Subject: [Slim] use case document

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 23:48:14 -0400

Hi,

After a cursory reading of the SLIM charter and a quick read of the use-cases draft, the charter seems to indicate that non-realtime communication will be the initial focus, and specifically calls out email as the example However, the text of all the use-cases seems to refer to SDP, which is typically not a protocol used for email or traditional non-realtime communication.  Or did I miss something on the mailing list or document set ? (apologies, I just joined the list)

Thanks,
Randy

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 11:11:45 -0600

Randy Turner wrote:

> After a cursory reading of the SLIM charter and a quick read of the
> use-cases draft, the charter seems to indicate that non-realtime
> communication will be the initial focus, and specifically calls out
> email as the example However, the text of all the use-cases seems to
> refer to SDP, which is typically not a protocol used for email or
> traditional non-realtime communication.  Or did I miss something on
> the mailing list or document set ? (apologies, I just joined the list)

This is what I see in the charter:

"The group will address two specific cases that most urgently need a 
technical solution: One problem space is non-real-time communication, 
specifically email for one-to-many or where the set of recipients is 
dynamic or different recipients require different languages; the other 
is real-time communication, specifically emergency calling, preferably 
also useful for other cases where the parties may not know each other 
personally or where one party wishes to accommodate people with varying 
language and media needs."

and:

"The group will start by producing specifications for email and for 
real-time communications."

I certainly got the impression that the charter takes real-time and 
non–real-time scenarios into account equally.

OTOH, the use-cases document does appear to be focused on real-time 
scenarios.

--
Doug Ewell | http://ewellic.org | Thornton, CO 🇺🇸

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2016 14:34:40 -0400

> OTOH, the use-cases document does appear to be focused on real-time

The history here is that the two deliverables have somewhat distinct 
constituencies, but share a wg. What you see is an indication of the 
activity of the respective constituencies.

	Thanks,
	Paul