Subject: [Sipping] draft-garcia-sipping-resource-*

From: EKR <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:33:52 -0700

I just finished reading draft-garcia-sipping-resource-* and it
seems like there's a lot of overlap with the ATOM work already
going on in IETF apps area. I'd be curious to know what the 
authors think about the relationship between these two technologies.

-Ekr

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: Miguel Garcia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 16:23:07 +0200

Hi EKR:

We haven't done any study or comparison of the propose resource-sharing 
framework with ATOM.

Since ATOM is based in HTTP, most likely the model is a centralized 
model, I mean, there is an HTTP server and a few clients. In our model, 
though, we tried to make it work in a distributed model, where the 
resource might be available in several endpoints.

Then there is the thing about identities. The ATOM specification can 
use, for example, Basic Digest Authentication over a TLS connection. I 
think this would not work straight in SIP, since it is not expected that 
endpoints pose a certificate. I think identities would be the weakest 
point of ATOM (without knowing much about ATOM).

I guess this is a good topic for investigation though... perhaps some 
can go into the details.

/Miguel

-- 
Miguel A. Garcia           tel:+358-50-4804586
Nokia Research Center      Helsinki, Finland