Subject: S/MIME interoperability testing.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 10:34:00 -0600

Paul,

I strongly support the idea of setting up an S/MIME-clean list
server that could be used for real-world S/MIME interoperability 
testing.

The results of my own rather extensive testing showed that
although the various products are relatively clean (but far from
perfect), the various list servers, corporate mail gateways, virus 
checking software, etc., etc., were far from being ready to 
handled signed or encrypted mail.

Testing all of the various combinations of mail processors,
certificate issuing software, etc., is quite time consuming
for any individual vendors, yet by spreading the load across a
number of cooperating users, can be accomplished rather easily.

Let's do it. And a hearty thank you to you, if you'll set up the list.

Bob

Signed with my 2048 bit dual-use key, in cleartext.

>>> Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]> 10/27/99 05:50PM >>>
At 05:20 PM 10/27/99 -0600, [email-masked] wrote:
>Maybe we should all start eating our own dog food, and
>actually use the stuff we're building, on this list in particular?

This list is for developing the S/MIME protocol, not for developing S/MIME 
applications. There's a big difference. Many people are on this list to 
follow CMS issues that have nothing to do with S/MIME MUAs. I think it's 
inappropriate to burden them with experiments in interoperability that have 
nothing to do with the protocol.

If people want, I'd be happy to set up an S/MIME developer's list for 
issues and testing such as this.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium