Subject: RE: [Sipping] Perceptual objective media quality reporting[Scanned]

From: "Beith, Gordon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:47:01 -0500

But isn't MOS really a perceptual score, based on how people really
perceive the quality?

As such, isn't this the reference for MOS, and when applied to
voice/audio, it would be acoustic...certainly not packet. The
packet-based measurement models have been devised to provide an
approximating low-processing way to obtain a MOS score.

If a MOS-scale is applied to video, it would be a reference of optics, I
would think.

Or did I miss what you are saying?

/Gordon

________________________________

From: Ravi Raviraj [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:47 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Sipping] Perceptual objective media quality reporting[Scanned]

Robert,

The event package defined in "draft-ietf-sipping-rtcp-summary-01.txt"
and RTCP-XR/HR techniques are mainly for RTP/RTCP based media transport
statistics.

There are non RTP/RTCP scenarios like MPEG-TS over UDP.

An example for clarity requirement is reference point for MOS measure.
Is it acoustical, electrical or packet level?

These are two examples of work required.

Ideally, we need an efficient event package with enough flexibility to
support different possibilities without any ambiguity.

Ravi.

________________________________

From: Robert Sparks [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 28 February 2007 15:41
To: Ravi Raviraj
Cc: sipping LIST
Subject: Re: [Sipping] Perceptual objective media quality
reporting[Scanned]

(Trimming this to sipping)

How is what you're looking for different from
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipping-rtcp-summary-01.t
xt?

RjS

On Feb 28, 2007, at 9:03 AM, Ravi Raviraj wrote:

Hi all,

Over the last few years, a number of perceptual media quality objective
measures and assessment techniques have been standardized by ITU-T. For
example, MOS-LQO, MOS-CQO, etc. Each one of these parameters could have
number of variations like narrow-band/wide-band, electrical/acoustical,
full reference/no-reference, audio/video, etc. When applied within a
network end-point, each media direction (ingress/egress) could have one
or more of these values associated with it. We need a way to report
these values efficiently without any ambiguity. These MOS values could
be sent/distributed as perceptual objective quality SIP events. In this
way, all the advantages of SIP like mobility, etc. will be pulled in.

I would like to propose a work/discussion item on an event package for
this purpose. Even define/specify a quality reporting framework. Is
there any interest out there?

I presume that, an event package work will be within SIPPING WG, where
should we do the framework work? SIP/AVT?

Thanks.

Ravi.

This email and attachment are confidential. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the
message from your computer. Psytechnics Ltd has taken steps to ensure
that this email is virus free but the recipient should take necessary
steps to make certain. 

_______________________________________________

Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping

This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP

Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip

Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

This email and attachment are confidential. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the
message from your computer. Psytechnics Ltd has taken steps to ensure
that this email is virus free but the recipient should take necessary
steps to make certain.
_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP