Subject: [Sipping] Fixed Mobile Convergence (draft-yafan-fmc-arch-00.txt)

From: "Yafan An" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:15:32 -0700

Dear Sipping Enthusiasts:

If you have not noticed the ietf drafts, I'd like to invite you to read
and comment on the submitted draft. You can send your comments to me or
the sipping list.

Thank you.
Yafan

	Title		: An Architecture Framework for Fixed Mobile
Convergence Using SIP as Access Call Control Protocol
	Author(s)	: Y. An
	Filename	: draft-yafan-fmc-arch-00.txt
	Pages		: 32
	Date		: 2006-7-28
	
This document describes an architecture framework for achieving
converged mobile services across alternative radio access networks
(GAN, or Generic Access Network), such as WLAN, WiMax, and the
cellular network, while utilizing SIP for media session control
between the dual mode handset (DMH) and a network SIP proxy.  The key
benefits of this architecture include (1) fast and flexible service
deployment in the IP domain, and (2) allow seamless voice call
continuity services across IP and circuit-switched cellular domains.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yafan-fmc-arch-00.txt

 <http://www.stoke.com/> 	YAFAN AN - CHIEF ARCHITCET 
T: 408.855.2957  M: 510.386.2647  F: 408.855.2978  
SERVICES WITHOUT BOUNDARIES 	

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Arjun Roychowdhury" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:11:40 -0400

Yafan,
Just noticed this post.

Comments while reading through the draft:

General_1:
* This is not really an over-arching FMC draft. It does not factor in
GANs such as WiMAX / WLAN/DSL  since the network reference model
depicts MSC/VLR etc. which may not exist depending on the access
network being connected to.
Similarly, the identification tokens seem to be specific to the celluar world.
Similary, the document contains many references to IMSI/MSISDN which
again assumes interworking of an existing cellular network to a VoIP
network. If we assume a PC soft-client on a desktop over WLAN needs to
interwork, what will its IMSI be ? This comment comes due to the scope
specified in your Abstract - I think the rest of the document has a
much more restricted scope than the abstract quotes

General_2:
The benefits of this architecture over proposed interworking
architectures by 3G is unclear to me. Can you please state the
advantages ? I  noticed that you also propose network initiated
handover - this , afaik, is work under investigation as well with VCC
and MiH (802.21)

regds
arjun

* I have a fundamental problem with the MP-CSCF. It does not exist
today and does not fit neatly into the defined 3G architecture. Most
vendors I know have ready P-CSCFs and S-CSCFs. Pushing the anchoring
function to the AS node (as VCC does) fits well into this model -
mobility anchoring can be 'added' as an application node. Putting an
MP-CSCF upfront means it needs to support all the published interfaces
of the P-CSCF and more.

* 3.2: PSI is referred to as the 'Public Service Identifier' in the
3G/IMS world - you use it to refer to 'pkt switched i/d'. (also CSI is
referred to as the much debated 'Communication Service Identifier' ).
Consider using common terminologies - PS/CS

* 3.2.1: I am confused why you call the 'S-CSCF' a soft-switch (3.2.1)
. This seems to indicate a product configuration. From a
standardization perspective, an S-CSCF does not need to have
traditional soft-switching capabiltiies nor class-5 features as you
mention. The S-CSCF is supposed to execute the iFC and forward to the
appropriate AS/MGCF for execution of relevant services.

* 6.2: I believe P-Access-Network-Info and P-Visited-Network-ID could
be used instead of overloading existing SIP headers.

On 8/21/06, Yafan An <[email-masked]> wrote:
> If you have not noticed the ietf drafts, I'd like to invite you to read and
> comment on the submitted draft. You can send your comments to me or the
> sipping list.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Yafan
>
>
>         YAFAN AN – CHIEF ARCHITCET
> Sipping mailing list
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping

-- 
Arjun Roychowdhury