Subject: RFC 4262 on X.509 Certificate Extension for Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME) Capabilities

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:11:49 -0800

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4262

        Title:      X.509 Certificate Extension for
                    Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions
                    (S/MIME) Capabilities
        Author(s):  S. Santesson
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       December 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Characters: 9801
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-smime-certcapa-05.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4262.txt

This document defines a certificate extension for inclusion of
Secure/Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (S/MIME)
Capabilities in X.509 public key certificates, as defined by RFC
3280.  This certificate extension provides an optional method to
indicate the cryptographic capabilities of an entity as a complement
to the S/MIME Capabilities signed attribute in S/MIME messages
according to RFC 3851.

This document is a product of the S/MIME Mail Security Working Group
of the IETF.  

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for
the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the
"Internet Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution
of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.