Subject: [Sipping] Vertical handover of multimedia sessions using SIP

From: "Saverio Niccolini" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 14:49:42 +0100

Dear SIPPING group,

we recently submitted a new draft:
"A solution for vertical handover of multimedia sessions using SIP"
(draft-salsano-sipping-siphandover-solution-00.txt)

supporting the requirements we described here (the draft was updated
from the -00 version):
"Requirements for vertical handover of multimedia sessions using SIP"
(draft-niccolini-sipping-siphandover-01.txt)

We believe this solution to be ready for discussion within this group.

Our draft present a solution we already implemented and tested solving
a real problem of a roaming mobile host equipped with multiple interfaces.
We believe the mobility support offered by SIP is poor in this case and
also the mobility support offered by Mobile IP is either too complicated
or poor (and we have proved it in our studies) and therefore we propose
to extend the mobility support in SIP using an intermediate anchoring
element.

For doing this we have identified extension required to the SIP signaling
consisting in:
-- an additional header to carry handover related information
-- an additional tag to help in the identification of users at
intermediate elements

I would like to comment together with you on this draft even if I know
the group is currently focused on other issues I would appreciate you to
take a look at it an comment over the list.

Thanks in advance for your comments,
Saverio

============================================================
Dr. Saverio Niccolini
Senior Research Staff Member
Network Laboratories, NEC Europe Ltd.
Kurfuerstenanlage 36, D-69115 Heidelberg
Tel.     +49 (0)6221 4342-118
Fax:     +49 (0)6221 4342-155
e-mail:  [email-masked]
============================================================
NEC Europe Limited
Registered Office: NEC House, 1 Victoria Road, London W3 6BL
Registered in England 2832014

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP