Subject: Re: [Sipping] Re: [Sip] Thoughts on the Principle ofDividingandConquering

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:10:10 -0600

Note: redirecting to SIPPING.

On Feb 28, 2006, at 10:24 AM, Michael Slavitch wrote:
> I'm surprised that in this day and age when I can have a multiuser
> conference with my mother and her cousins in three different countries
> that such meetings still have to be directly attended at all.
>

OMA POC, which meets face-to-face for about 60 hours a month, also  
has a conference call for at least a half-day each week in the off- 
weeks.

The face-to-face meeting periods are vastly more productive. You  
might not need to do this with your mother and her cousins, but  
having the luxury of either reaching over and slapping somebody who  
desperately needs it or dragging them down the hall and pouring beer  
into them until they agree with you is extremely helpful. To-date,  
our electronic conference models haven't really supported those  
techniques. Seriously, the non-verbal communications are important,  
especially with internationally diverse attendees. There are a lot of  
people I can understand face to face, but can't understand on a  
conference bridge.

I do believe Robert Sparks proposed some years ago that we do these  
conference calls inside a "Quake" multiplayer game. That at least  
provides part of the non-verbal communication I'm talking about. If  
you get blown off the podium by a hail of rocket fire during a  
presentation, you can assume that the topic is controversial. You can  
also resolve conflicts via death-match procedures.

--
Dean

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:48:54 -0500

inline.

Dean Willis wrote:

> provides part of the non-verbal communication I'm talking about. If  you 
> get blown off the podium by a hail of rocket fire during a  

Actually, since you mention it, meeting in Azeroth in the World of 
Warcraft would be even better, since you can have your characters laugh, 
cry, fight each other, and even go to sleep when Dean proposes once more 
that we deprecate forking ;)

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

---

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 18:26:49 -0500

Multiparty conferencing may just experience some innovation:

http://www.highspeedconferencing.com/faq.htm

BTW: I don't work for them :-)

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Rosenberg [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 5:49 PM
To: Dean Willis
Cc: sipping List
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Re: [Sip] Thoughts on thePrinciple
ofDividingandConquering

inline.

-Jonathan R.