Subject: [Sipping] RFC3680 and draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event-08 : are quotes part of parameter values?

From: "Jeroen van Bemmel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 12:01:09 +0100

RFC3680 defines the <unknown-param> element for Contact parameters such as 
callee capabilities, but gives no examples. The gruu-reg-event draft 
contains examples which illustrate the use of this element for the 
"+sip.instance" parameter:

<unknown-param 
name="+sip.instance">"&lt;urn:uuid:f81d4fae-7dec-11d0-a765-00a0c91e6bf6&gt;"</unknown-param>
<gr:pub-gruu>sip:[email-masked];gr=hha9s8d-999a</gr:pub-gruu>

There appears to be an inconsistency here: both the pub-gruu and the 
+sip.instance parameter are contained in quotes as part of the Contact 
header. These quotes are reflected in the <unknown-param> element, but not 
in the <pub-gruu> element.

Looks like a potential interop issue to me. I understand the reasoning 
behind the above XML fragment, and I agree, but perhaps it is worth pointing 
out the quoting (ideally in RFC3680, but second-best in reg-event)

Regards,
Jeroen 
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 12:25:34 -0500

I'm afraid this is beyond my feeble understanding of xml. So I don't 
know what is correct here. Can an xml guru enlighten me?

	Thanks,
	Paul

Jeroen van Bemmel wrote:
> RFC3680 defines the <unknown-param> element for Contact parameters such 
> as callee capabilities, but gives no examples. The gruu-reg-event draft 
> header. These quotes are reflected in the <unknown-param> element, but 
> not in the <pub-gruu> element.
>  
> behind the above XML fragment, and I agree, but perhaps it is worth 
> pointing out the quoting (ideally in RFC3680, but second-best in reg-event)
>  
> Regards,
> Jeroen
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Pete Cordell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 18:03:28 -0000

This doesn't look like an XML question.  (The quotes are fine where they 
are.)

I think Jeroen is saying, if an example of <unknown-param> is (with quotes):
   <unknown-param
   name="+sip.instance">"&lt;urn:uuid:f81d4fae-7dec-11d0-a765-00a0c91e6bf6&gt;"</unknown-param>

should the <pub-gruu> be (with quotes):
   <gr:pub-gruu>"sip:[email-masked];gr=hha9s8d-999a"</gr:pub-gruu>

Or, if <pub-gruu> is (without quotes):
   <gr:pub-gruu>sip:[email-masked];gr=hha9s8d-999a</gr:pub-gruu>

should <unknown-param> be (without quotes):
   <unknown-param
   name="+sip.instance">&lt;urn:uuid:f81d4fae-7dec-11d0-a765-00a0c91e6bf6&gt;</unknown-param>

Or, should they be as they currently are.  It's up to you.  XML does not 
care!

HTH,

Pete.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Paul Kyzivat" <[email-masked]>
To: "Jeroen van Bemmel" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "sipping" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 5:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Sipping] RFC3680 and draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event-08 :are 
quotes part of parameter values?

> I'm afraid this is beyond my feeble understanding of xml. So I don't know 
> what is correct here. Can an xml guru enlighten me?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul
>
> Jeroen van Bemmel wrote:

--
=============================================
Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware Ltd
for XML to C++ data binding visit
http://www.tech-know-ware.com/lmx/
http://www.codalogic.com/lmx/
=============================================

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:39:27 -0500

Maybe this is more of an xml best practices question, or maybe it isn't 
an xml question at all.

In the case of the <unknown-param>, some unknown parameters may have 
values with quotes, and some may have values without quotes. So the only 
way to faithfully represent the information is to include the quotes in 
the xml.

In the case of <pub-gruu>, the parameter value will always have quotes, 
so they may be considered redundant. Whether to require them or not is a 
style issue, as well as a documentation issue to make clear what the 
expectation is.

I do agree that this is an area of potential confusion. Would people 
prefer to see the quotes included here for consistency?

	Thanks,
	Paul

Pete Cordell wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul Kyzivat" <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: [Sipping] RFC3680 and draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event-08 
> :are quotes part of parameter values?
> 
> 
>>> RFC3680 defines the <unknown-param> element for Contact parameters 
>>> such as callee capabilities, but gives no examples. The 
>>> gruu-reg-event draft contains examples which illustrate the use of 
>>> this element for the "+sip.instance" parameter:
>>>  <unknown-param 
>>> +sip.instance parameter are contained in quotes as part of the 
>>> Contact header. These quotes are reflected in the <unknown-param> 
>>> element, but not in the <pub-gruu> element.
>>>  Looks like a potential interop issue to me. I understand the 
>>> reasoning behind the above XML fragment, and I agree, but perhaps it 
>>> is worth pointing out the quoting (ideally in RFC3680, but 
>>> second-best in reg-event)
>>>  Regards,
>>> Jeroen
> 
> --

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:00:02 -0500

For unknown params, the XML *must* contain the quotes if they were 
present in the contact param, for the very reason Paul is indicating 
below. This has nothing to do with xml practices, it has to do with 
including the quotes if they were tere.

For pub-gruu I think the quotes are not needed since we know the format 
of what is contained there.

-Jonathan R.

Paul Kyzivat wrote:

>> This doesn't look like an XML question.  (The quotes are fine where 
>> they are.)
>>
>> Or, should they be as they currently are.  It's up to you.  XML does 
>> not care!
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Pete.
>> Subject: Re: [Sipping] RFC3680 and 
>> draft-ietf-sipping-gruu-reg-event-08 :are quotes part of parameter 
>> values?
>>
>>
>>>>  There appears to be an inconsistency here: both the pub-gruu and 
>>>> the +sip.instance parameter are contained in quotes as part of the 

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   600 Lanidex Plaza
Cisco Fellow                                   Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
Cisco Systems
[email-masked]                              FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.cisco.com