Subject: RE: [Sipping] RE: draft-stein-great-00.txt

From: "Yaakov Stein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:11:00 +0200

> As AVT chair and having been part of the process of the 
> publication of RFC 3951 (iLBC) I have the following comment. 
> IETF is not suitable to do codec work at all. We are totally 
> lacking the expertise to do good work in the source coding 
> business. We are also lacking the working methods for 
> determining if a codec proposal would be beneficiary.
> 
> iLBC was basically rubber stamping, the chairs ensured 
> through IETF external reviewers that iLBC was mature enough. 
> But none in AVT had sufficient expertise to provide much more 
> than editorial comments on that RFC.

I said as much in a previous email.

However, what you are saying is that the AVT WG doesn't have the
expertise, not that this work could not be done under the aegis of
the IETF.

> The only thing I see that IETF can provide is better 
> requirements to people who know codecs to make them more 
> suitable for IP and it´s properties. And I would actually 
> quite strongly object against IETF doing more codec work.

Unfotunately, this kind of division of labor leads to suboptimal
results. It reminds me of what happened in the early 80s with modems.
Although Shannon predicted mich higher rates, the modems were
stuck at 9600 bps due to having two groups of people - 
engineers who understood modulations but not error correcting codes,
and mathematicians who understood error correction but
not modulation. Only when Ungerboeck came along who knew
both disciplines was progress made.

Y(J)S

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP