Subject: [Sipping] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-rocky-sipping-calling-party-category-01.txt

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:40:48 -0400

I have previously expressed questions about the semantics of these 
categories, during the discussion of the tispan requirements. (Never got 
any answers BTW.)

Nevertheless, if this is going to be proposed as a P- header with 
bounded applicability then the bar is pretty low for approval. I guess I 
am not supposed to object unless it conflicts with something standards 
track, or that is expected to be.

IMO it would be bad to end up with a redundant or conflicting 
specification of an attribute. Where there are existing representations 
is SIP they should be used. Where none exist it is ok to invent 
something new.

Most of the categories proposed have no representation in sip, but there 
is one category that troubles me:

     data: The calling station is a data station.

What the heck is a "data station"?

SIP is all about negotiating media sessions, of all sorts. In my mind 
they are all data. Is "data station" related to what codec is used, or 
what media type? If so, then that is specified in SDP as part of the 
offers and answers.

Also, if the reason for describing something as a "data station" is so 
that the call may be routed in such a way as to provide resources 
required for support of certain media requirements, then this might be 
something that the SIP community may wish to address in a different way.

Perhaps I hear what a data station is I will no longer be troubled. 
Please educate me.

	Paul

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP