Subject: WG Last Call: draft-ietf-smime-examples-14.txt

From: "Sean P. Turner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 18:40:32 -0400

Dear S/MIME WG:

This message initiates an SMIME Working Group Last Call on the document:

   Title           : Examples of S/MIME Messages
   Author(s)       : P. Hoffman
   Filename        : draft-ietf-smime-examples-14.txt
   Pages           : A lot
   Date            : 2004-8-4

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-examples-14.txt

The intent is to publish this document as a Informational RFC.

The purpose of this WG Last Call is to ensure that the Working Group has
achieved consensus that the document is suitable for publication as a
Proposed Standard.

Please review the document for both technical and editorial problems.
Technical issues should be discussed on this list.  Editorial issues may
be sent to the document editor.

The Last Call period will end on Tuesday, August 25, 2004.

Remember that it is our responsibility as Working Group members to
ensure the quality of our documents and of the Internet Standards
process.  So, please read and comment!

Cheers,

spt

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:02:32 -0400

I have a few comments.

TECHNICAL

The references are obsolete.  The normative references are:

    [CMS] Cryptographic Message Syntax, RFC 2630.

    [PKIX] PKIX Certificate and CRL Profile, RFC 2459.

    [SMIME-MSG] S/MIME Version 3 Message Specification. RFC 2633.

A new version of each of these documents has been published as a 
standards-track RFC.

Please delete the following paragraphs from the Introduction prior to 
submission to the IESG:

    This draft is being discussed on the 'ietf-smime-examples' mailing list.
    To join the list, send a message to [email-masked]
    with the single word "subscribe" in the body of the message.  Also,
    there is a Web site for the mailing list at
    <http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime-examples/>. Note that S/MIME itself is
    discussed in the IETF's S/MIME Working Group; see
    <http://www.imc.org/ietf-smime/> for more information.

    To contribute an implementation of an unimplemented example listed in
    this document, to verify that you got the same results as an example
    listed here, or to suggest a new example that should be listed, please
    contact the document author at the address listed near the end of the
    document.

EDITORIAL

Section 1 says:

    The examples shown here were created and validated by many different
    people over a long period of time.

This seems like a good place to say something about the dates used in the 
examples.  I see no need to generate new examples will more recent dates; 
however, the implementor should be warned about the dates used in the 
examples.  The certificates have very long lifespans to avoid having to 
play with clock settings.

In section 2: s/in this spec./in this document./

Russ

---

From: Paul Hoffman / VPNC <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:37:37 -0700

>I have a few comments.

Thanks! I'll fix all these things at the end of WG last call, before 
it goes to the IESG.

More comments are welcome, of course.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium