Subject: [Sipping] New draft: Extending the SIP Reason Header with Warning Codes

From: "Jani Hautakorpi (JO/LMF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:12:50 +0300

Hi all,

We submitted the following draft couple of days ago:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hautakorpi-reason-header-for-warnings-00.txt

We would like to welcome all kinds of feedback to our draft, and
especially comments related to 'open issue' stated in Section 5.

-- 
Jani H.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Dale R. Worley" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:24:23 -0500

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hautakorpi-reason-header-for-warnings-00.txt

I have some vague memory this has been mentioned before, but maybe not.

Looking at the examples, I see things like:

     |          | H-I: <sip:[email-masked]?Reason=SIP;cause=488?   |
     |          |       Reason=SIP-Warning;cause=305>;idx=1  |

Assuming that the text between <...> is a URI, what you have written is
syntactically invalid.  Since multiple headers are separated by "&" (not
"?"), everything between "@b1.org?Reason=" and ">" is a header value
("hvalue" per RFC 3261 section 25.1).  But while "?" may appear in
hvalue, "=" and ";" may not.

So I think you mean to write:

     |          | H-I: <sip:[email-masked]?Reason=SIP;cause=488&   |
     |          |       Reason=SIP-Warning;cause=305>;idx=1  |

     |          | H-I: <sip:[email-masked]?Reason=SIP;cause=488&   |
     |          |       Reason=SIP-Warning;cause=305>;idx=1, |
     |          |      <sip:[email-masked]?Reason=SIP;cause=488&   |
     |          |       Reason=SIP-Warning;cause=370>;idx=2  |

Dale