Subject: [Softwires] A General Question for Flow Label Usage

From: "Lee, Yiu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:08:05 -0400

Hi,

In RFC 3697, it says:

"A flow is a sequence of packets sent from a particular source to a
   particular unicast, anycast, or multicast destination that the source
   desires to label as a flow."

It later says the usage of a flow:

"The usage of the 3-tuple of the Flow Label and the Source and
   Destination Address fields enables efficient IPv6 flow
   classification, where only IPv6 main header fields in fixed positions
   are used."

I am confused why we can't use a flow label to effectively identify a flow
from a host behind a CPE in the AFTR. In what part this usage is against the
specification?

Thanks,
Yiu

---

From: "Lee, Yiu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 16:18:40 -0400

Removed the incorrect NAT66 reference.

On 7/30/10 4:08 PM, "Yiu Leung Lee" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Softwires mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 08:57:35 +1200

>> from a host behind a CPE in the AFTR. In what part this usage is against the

The devil is in the details. You'd have to define the use case completely
before I (as a co-author of 3697) would try to answer the question.

The use case still has to work with hosts that do not set a flow label,
which is of course essentially all of them today.

   Brian