Subject: draft-ietf-smime-esformats Commitment Indication Type Attribute

From: Bernd Kunze <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 19:27:58 +0200

In this draft we have the Commitment Indication Type Attribute indicating a
type of commitment to the message. We have a generic type proofOfApproval.
But in some cases I would not approve the message and tell it to the other
party. But there is no generic type to indicate that. 
Is there a way to add this as a new generic commitment type?

Bernd

---

From: Denis Pinkas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:05:40 +0200

Bernd,

> Is there a way to add this as a new generic commitment type?

If someone does not approve, then he should not sign ! So expressing
disapproval, does not require the definition of a new commitment type.  

Generally speaking, should there be the need to define an additional
commitment type, just use an OID of your choice.

A requirements study would be needed to define additional generic commitment
types. Until we have some return from experience this seems difficult at
this time, ... unless you would already have a document where such a study
has been done. When this happens, a companion document could refrence or
define additional commitment types.

Denis