Subject: [Sipping] Cascade of "Focuses"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 11:05:22 +0530

Hi Orit,
           Is my understanding correct that even when there is a cascade 
of "Focuses" involved in a conference, there would be a single conference 
URI 
used by all participants of the conference (irrespective of the focus they 
finally join)? If yes, can you clarify the following two queries -

a) Which of the "Focuses" from the cascade allocates the conference URI 
for use by the conference participants?
b) How does a call requested to the Conference URI get routed to a 
specific "Focus" out of the 'n' "Focuses" participating in the cascade?

Do the conference drafts address the above questions? 

Rgds,

Vikas Bajaj

IMPORTANT: HUGHES SOFTWARE SYSTEMS LTD. (HSS) IS NOW FLEXTRONICS SOFTWARE 
SYSTEMS LTD. (FSS) 

***********************  FSS-Unclassified   ***********************

"DISCLAIMER: This message is proprietary to Flextronics Software 
Systems Limited (FSS) and is intended solely for the use of the  
individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain  privileged or 
confidential information and should not be circulated or used for 
any purpose other than for what it is intended. If you have received 
this message in  error, please notify the originator immediately. 
If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that you are
strictly  prohibited  from  using, copying, altering, or disclosing
the contents of this message.  FSS  accepts no  responsibility  for
loss or damage arising from the use of  the information transmitted
by this email including damage from virus."

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Orit Levin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 15:51:19 -0700

Vikas,
As you hinted, there are at least two possible approaches to the
cascading architecture. 
 
One is when a "root" focus is the main point of contact for the
signaling of all conference participants and does all control and
signaling routing magic behind the scenes. Another is when the
participating clients are aware of the cascading taking place and are
responsible for sending the signaling directly to their cascaded
focuses.
 
SIPPING conferencing specifications don't define the mechanisms for
standard implementation of the "option one" above. This could be
potentially done in a working group such as XCON by using the conference
control protocol defined there.
 
The information in the SIPPING conferencing package allows for
implementation of the "option 2" above, though (using the
<cascaded-focus> information).
 
Cheers,
Orit.
________________________________

From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2005 10:35 PM
To: Orit Levin
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Cascade of "Focuses"

	Hi Orit, 
	           Is my understanding correct that even when there is a
cascade of "Focuses" involved in a conference, there would be a single
conference URI 
	used by all participants of the conference (irrespective of the
focus they finally join)? If yes, can you clarify the following two
queries - 
	
	a) Which of the "Focuses" from the cascade allocates the
conference URI for use by the conference participants? 
	b) How does a call requested to the Conference URI get routed to
a specific "Focus" out of the 'n' "Focuses" participating in the
cascade? 

	Rgds, 
	
	Vikas Bajaj 
	
	IMPORTANT: HUGHES SOFTWARE SYSTEMS LTD. (HSS) IS NOW FLEXTRONICS
SOFTWARE SYSTEMS LTD. (FSS) 
	
	***********************  FSS-Unclassified
***********************