Subject: IETF 60 SMIME Minutes

From: "Sean P. Turner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:31:21 -0400

Minutes for Secure MIME (S/MIME) WG Meeting

IETF #60

Tuesday PM III Session

Agenda: Blake Ramsdell covered the agenda for the meeting. No changes
were made.

Working Group Status: Blake Ramsdell covered the status of the active
documents in the working group.  the documents that have changed status
since the last meeting are:

Published as RFC:

- draft-ietf-smime-rfc2632bis-08 is now approved as
RFC 3850

- draft-ietf-smime-rfc2633bis-10 is
now approved as RFC 3851

- draft-ietf-smime-rfc3369bis-05 is
now approved as RFC 3852

- draft-ietf-smime-x400wrap-09 is now
approved as RFC 3854

- draft-ietf-smime-x400transport-09
is now approved as RFC 3855

RFC Editor Queue:

- PSS is pinned by a PSS document in PKIX.  schaad reported that PSS has
also been awaiting an IESG write-up since April.  housley
indicated that he would check on this.

- SYMKEYDIST is pinned by CMCbis (from PKIX) which is in turn pinned by
CRMFbis (from PKIX).

Others:

- EXAMPLES - A new release incorporates some edits,
but is essentially done.  New version
was after deadline, so will go to WG Last Call as soon as queue opens
up.

- GOST - Some editorial issues to take
care of.  Draft is good until October.

- KEM - See later discussion.

- RFC2624bis - Not yet published; fixes some problems
with ML expansion and receipt policy; moves them into separate
attributes.

Milestone Updates:

- Updates to MSG and CERT
for Proposed Standards.

- Submitted RSA PSS as a Proposed
Standard

- Milestones themselves need to be updated to more realistic dates
especially for RSA KEM.

KEM Status - ramsdell
said
he received a status update from burt
kaliski (RSA)
on KEM. RSA KEM I-D has alignment relationship with ISO/IEC 18033-2
and ANSI X9.44. Outstanding issues in X9.44 include: text on assurance
of validity of public keys, possession of private key, and security
considerations.  Clearly these need to be resolved before advancing.
Expect substantial completion of ISO/IEC 18033-2 and ANSI
X9.44 in mid-2005 with formalities continuing into 2006.
The KEM I-D will be updated to track these,
but should not be finalized until balloting begins.  PKCS
#1 may also be updated.
Upshot is that we will probably not complete the KEM I-D until
late 2005
or early 2006.

Formats for Long Term Electronic
Signatures - ross
briefly
introduced the background of the project for ETSI to establish
guidelines for
digital signatures that will have legal standing. RFC 3126 was produced
to align with the ETSI document.  Additional changes to the underlying
signature standards
(CMS, etc.) have somewhat advanced the discussion.  The updated I-D
that would obsolete RFC 3126.  housley
asked whether he was asking to take this on as a WG item.  10
or so were in favor, and no objections were
voiced.

Boneh-Franklin Identity Based Encryption in S/MIME - martin
presented this proposal for an alternative to PKI-based encryption.  Based on a process for deriving a public key
based on a string representation of the user identity.  The
mechanism relies on supersingular
elliptic curves.  It uses a Tate pairing
on a particular supersingular curve that has been tested to ensure that
it
isn’t cryptographically “bad”.  The
public key must be obtained from a key server so it isn’t good for
digital
signature, but is okay for encryption.
Bottom line is that this is being proposed as an alternative key
exchange mechanism for use with CMS/SMIME.  There were technical
questions about how the identity is bound to the identity string, and
there were IPR questions.  ramsdell
indicated that the politics of the solution aside, he considered this
interesting to the WG as something that is using CMS.  ramsdell
summarized that the WG is basically in a monitoring mode with respect
to this
proposal, but there are clearly some concerns wrt IPR and complexity.  He noted that that he would like to see some
more before definition considering this any further.  turner pointed out
that you could still develop the draft as an individual submission.  housley
remarked that this would give people an opportunity better evaluate the
idea.

X.509 S/MIME Capabilities - santesson gave
an overview of his proposal that the S/MIME Capabilities attribute from
RFC
2633 be included in the user certificate.  The proposal is to include
the attribute as a non-critical extension as opposed to in the subject
directory attributes extension.  ramsdell asked
if there were any opposition to bringing this in as a WG item. No
opposition was expressed.

Other Business: There was some discussion
about closing the WG, but it was decided to poll the WG for work items
prior to each meeting to better assess whether it should meet at future
IETF meetings.

---

From: "Sean P. Turner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:56:29 -0400

Seeing no comments I'll pass these on to the proceedings folks.

Sean P. Turner wrote:

IETF #60

Tuesday PM III Session

Published as RFC:

RFC Editor Queue:

Others:

Milestone Updates:

KEM Status - ramsdell
said

Bottom line is that this is being proposed as an alternative
key