Subject: [siprec] cancel or restart/redo a recording

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:19:04 -0700

Something common with existing recording solutions is allowing the user
to cancel or restart/redo a recording (i.e. while leaving a voice
messages, cancel the existing message and start recording a new one).
I do not see anything in the SIPREC requirements or protocol drafts to
support this. This could be considered a special case of playback and
therefore lie outside the scope of SIPREC. Does anyone see this as a
problem?

Thanks,
Charles

---

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 11:02:52 +0200

Charles,

Looking at the requirements draft we have:
"REQ-017: The mechanism MUST support a means for a recording-aware
   UA involved in a CS to request during a session that the recording of
   the CS should be started, paused, resumed or stopped, the honoring of
   such a request being dependent on policy.  Such recording-aware UA
   MUST be notified about outcome of such requests."
The present mechanism proposal addresses this to some extent, but on a per medium basis. So the UA can request stopping / starting recording a given medium. There is no distinction between pausing and stopping and no distinction between resuming and starting. Stopping an entire recording could be done by a UA requesting that recording be stopped for each medium, but that assumes the particular UA is aware of (participating in) all the media. So an audio-only UA participating in an audio-video conference might not have the ability to request stopping the recording of video and therefore might not have the ability to request stopping the entire recording.

You specifically said "cancel or restart/redo". Cancel might seem to indicate that it be erased from the SRS archives, but I think we said anything to do with retention is a policy matter and out of scope. Also "redo" implies going back in time recording from the beginning again, which is hard to do (requires buffering at the SRC?). Or maybe you just meant start again after previously stopping the recording.

So the question is whether the existing mechanism is sufficient.

John

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Charles Eckel (eckelcu)
> Sent: 19 July 2011 00:19
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [siprec] cancel or restart/redo a recording
> 
> _______________________________________________
> siprec mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/siprec
>

---

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 07:56:16 -0700

Hi John,

To phrase it another way, I am looking for a way to:
1) start "My Recording" at time t+0
2) stop "My Recording" at time+1 because I messed up what I wanted to
say
3) erase "My Recording" at time+2
4) start "My Recording" at time+3 in hopes of expressing my message more
clearly
Repeat steps 2-4 as many times as necessary.

My goal is to have a single version of "My Recording". It seems that
instead I would have multiple versions, "My Recording 1", My Recording
2", etc., and I would use mechanism outside of the scope of SIPREC to
perhaps delete and rename the recordings to get the combination I
wanted.
Going back to my voicemail example, if I made several attempts at
leaving a voicemail for someone, I would really be creating multiple
recordings. Eventually the last recording would get put into the
voicemail box of the called party, and the other versions would still
exist but probably get deleted by some other mechanism.
As I understand it, SIPREC is concerned with facilitating the recording
of the various voicemail attempts. Ultimately selecting one of these
versions and erasing the rest is outside of the scope of SIPREC. I think
I am okay with that, but I wanted to make sure this was the intention of
the group.

Thanks,
Charles

> From: Elwell, John [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:03 AM
> To: Charles Eckel (eckelcu); [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: cancel or restart/redo a recording
> 
> Charles,
> 
> The present mechanism proposal addresses this to some extent, but on a
per medium basis. So the UA can
> request stopping / starting recording a given medium. There is no
distinction between pausing and
> stopping and no distinction between resuming and starting. Stopping an
entire recording could be done
> by a UA requesting that recording be stopped for each medium, but that
assumes the particular UA is
> aware of (participating in) all the media. So an audio-only UA
participating in an audio-video
> conference might not have the ability to request stopping the
recording of video and therefore might
> not have the ability to request stopping the entire recording.
> 
> You specifically said "cancel or restart/redo". Cancel might seem to
indicate that it be erased from
> the SRS archives, but I think we said anything to do with retention is
a policy matter and out of
> scope. Also "redo" implies going back in time recording from the
beginning again, which is hard to do
> (requires buffering at the SRC?). Or maybe you just meant start again
after previously stopping the
> recording.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 10:52:12 -0400

> Repeat steps 2-4 as many times as necessary.

So, you are trying to make this into the control interface for a 
voicemail server? Something akin to RTSP???

For that I think you would also want control over playback, so you could 
hear your recording.

While I guess siprec could be used as part of the infrastructure for a 
VM server, I don't know if it is really ideal for that. And even if so, 
I think this functionality is quite a different interface. IMO this is 
not in scope for the current effort.

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: "Charles Eckel (eckelcu)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:34:17 -0700

This works for me, and is in line with my understanding of what is
in/out of scope of SIPREC. I wanted to highlight it to make sure we are
all on the same page. 

Thanks,
Charles

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Paul Kyzivat
> Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:52 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [siprec] cancel or restart/redo a recording
> 
> >>     UA involved in a CS to request during a session that the
recording
> > of
> >>     the CS should be started, paused, resumed or stopped, the
honoring
> > of
> >>> I do not see anything in the SIPREC requirements or protocol
drafts
> > to