section 5.7, the Security
Considerations Section also discusses integrity and confidentiality.

    6.  The proposed package MUST be clearly documented in an
        (Individual) Informational RFC, and registered with IANA.  The
        package MUST document all the package considerations required in
        Section 5 of SIP events [4].

The draft includes all those considerations and registers the package
with the IANA in its IANA Considerations Section.

    7.  If determined by the expert reviewer or the chairs or ADs of the
        SIPPING WG, an applicability statement in the Informational RFC
        MUST clearly document the useful scope of the proposal, and
        explain its limitations and why it is not suitable for the
        general use of SIP in the Internet.

The draft states clearly that the scope of the solution is limited to
the PoC service. That is, the event package is not applicable to the
general Internet. The reasons why this is so are that the XML format for
NOTIFY bodies is very specific to the PoC service and that, if a general
mechanism to inform the network about terminal configuration were to be
defined, it would probably be specified as an extension to presence
rather than as a stand-alone package.

Some minor comments on the draft:

In the Introduction the draft talks about Auto-Answer mode and
Manual-Answer model, and then, at the beginning of page 3, it says "...
and its Answer Mode is set to automatic". I believe that if the draft
used the term Auto-Answer as well in this paragraph it would be clearer.

Section 5.6.1 talks about adding a list of users to a poc-settings
document, but the XML schema does not include support for this. That
paragraph should be rephrased.

Remember to use the new boilerplate in the new revision of the draft.

It may be valuable to briefly describe the relationship between this
draft and draft-allen-sipping-poc-p-headers-01.txt.

Regards,

Gonzalo

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP