Subject: [Sipping] Recommendation from xcap-config design team meeting and response to OMA LS 178

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 18:30:17 +0100

Several people from the IETF community met as a design team on March  
21, 2007 during IETF 68 in Prague to discuss OMA liaison statement  
178 on XCAP diff-event. This LS relates to OMA's requirement for an  
event package for use in monitoring changes to non-configuration XML  
documents. The document draft-urpalainen-sip-xcap-diff-event-01.txt  
had been previously submitted with the intent of meeting these  
requirements.

Attendees at this discussion included:

Jari Urpalainen
Krisztian Kiss
Robert Sparks
Dan Petrie
Cullen Jennings
Rohan Mahy
Sumanth Channabasappa	
Jonathan Rosenburg
Dean Willis

The conclusion of the meeting was to recommend some changes in the  
current sipping-config document and to recommend development of a  
separate xcap-config document tailored to OMA's requirements (while  
still meeting general IETF applicability goals).

Changes to the sipping-config document include adding the application  
identifier and error responses previously identified in design team  
discussion.

The new xcap-event package will need to support several requirements  
referred to in draft-urpalainen-sip-xcap-diff-event-01.txt, including  
subscribing to a xcap document or a sub-element of an xcap element.  
It will also need to support deferred or aggregated notification. The  
design team recommends starting with the text in draft-urpalainen-sip- 
xcap-diff-event-01.txt, but has not agreed to the current  re-synch  
mechanism therein which is expected to require some further work.  
This package could be developed either as a WG effort (probably  
within the SIPPING working group) or as an area-director sponsored  
individual contribution. The design team feels that the general  
applicability of this specification is sufficiently broad that it  
should be pursued as a standards track effort, even though RFC 3325  
and 3427 allows informational documents to define event packages of  
this sort.

If this recommendation is accepted or declined we will need to  
respond with an appropriate LS to OMA informing them of our intent.  
They would like an answer within the next week or so.

--
Dean Willis
IETF to OMA liaison manager

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP