Subject: Re: Review of draft-ietf-snmpconf-bcp-07

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 12:23:49 -0000

I have made extensive use of SNMP to configure routers; in
fact, I've known it be the standard way of doing it once the
initial IP/SNMP support is configured into the router.  This
is in a high availability, high security environment, using
vendor-provided tools and (of course) vendor proprietary
MIB.

But I am talking Enterprise, not Operator, which is why I
stayed quiet at Salt Lake City.

Tom Petch, Network Consultant
[email-masked]

---

From: John Schnizlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:20:17 -0500

>vendor-provided tools and (of course) vendor proprietary

Are you using SNMPv3? How do you manage keys? 
How do you control which administrators can write which variables?
Could you please identify the router and vendor-provided tools?

>stayed quiet at Salt Lake City.

Whoever operates the network is what matters, not whether it is
a commercial service provider or within an enterprise.

>[email-masked]

John