Subject: [smime] [Errata Verified] RFC5652 (6250)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 22:00:34 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been verified for RFC5652,
"Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6250

--------------------------------------
Status: Verified
Type: Technical

Reported by: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2020-08-06
Verified by: Benjamin Kaduk (IESG)

Section: 9.2

Original Text
-------------
   If the authAttrs field is present, the content-type attribute (as
   described in Section 11.1) and the message-digest attribute (as
   described in Section 11.2) MUST be included, and the input to the MAC
   calculation process is the DER encoding of authAttrs.  A separate
   encoding of the authAttrs field is performed for message digest
   calculation.  The IMPLICIT [2] tag in the authAttrs field is not used
   for the DER encoding, rather an EXPLICIT SET OF tag is used.  That
   is, the DER encoding of the SET OF tag, rather than of the IMPLICIT
   [2] tag, is to be included in the message digest calculation along
   with the length and content octets of the authAttrs value.

Corrected Text
--------------
   If the authAttrs field is present, the content-type attribute (as
   described in Section 11.1) and the message-digest attribute (as
   described in Section 11.2) MUST be included, and the input to the MAC
   calculation process is the DER encoding of authAttrs.  A separate
   encoding of the authAttrs field is performed for message digest
   calculation.  The IMPLICIT [2] tag in the authAttrs field is not used
   for the DER encoding, rather an EXPLICIT SET OF tag is used.  That
   is, the DER encoding of the SET OF tag, rather than of the IMPLICIT
   [2] tag, is to be included in the MAC calculation along
   with the length and content octets of the authAttrs value.

Notes
-----
The paragraph is talking about the input to a MAC calculation, not the input to message digest calculation.

--------------------------------------
RFC5652 (draft-ietf-smime-rfc3852bis-00)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Cryptographic Message Syntax (CMS)
Publication Date    : September 2009
Author(s)           : R. Housley
Category            : DRAFT STANDARD
Source              : S/MIME Mail Security
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 08:15:20 -0400

> From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> Subject: [Errata Verified] RFC5652 (6250)
> Date: August 7, 2020 at 1:00:34 AM EDT
> To: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>, [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> 
> https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6250 <https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6250>
>