Subject: [Sipping] session policy drafts

From: Volker Hilt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:18:42 -0400

New versions of the session policy drafts are available. The drafts have 
a new structure to better reflect how the drafts have evolved. In 
addition, there is a new draft defining an event package for 
session-specific policies. Here is a brief overview over the drafts:

* Session Policy Framework
   - This draft combines the former session-specific and parts of the 
session-independent policy draft.
   - Specifies a framework for SIP session policies. It defines two 
types of session policies, session-specific and session-independent 
policies, and introduces a model, an overall architecture and the 
protocol components needed for session policies.
   - URL: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hilt-sipping-session-policy-framework-00.txt

* Event Package for Session-Specific Policies
   - This is a new draft that defines an event package for 
session-specific policies to be used on the policy channel.
   - This event package for session-specific session policies enables 
users to subscribe to policies for a SIP session and to receive 
notifications if the policies change.
  - URL: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hilt-sipping-policy-package-00.txt

* Media Policy Data Set
   - XML document format for media policies that was contained in the 
session-independent policy draft.
   - Defines a document format for media properties of SIP sessions, 
such as the codecs or media types to be used.  This format can be used 
to define media properties in profile data sets and session policies.
   - URL: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-media-policy-dataset-00.txt

Comments and feedback are very welcome!

-- Volker

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Jeroen van Bemmel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:27:10 +0200

Hi Volkert,

A question: I was wondering about the semantics of
<media-type policy="mandatory">audio</media-type>Does this mean e.g. that 
the SDP must contain a proposal for an audio codec, if not the request is 
refused?
If not, how will this be enforced?

Regards,

Jeroen

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Volker Hilt" <[email-masked]>
To: "sipping" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Gonzalo Camarillo" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, October 21, 2005 6:18 AM
Subject: [Sipping] session policy drafts

> New versions of the session policy drafts are available. The drafts have a 
> new structure to better reflect how the drafts have evolved. In addition, 
> there is a new draft defining an event package for session-specific 
> policies. Here is a brief overview over the drafts:
>
>   - Specifies a framework for SIP session policies. It defines two types 
> of session policies, session-specific and session-independent policies, 
> and introduces a model, an overall architecture and the protocol 
> components needed for session policies.
>   - URL: 
>   - This is a new draft that defines an event package for session-specific 
> policies to be used on the policy channel.
>   - This event package for session-specific session policies enables users 
> to subscribe to policies for a SIP session and to receive notifications if 
> the policies change.
>  - URL: 
>   - Defines a document format for media properties of SIP sessions, such 
> as the codecs or media types to be used.  This format can be used to 
> define media properties in profile data sets and session policies.
>   - URL:

---

From: Volker Hilt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:34:53 -0400

I agree that the semantic of the policy="mandatory" is not very clear. 
We therefore want to remove this policy in the next rev of the UA 
profile data set draft and the media policy dataset draft. The policy 
attribute will then have "disallow" and "allow" as possible values only. 
I believe this semantics is much more in line with the SDP negotiation 
happening between endpoints and it clearly avoids the problems you 
mentioned (i.e. something is mandatory but not supported by the UA).

If there are any use cases that require the "mandatory" policy value, 
please let me know!!

Volker

Jeroen van Bemmel wrote:
> <media-type policy="mandatory">audio</media-type>Does this mean e.g. 
> that the SDP must contain a proposal for an audio codec, if not the 
> request is refused?
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Volker Hilt" <[email-masked]>
>> New versions of the session policy drafts are available. The drafts 
>> have a new structure to better reflect how the drafts have evolved. In 

-- 
Volker Hilt                      Bell Labs / Lucent Technologies
phone: +1 732 332 6432           101 Crawfords Corner Rd
email: [email-masked]     Holmdel, NJ 07733