Subject: [Sipping] Completing milestones in time

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 19:27:07 +0200

Folks,

as you know, we have already been working for a while on improving the 
efficiency of the SIPPING WG. The idea is to be able to meet our 
milestones, which are supposed to be set realistically. The problem is 
that many times we miss milestones for a variety of reasons.

Sometimes, missing a particular milestone in unavoidable (e.g., a 
technical detail that was overlooked is suddenly brought up). However, 
sometimes it would be possible to avoid missing them.

In particular, we would like to avoid missing milestones because the 
editor of their related draft does not revise it in time. This can 
happen because the editor is not interested enough in the draft any 
longer, or is overcommitted, or does not realize the deadline is 
approaching, or ...

In order to address this problem, we set up a web page that lists all 
our milestones with their corresponding deadlines:

http://www.softarmor.com/sipping/process/wg-review/sipping-rt.html

Additionally, we have been sending periodic remainders to the list about 
WGLCs, reviews, etc., for that month:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sipping/current/msg12625.html

We also stated in our last face-to-face meeting that we were going to be 
more aggressive substituting editors that did not do their job. The WG 
agreed that this was the right thing to do.

We believe all those measures have worked fine.

Now, we would like to set up an incentive program for editors. This 
would be run as an experiment to see whether or not it actually works. 
That is why we would like to get your feedback on it. We would like to 
know whether you think this is something worthwhile experimenting with 
or you think this is the stupidest idea we have ever had (or any opinion 
between those two poles).

In SIPPING, as a general rule, we try to have a maximum of two parallel 
WGLCs at any given time so that people can, in principle, pay attention 
to all of them. When an editor is delayed revising a draft that is 
supposed to be WGLCed, we delay all other future WGLCs until the editor 
is ready. Of course, if this happens with a few editors, any similarity 
between the dates in our charter and reality disappears (as we all know).

The experiment would consist of sending those drafts that are delayed 
because of the editor to the end of the queue. This would imply that 
delays in a particular draft would not affect other drafts. We believe 
this could be an incentive for editors to revise their drafts in time so 
that they do not miss their WGLC slot. Also, this could be an incentive 
for people interested in a given draft to ensure that the editor 
delivers in time (e.g., social pressure). In addition, editors will help 
chairs set milestones that can realistically be met (this is also about 
WG predictability).

Of course, chairs would be allowed to use common sense in case delays 
are caused by causes different than the editor not delivering.

We know that some folks would like to try this to see if it works while 
other people do not like the idea. We will allocate a brief slot in our 
coming face-to-face meeting in Prague to discuss this experiment and any 
other ideas people may have to increase our performance as a WG.

Comments are welcome.

Cheers,

Gonzalo
SIPPING co-chair

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Dan Wing" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 10:15:26 -0800

> The experiment would consist of sending those drafts that are 
> delayed because of the editor to the end of the queue.  This 
> would imply that delays in a particular draft would not 
> affect other drafts. 

I like this idea.

-d

---

From: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 14:13:54 -0600

Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:
> because of the editor to the end of the queue.
[...]

Sounds reasonable.

- vijay
-- 
Vijay K. Gurbani, Bell Laboratories, Alcatel-Lucent
2701 Lucent Lane, Rm. 9F-546, Lisle, Illinois 60532 (USA)
Email: vkg@{alcatel-lucent.com,bell-labs.com,acm.org}
WWW:   http://www.alcatel-lucent.com/bell-labs

---

From: Daryl Malas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 15:37:48 -0700

I think this is a good idea. --Daryl

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:00:25 -0400

Ship it.

>> because of the editor to the end of the queue.

_______________________________________________________________________
Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient,
and have received this message in error, please immediately return this
by email and then delete it.

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:00:25 -0400

Ship it.

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 23:04:36 -0400

I like it. And I suspect that, more often than I'd like, I'm one of the 
delinquent editors....

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com

---

From: "Avasarala Ranjit-A20990" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:57:26 +0800

Hi

Is there any URL link where I can get the list of all event packages
that were added to SIP events framework?

Thanks

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 12:47:38 -0400

http://www.iana.org/assignments/sip-events

defines the once in approved RFCs.

-Jonathan R.

Avasarala Ranjit-A20990 wrote:

> Sip mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip
> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
> Use [email-masked] for new developments on the application of sip
>