Subject: [smartpower-interest] XMPP messaging - smart grid

From: suhas aggarwal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 22:27:44 +0530

Respected sir,

I did a deep study of XMPP messaging protocol in my last assignment.In my
study,I implemented an XMPP client server incorporating event node
terminology.Basic Architecture is Sensor Readings taken by Sensor are
converted into XML format by a Sensor Over XMPP (SOX)Library by an
adapter.Adapter publishes these values(Items) to event nodes present in XMPP
server.Event nodes are virtual locations inside XMPP servers where items are
collected.Different XMPP clients can subscribe to different event nodes and
retrieve individual items.
Some key questions I have is - Can we use this architecture in a substation?
Can this architecture meet real time requirements considering extra
latencies induced by data formatting? Various IEDs can act as publisher and
subscriber which publish values to XMPP servers.This will also include
incorporation of adapter servers which collect data from merge unit,relay
IEDs, convert sensor data to XML format.My question is - Is this conversion
dataformatting really needed for IEDs communicating within local area
network?Is it needed for Local HMI?Is it needed to send data to control
center?
Moreover,adapter can have added advantage of intelligently combining sensor
values from different IEDs ,so that monitoring applications which are
interested in seeing and analysing data from multiple IEDs can
retrieve/obtain this data in a single document.Adapter can publish this item
in corresponding event node from which different applications interested can
retrieve from.
I am providing link to a related paper which discusses Sensor Andrew
Architecture used for critical infrastructure monitoring.
http://www.ices.cmu.edu/censcir/resources/SensorAndrew-Tech-Report.pdf

Sincerely,
Suhas Aggarwal

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 10:57:52 -0600

I've forwarded your message to the [email-masked] list because
there's been discussion of related topics (e.g., sensors) there.

On 7/14/11 10:57 AM, suhas aggarwal wrote:
> 
> Respected sir,
> 
> I did a deep study of XMPP messaging protocol in my last assignment.In
> my study,I implemented an XMPP client server incorporating event node
> adapter.Adapter publishes these values(Items) to event nodes present in
> XMPP server.Event nodes are virtual locations inside XMPP servers where
> items are collected.Different XMPP clients can subscribe to different
> event nodes and retrieve individual items.
> Some key questions I have is - Can we use this architecture in a
> substation? Can this architecture meet real time requirements
> considering extra latencies induced by data formatting? Various IEDs can
> act as publisher and subscriber which publish values to XMPP
> servers.This will also include incorporation of adapter servers which
> collect data from merge unit,relay IEDs, convert sensor data to XML
> format.My question is - Is this conversion dataformatting really needed
> for IEDs communicating within local area network?Is it needed for Local
> HMI?Is it needed to send data to control center?
> Moreover,adapter can have added advantage of intelligently combining
> sensor values from different IEDs ,so that monitoring applications which
> are interested in seeing and analysing data from multiple IEDs can
> retrieve/obtain this data in a single document.Adapter can publish this
> item in corresponding event node from which different applications
> interested can retrieve from.