Subject: RE: [Sipping] Fixed Mobile Convergence (draft-yafan-fmc-mancho-00.txt)

From: "Yafan An" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:11:34 -0700

Henry,

The term "network-controlled" handovers refers to the fact that a
network element is in control of the execution of the handover
procedures. This is in contrast to other schemes where, e.g. the handset
is in control of the handover procedures.

User selection of which access network to use for access can well be
exercised by a policy-based (or other means) on the handset or on a
network element. Such control may provision that an on-going session can
be handed over from WLAN to/from cellular by a network element according
to certain threshold settings.

These two types of "controls" do not necessarily conflict with each
other.

How the control is exercised may be determined by many factors. In GSM,
handover is network-controlled (and mobile assisted).

Thanks,

Yafan

________________________________

From: Henry Sinnreich [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 6:14 PM
To: Yafan An; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Fixed Mobile Convergence
(draft-yafan-fmc-mancho-00.txt)

Yafan,

I am not sure if it is right to have only the limiting assumptions in
the I-D:

- The 'network' is in control of the handover decision and not the user,

- The end user has no control over choosing the network or service
provider,

- Other networks such as Wi-Fi and WiMAX are not considered where the
end user may want to switch to.

Last but not least, the Internet point of view is of interest in the
IETF. IMHO, 3G is only one of the access options to the Internet ("the
Internet is THE service") and the user must have choices and control to
exercise them.

Thanks, Henry

________________________________

From: Yafan An [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 4:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] Fixed Mobile Convergence
(draft-yafan-fmc-mancho-00.txt)

Dear Sipping Enthusiasts:

If you have not noticed the ietf drafts, I'd like to invite you to read
and comment on the submitted draft. You can send your comments to me or
the sipping list.

Thank you.

Yafan

        Title           : Mobile Assisted Handover across VoIP and
Cellular Domains Using SIP as Access Call Control

        Author(s)       : Y. An

        Filename        : draft-yafan-fmc-mancho-00.txt

        Pages           : 61

        Date            : 2006-7-31

This document describes the use of SIP between the dual mode handset

(DMH) and the mobility SIP proxy to enable network controlled

handovers across voice over IP (VoIP) and cellular networks.  The

mobility SIP proxy has a peering relationship with the cellular

network.  Mobile assisted and network controlled handovers require

the exchange of cellular radio parameters between the DMH and the

mobility SIP proxy.  The set of cellular related parameters is

collectively called Session Handover Protocol (SHP).  The SHP is a

residual protocol of SIP, where all of its messages are transported

as MIME attachment to SIP messages.

This document describes the requirements, various SIP message flows

for cross-domain roaming and bidirectional handovers between VoIP and

cellular domains, and detailed specification of the residual SHP

protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yafan-fmc-mancho-00.txt
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yafan-fmc-mancho-00.txt> 

<http://www.stoke.com/>         YAFAN AN - CHIEF ARCHITCET
T: 408.855.2957  M: 510.386.2647  F: 408.855.2978  
SERVICES WITHOUT BOUNDARIES    

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 06:59:11 -0700

Yafan,

Your I-D is good engineering work and the explanations below are
accurate. 

It would help to clarify in the Introduction what options there are,
which of the architectural choices are made in this I-D (as explained
below) and for good balance to include some references for the other
options.

Multimodal mobile devices may cover 2G, 3G, and 4G networks. The user
who pays for both the device and the services will naturally go where
they are given a choice. Under such an assumption, handover control from
the device is too big an issue to be omitted.

Thanks for your understanding,

Henry

From: Yafan An [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 12:12 AM
To: Henry Sinnreich; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Sipping] Fixed Mobile Convergence
(draft-yafan-fmc-mancho-00.txt)

Henry,

Thanks,

Yafan

Yafan,

Thanks, Henry

Thank you.

Yafan

        Author(s)       : Y. An

        Pages           : 61

        Date            : 2006-7-31

protocol.