Subject: [Sipping] Document Action: 'Trait-based Authorization Requirements for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 10:16:25 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Trait-based Authorization Requirements for the Session Initiation Protocol 
   (SIP) '
   <draft-ietf-sipping-trait-authz-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Session Initiation Proposal Investigation 
Working Group. 

The IESG contact person is Allison Mankin.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-trait-authz-02.txt

Technical Summary
 
This document lays out a set of requirements related to trait-based
authorization for the Session Initiation Protocol.  While some
authentication mechanisms are described in the base SIP
specification, trait-based authorization provides information used to
make policy decisions based on the attributes of a participant or
entity in a session.  This approach provides a richer framework for
authorization, as well as allowing greater privacy for users of an
identity system.  

The examples include both end-user traits and privacy usages, and
also authorization and authentication uses in SIP routing.

Working Group Summary

The WG agreed that trait-based authentication is an important topic and
that the use of authorization assertion schemes is a good way to
implement it. Other WGs such as Geopriv and SIP are already looking into
SAML assertions (which are an example of an authorization assertion
scheme) to resolve different issues.

Protocol Quality

Two of the authors have supervised student implementations related
to this work. 

Allison Mankin is the Responsible Area Director. The WG chair shepherd
for the document is Gonzalo Camarillo.

Note to the RFC Editor

Abstract

OLD:
This approach provides a richer framework for
authorization, as well as allow greater privacy for users of an
identity system.

NEW:
This approach provides a richer framework for
authorization, as well as allowing greater privacy for users of an
identity system.  [s/allow/allowing/]

Section 5, Trait-Based Authorization Requirements

OLD:
7. The mechanism MUST have a single baseline mandatory-to-
   implement authorization assertion scheme.  The mechanism MUST
   also allow support of other assertion schemes, which would be
   optional to implement.  One example of an assertion scheme is
   SAML [6].

NEW:
7. The mechanism MUST have a single baseline mandatory-to-
   implement authorization assertion scheme.  The mechanism MUST
   also allow support of other assertion schemes, which would be
   optional to implement.  One example of an assertion scheme is
   SAML [6] and another is RFC 3281 X.509 Attribute Certificates
   [7]. 

Please add a new Informative reference [7] to RFC 3281.

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP