Subject: Re: Revised section 2.5 of draft-ietf-smime-x400transport-01

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:01:11 -0400

Chris:

I have a few comments on your proposed text.  See below.

If I do not hear concerns raised in the next few days, I will assign the 
OIDs that Chris needs to proceed on this path.

Russ

>2.5 Encoded Information Type Indication
>
>In [MSG], the application/pkcs7-mime content type and optional
>"smime-type" parameter are used to convey details about the
>security applied (signed or enveloped) along with infomation
>about the contained content.  This may aid receiving S/MIME
>implementations in correctly processing the secured content.
>Additional values of smime-type are defined in [ESS] and
>[X400WRAP]. In an X.400 transport environment, MIME typing is not
>available.  Therefore the equivalent semantic is conveyed using
>the Encoded Information Types (EITs).  The EITs are conveyed in
>the original-encoded-information-types field of the X.400 message
>envelope.  This memo defines the following smime-types.
>
>      smime-type       EIT Value (OID)
>      Security         Inner Content

It took me two or three readings to understand this "table."  Please 
replace "Security" with "CMS protection content type."

>      enveloped-data   id-eit-envelopedData
>      EnvelopedData    Data
>
>      signed-data      id-eit-signedData
>      SignedData       Data
>
>      cert-management  id-eit-certManagement
>      SignedData       none

Instead of "none," I personally prefer "empty (zero length content)."

>      signed-receipt   id-eit-signedReceipt
>      SignedData       Receipt
>
>      enveloped-x400   id-eit-envelopedx400
>      EnvelopedData    X.400 content
>
>      signed-x400      id-eit-signedx400
>      SignedData       X.400 content
>
>Sending agents SHOULD include the appropriate S/MIME EIT OID
>value.  Receiving agents SHOULD recognize S/MIME OID values in
>the EITs field, and process the message appropriately according
>to local procedures.
>
>In order that consistency can be obtained with future, the

I do not understand the introductory phrase.  Is there a word missing?

>following guidelines should be followed when assigning a new
>values of EIT.  Values assigned for S/MIME EITs should correspond
>to assigned smime-type values on a one to one basis.  The
>restrictions of section 3.2.2 of [MSG] therefore apply.  S/MIME
>EIT values may coexist with other EIT values intended to further
>qualify the makeup of the protected content.
>
>2.5.1 Enveloped Data
>
>The enveloped data EIT indicates that the X.400 content field
>contains a MIME type that has been protected by the CMS
>Enveloped-data content type in accordance with [MSG]. The
>resulting enveloped data CMS content is conveyed in accordance
>with section 2.2. This EIT should be indicated by the following
>OID value:
>
>     id-eit-envelopedData  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
>         { iso(1) member-body(2) us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1)
>         pkcs-9(9) smime(16) eits(***) envelopedData(0) }
>
>2.5.2 Signed Data
>
>The signed data EIT indicates that the X.400 content field
>contains a MIME type that has been protected by the CMS
>Signed-data content type in accordance with [MSG]. The resulting
>signed data CMS content is conveyed in accordance with section
>2.2. This EIT should be indicated by the following OID value:
>
>    id-eit-signedData  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
>         { iso(1) member-body(2) us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1)
>         pkcs-9(9) smime(16) eits(***) signedData(1) }
>
>2.5.3 Certificate Management
>
>The certificate management message is used to transport
>certificates and/or CRLs, such as in response to a registration
>request. The certificate management message consists of a single
>instance of CMS content of type Signed-data.  The
>encapContentInfo eContent field MUST be absent and signerInfos
>field MUST be empty. The resulting certificate management CMS
>content is conveyed in accordance with section 2.2. This EIT
>should be indicated by the following OID value:
>
>     id-eit-certManagement  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
>         { iso(1) member-body(2) us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1)
>         pkcs-9(9) smime(16) eits(***) certManagement(2) }
>
>2.5.4 Signed Receipt
>
>The signed receipt EIT indicates that the X.400 content field
>contains a Receipt content that has been protected by the CMS
>Signed-data content type in accordance with [ESS]. The resulting
>signed data CMS content is conveyed in accordance with section
>2.2. This EIT should be indicated by the following OID value:
>
>     id-eit-signedReceipt  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
>         { iso(1) member-body(2) us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1)
>         pkcs-9(9) smime(16) eits(***) signedReceipt(3) }
>
>2.5.5 Enveloped X.400
>
>The enveloped X.400 EIT indicates that the X.400 content field
>contains X.400 content that has been protected by the CMS
>Enveloped-data content type in accordance with [X400WRAP]. The
>resulting enveloped X.400 CMS content is conveyed in accordance
>with section 2.2. This EIT should be indicated by the following
>OID value:
>
>     id-eit-envelopedX400  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
>         { iso(1) member-body(2) us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1)
>         pkcs-9(9) smime(16) eits(***) envelopedX400(4) }
>
>2.5.6 Signed X.400
>
>The signed X.400 EIT indicates that the X.400 content field
>contains X.400 content that has been protected by the CMS
>Signed-data content type in accordance with [X400WRAP]. The
>resulting signed X.400 CMS content is conveyed in accordance with
>section 2.2. This EIT should be indicated by the following OID
>value:
>
>     id-eit-signedX400  OBJECT IDENTIFIER ::=
>         { iso(1) member-body(2) us(840) rsadsi(113549) pkcs(1)
>         pkcs-9(9) smime(16) eits(***) signedX400(5) }

---

From: "Bonatti, Chris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:44:56 -0400

Russ,

    I concur with your comments.  More detailed responses in line.

Chris

_________________________

> replace "Security" with "CMS protection content type."

Okay.

> Instead of "none," I personally prefer "empty (zero length content)."

Okay, I think this is your phrasing is less ambiguous.

> >values of EIT.

Actually, I stole that bit of text from 3.2.2. of MSG.  I guess I would
propose the following to replace that sentence in this context.

     In order that consistency can be obtained in future S/MIME EIT
     assignments, the following guidelines should be followed when
     assigning a new values of EIT.

I think that is what was meant by the original text.

Chris