Subject: Re: [Sipping] WGLC: draft-ietf-sipping-overload-reqs-00.txt

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:40:00 -0600

Hi, Jonathan,

This draft is even MORE basically ready for publication :-)

Two minor points...

> Thanks for the review comments, Spencer. And to you also I owe an apology 
> for the very tardy and delinquint response and document update. Responses 
> below.
>
> Spencer Dawkins wrote:
>> This draft seems to sidestep interaction with TCP (and SCTP) 
>> retransmission behavior. The current focus on UDP is the right place to 
>> start, but perhaps it's worth looking at non-datagram transports in a 
>> separate draft, and/or at some point in the future.
>
> great point. The discussion in section 4.1 is heavily skewed towards UDP. 
> Its an unstated assumption in fact. I've fixed this, so that it explicitly 
> says UDP and indicates how TCP is impacted. Generally, TCP is better, but 
> you can still have retransmits of segments if the kernel can't acknowledge 
> them fast enough.

The draft now points out relevant TCP behaviors (where it implicitly assumed 
UDP in most of the discussion). That's fine. It might be useful to say 
someplace that SCTP behaviors relevant to this draft are modeled on TCP - 
the string "SCTP" doesn't appear in the draft at all.

> I fixed the nits below.
> Thanks,
> Jonathan R.

In my original review, I also had a second question:

"Is there any reason to mention interaction with secure transports?"

just below the point you responded to. I didn't see any changes to the draft 
that responded to this point (which would be fine, if the answer was "no"), 
or any text in your e-mail that responded to it. It probably got deleted 
when you snipped the rest of my review in your reply!

Thanks,

Spencer 

_______________________________________________
Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Asveren, Tolga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 14:52:04 -0500

No new comments from me. Questions/concerns I had during the first
review are already answered.

Thanks,
Tolga

---

From: Volker Hilt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 17:08:15 -0500

I think this document is Ready. No new comments from me either.

Thanks,

Volker

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 14:49:02 -0500

inline:

Spencer Dawkins wrote:
>> Thanks for the review comments, Spencer. And to you also I owe an 
>> apology for the very tardy and delinquint response and document 
>> update. Responses below.
>>
>> Spencer Dawkins wrote:
>>> retransmission behavior. The current focus on UDP is the right place 
>>> to start, but perhaps it's worth looking at non-datagram transports 
>>> in a separate draft, and/or at some point in the future.
>>
>> great point. The discussion in section 4.1 is heavily skewed towards 
>> UDP. Its an unstated assumption in fact. I've fixed this, so that it 
>> explicitly says UDP and indicates how TCP is impacted. Generally, TCP 
>> is better, but you can still have retransmits of segments if the 
>> kernel can't acknowledge them fast enough.
> 
> The draft now points out relevant TCP behaviors (where it implicitly 
> assumed UDP in most of the discussion). That's fine. It might be useful 
> to say someplace that SCTP behaviors relevant to this draft are modeled 
> on TCP - the string "SCTP" doesn't appear in the draft at all.

I'll mention early on that this applies to other reliable transport also.

> just below the point you responded to. I didn't see any changes to the 
> draft that responded to this point (which would be fine, if the answer 
> was "no"), or any text in your e-mail that responded to it. It probably 
> got deleted when you snipped the rest of my review in your reply!

I think the answer is no.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                   499 Thornall St.
Cisco Fellow                                   Edison, NJ 08837
Cisco, Voice Technology Group
[email-masked]
http://www.jdrosen.net                         PHONE: (408) 902-3084
http://www.cisco.com