Subject: AW: [Sipping] Internet Draft on ETSI TISPAN requirements for simu lationservices defined within EITSI TISPAN

From: "Jesske, R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 13:01:36 +0200

Dear Hannes,
I tried to keep things together.
As I stated in my introduction that the main part shows the requirements on SIP.
The second part should be seen as discussion start with the SIPPING group bringing thoughts up and invite for proposals and solutions.
Later of course this document shall only state the requirements of TISPAN on SIP. And a second one shows the solutions.

Best Regards

Roland

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von Tschofenig, Hannes
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 25. Mai 2005 17:16
An: Dale Worley; Sipping (E-mail)
Betreff: AW: [Sipping] Internet Draft on ETSI TISPAN requirements for simulationservices defined within EITSI TISPAN

hi all, 

a small comment only: if the document says 'requirements' then the document should contain requirements only and should avoid solution specific discussions. providing some text that motivates and explains the requirement is typically helpful (see for example http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-requirements-00.txt). 

use the RFC 2119 terminology, if possible. to help the reader to understand the requirements try to avoid the introduction of complicated terms. 

ciao
hannes

> -----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
> Von: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag von Dale Worley
> Gesendet: Mittwoch, 25. Mai 2005 16:26
> An: Sipping (E-mail)
> Betreff: [Sipping] Internet Draft on ETSI TISPAN requirements 
> for simulationservices defined within EITSI TISPAN
> 
> 
> > From: Jesske, R [[email-masked]]
> >
> > Dear all,
> > I would like to draw you attention to the following draft 
> that is now
> available.
> >
> >
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-jesske-sipping-tispa
n-requirements
-00.txt

Dear Herr Jesske,

I don't wish to sound like a curmugeon about a document which has clearly
been worked on by a number of good people, but I think that version 00 needs
some editing.  It reads as if it was written by telecom people for telecom
people, and unfortunately, it would be difficult for Internet people to read
without a considerable effort.

For example, consider the *first two sentences* of the Overview:  "ETSI
TISPAN is defining the release 1 of the TISPAN NGN.  Generally the TISPAN
NGN bases on the 3GPP IMS Release 7 provided by 3GPP in 2005."  It contains
no less than 5 acronyms  I am unfamiliar with:  ETSI, TISPAN, NGN, 3GPP,
IMS.  This is sub-optimal for a paragraph which is intended to *introduce*
the subject of the I-D.

Given the aggressive schedule, I would suggest that you engage the
assistance of someone who has been heavily involved in SIP (but not
telephony) to ensure that your document is clear from the point of view of
the SIP community.

As a technical advance, this I-D is very exciting, because it appears to be
constructing the means to make SIP interwork (almost) seamlessly with PSTN
advanced call control features.  It would be a shame if it was not
incorporated into the SIP world because it was not explained will to the SIP
community.

Best regards,

Dale

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Banibrata Dutta" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 17:14:28 +0530

Hi Jesske: 

The general IETF take (IMHO, i'd let the IETF gurus to ratify this), in such
circumstances, is to actually "split" the draft into 2 drafts. One which is
pure "requirements", the other which captures important design-decisions or
examples or best-practices -- is generally the "implementor's-guide", or
"best-practices".

my 2 cents,
banibrata.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Jesske, R
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 4:32 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: AW: [Sipping] Internet Draft on ETSI TISPAN requirements for
simulationservices defined within EITSI TISPAN

Dear Hannes,
I tried to keep things together.
As I stated in my introduction that the main part shows the requirements on
SIP.
The second part should be seen as discussion start with the SIPPING group
bringing thoughts up and invite for proposals and solutions.
Later of course this document shall only state the requirements of TISPAN on
SIP. And a second one shows the solutions.

Best Regards

Roland

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] Im Auftrag
von Tschofenig, Hannes
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 25. Mai 2005 17:16
An: Dale Worley; Sipping (E-mail)
Betreff: AW: [Sipping] Internet Draft on ETSI TISPAN requirements for
simulationservices defined within EITSI TISPAN

hi all, 

a small comment only: if the document says 'requirements' then the document
should contain requirements only and should avoid solution specific
discussions. providing some text that motivates and explains the requirement
is typically helpful (see for example
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-schulzrinne-ecrit-requirements-00.
txt). 

use the RFC 2119 terminology, if possible. to help the reader to understand
the requirements try to avoid the introduction of complicated terms. 

ciao
hannes

> Betreff: [Sipping] Internet Draft on ETSI TISPAN requirements for 
> simulationservices defined within EITSI TISPAN
> 
> 
n-requirements
-00.txt

Dear Herr Jesske,

Best regards,

Dale

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP Use
[email-masked] for questions on current sip Use
[email-masked] for new developments of core SIP