Subject: S/MIME support in X.400

From: "Hegde, Vijaykumar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:10:21 +0530

Hello everybody,
                I am Vijay Hegde from Digital Globalsoft Limited ( formerly
known as Digital India). Currently our team is exploring the possibility of
S/MIME support in X.400. We are closely following the S/MIME discussion and
drafts at IETF.  
                
                I have a couple of queries regarding
"draft-ietf-smime-x400transport-03.txt".
 
1.What is the ASN.1 syntax used for representing a S/MIME content ? For IPM,
the ASN.1 syntax is defined in X.420. For EDI, the syntax is X.435. Are
there any similar representations defined for S/MIME content ?
 
2. We use XAPI defined by X/OPEN to build the messages. Are there any
OID's/integer value defined to represent S/MIME content. i.e. the value for
MH_T_CONTENT_TYPE. Also, are you aware of any plans on behalf of X/OPEN to
support S/MIME, these drafts ?

Thanks in advance,
Vijay Hegde

---

From: Graeme Lunt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 17:01:48 +0100

Vijay,

> the ASN.1 syntax is defined in X.420. For EDI, the syntax is X.435. Are
there 
> any similar representations defined for S/MIME content ?

You will find the ASN.1 syntax in RFC 2630 (CMS) and RFC 2634 (ESS)

> support S/MIME, these drafts ?

Here are the definitions are you might see them in the X/APIs. 
They are aligned with the latest draft.

/* Content Identifiers */
#define OMP_O_MM_CTO_CMS
"\x2A\x86\x48\x86\xF7\x0D\x01\x09\x10\x01\x06"
#define OMP_O_MM_CTO_MIMECMS          "\x2A\x86\x48\x86\xF7\x0D\x01\x07\x01"

You want to use the first for S/MIME wrapped X.400 content.

I don't know of X/OPEN doing anything to specifically support CMS. 
The above definitions, with a binary content, is sufficient (at least for
me).

Graeme