Subject: [smime] Use of subjectKeyIdentifier

From: Michael Ströder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 19:19:35 +0200

HI!

If an S/MIME cert does not contain a subjectKeyIdentifier extension is a
sending S/MIME MUA allowed to generate RecipientInfos referencing the
receiver's cert by (self-calculated) subjectKeyIdentifier (instead of issuer
name and serial number)?

IMHO RFC 5750 is not really clear on that.

Ciao, Michael.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:25:11 -0400

I think it would be better for use the issuer/serial approach in that
case.  There is more than one way to compute the subjectKeyIdentifier
value, even if one is preferred.  So, it would be ambiguous if the
extension was not included in the certificate.

Russ

On 3/31/2010 1:19 PM, Michael Ströder wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> smime mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/smime
>