Subject: [smime] Fwd: Protocol Action: 'Algorithms for Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) Protection of Symmetric Key Package Content Types' to Proposed Standard (draft-turner-cms-symmetrickeypackage-algs-00.txt)

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 08:05:41 -0800

Of interest to this list.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Protocol Action: 'Algorithms for Cryptographic Message Syntax 
(CMS)	Protection of Symmetric Key Package Content Types' to Proposed 
Standard (draft-turner-cms-symmetrickeypackage-algs-00.txt)
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 07:47:55 -0800
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
CC: Internet Architecture Board <[email-masked]>,        RFC Editor 
<[email-masked]>

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Algorithms for Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)   Protection of
    Symmetric Key Package Content Types'
   (draft-turner-cms-symmetrickeypackage-algs-00.txt) as a Proposed
Standard

This document has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an
IETF Working Group.

The IESG contact person is Tim Polk.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-turner-cms-symmetrickeypackage-algs/

Technical Summary

    This document describes the conventions for using several cryptographic
    algorithms with the Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS) to protect the
    symmetric key package content type (RFC 6031).  Specifically, it
    includes conventions necessary to implement SignedData, EnvelopedData,
    EncryptedData, and AuthEnvelopedData.

Working Group Summary

    As noted earlier, this draft is not the product of a WG, but it was
    forwarded to both the KEYPROV WG for review and comment.  No comments
    were received.  This can be attributed to the fact that it is almost
    identical to RFC 5959.  The exceptions are that a) it's for the
    Symmetric Key Package Content Type as Asymmetric Key Package, and b) it
    adds ECC algs as a MAYs.

Document Quality

     There are no known implementations of this document.

Personnel

     Sean Turner <[email-masked]> is the document Shepherd.
     Tim Polk <[email-masked]> is the responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

#1) In section 3 please replace:

OLD:

When key agreement is used, a key wrap algorithm is also specified to
wrap the content encryption key.

NEW:

When key agreement is used, the same key wrap algorithm MUST be used for
both key and content encryption.

#2)  Please perform the following substitutions throughout the document:

s/key encryption key/key-encryption key/
s/key encryption algorithm/key-encryption algorithm/
s/content encryption key/content-encryption key/
s/content encryption algorithm/content-encryption algorithm/
_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce