Subject: Re: A New Triple-DES Key Wrap Algorithm

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 04:14:01 (NZDT)

Russ Housley <[email-masked]> writes:
 
>5.  Reverse the order of the four ciphertext blocks.
 
Wouldn't it be better to reverse the bytes rather than the blocks?  This makes 
the result independant of the block size of the algorithm (so it'll work with 
CFB mode as well), and it's rather easier to code than shuffling chunks of 
memory around.
 
Peter.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 09:57:32 -0500

Swapping the bytes and swapping the blocks would have the same impact as
far as I can tell.  Swapping bytes is probably easier to code, so I accpt
this improvement.

Russ