Subject: MIME-Version or not?

From: Joachim Abrahmsén <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 17:14:52 +0200

Hi,

The energy sector in Sweden decided to use S/MIME for exchanging
EDIFACT-messages between different actors, where an EDIFACT-message is
encoded in an inner MIME-entity (RFC 1777). However, an interoperability
issue have turned up.

Some system developers have interpreted the RFC's as the 'MIME-Version'
should only be included in the outer MIME-entity and not in the inner
MIME-entity, while others have included 'MIME-Version' in both inner and
outer MIME-entity.

When I read section 3.1 of RFC 2311 (S/MIME v2) and RFC 3851 (S/MIME 3.1) I
would say that 'MIME-Version' should be included in both inner and outer
MIME-entity as they are unrelated.

Could someone please confirm which is the correct interpretation.

Thanks,

Joachim Abrahmsén
Security Consultant
Steria AB
http://www.steria.se

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:25:47 -0700

>MIME-entity as they are unrelated.

That is certainly how I would interpret it. What is the logic of the 
people who say that there should not be a MIME-version on the outer 
message?

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium