Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-smime-certcapa-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:34:18 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Certificate extension for S/MIME Capabilities
	Author(s)	: S. Santesson
	Filename	: draft-ietf-smime-certcapa-02.txt
	Pages		: 5
	Date		: 2004-12-13
	
This document defines a certificate extension for inclusion of S/MIME
   capabilities in public key certificates defined by RFC 3280.

   S/MIME Capabilities provides an optional method to communicate
   cryptographic capabilities of the certified subject as a complement
   to use of the S/MIME Capabilities signed attribute in S/MIME messages
   according to RFC 3851.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-certcapa-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-smime-certcapa-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-smime-certcapa-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Jim Schaad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:01:04 -0800

Stefan,

A couple of small comments on the draft, although I believe that it could go
to last call in its current state.

1.  In section 2 you have the statement 'Algorithms should be ordered by
preference.'  As I general rule I attempt to avoid the use of must, should
and may when writing documents to avoid confusion with MUST, SHOULD and MAY
(did he just forget to capatilize it?).  A better statement might be
'Algorithms are expected to be be ordered by preference'.

2.  I would like to see the addition of a paragraph describing the types of
capabilities that are expected to be listed.  It seems obious that bulk
encryption algorithms are listed as, potentially, are key encryption
algorithms (consider RSA-OAEP as an example).  However it is not clear about
some of the other potential capabililties.  What about signature and hash
algorithms?  What about MAC algorithms?  What about S/MIME specifics such as
id-cap-preferBinaryInside?

3.  RFC 2199 is a reference, but the text refering to it is absent.

4.  RFC 3280 is referenced only from the abstract.  Duplicate text should be
placed in section 1.

jim