Subject: [Sipping] Re: [Sip] unification of wireless technologies

From: Janet P Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 09:29:11 -0400

Some unification of GSM and WIFI Voice is being addressed in 3GPP, in the
GERAN working group, under the name GAN (Generic Access Network).  It was
formerly called UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access).

Janet

             Digambar Rasal                                                
             <digambar@kyocera                                             
             -wireless.com>                                             To 
             Sent by:                  [email-masked], sipping WG            
             sip-bounces@ietf.         <[email-masked]>                  
             org                                                        cc 
                                                                           
                                                                   Subject 
             10/28/2005 02:09          [Sip] unification of wireless       
             AM                        technologies                        

                                                                           

Is there any group working on unification of the wireless technologies?
My concern is about having a device that supports CDMA GSM WIFI-VOIP and
similar wireless technology those allow to have some standard that allows
roaming between these technologies.

Regards
Digambar Rasal
Kyocera Wireless

_______________________________________________
Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:49:26 +0200

> formerly called UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access).

as far as i understand, gan/uma work is not based on ietf sip standards.
it would be a good idea to show how roaming between different network
technologies could be done using sip.  i would assume that the gruu
stuff together with replaces header, for example, would get us
somewhere.   perhaps where already exists call flow examples in some
documents?

-- juha

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 07:22:29 -0600

> it would be a good idea to show how roaming between 
> different network technologies could be done using sip.

Fortunately this has already started. Please see:

http://www.ieee802.org/21/july05_meeting_docs/P802-21-D00-01.pdf 

See also the recent related work in the IETF.

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Juha Heinanen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 5:49 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: sipping WG
Subject: [Sipping] Re: [Sip] unification of wireless technologies

-- juha