Subject: [Softwires] draft-guo-softwire-6rd-ipv6-config-00

From: "Lee, Yiu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:55:16 -0400

Hi Dayong and Xiaohu,

I got a question for Section 4. Is there any particular reason why the
6RD-CE or the IPv6 must know the IPv6 address of a DNS server? The 6RD-CE
can act as a DNS proxy advertise itself as DNS server in RA to the v6 host.
Then the 6RD-CE proxies the v6 dns messages from the v6 host to a v4 DNS
server in the network.

Thanks,
Yiu

---

From: Xu Xiaohu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:14:20 +0800

Hi Yiu,

Your observation is correct. DNS Proxy [RFC5625] together with IPv6 Router
Advertisement Option for DNS [RFC5006] can still be used in case that DNS
server is the only configuration information which is needed by the
IPv6-only hosts. One minor benefit of the DHCPv4 option for IPv6 DNS server
(see Section 4) over the DNS proxy approach is: the 6rd domain operator
could deploy separate DNS servers for A RR resolution and AAAA RR resolution
respectively.

Anyway, it is the DHCPv4 option for DHCPv6 servers (see Section 3) that we
are mainly focusing on in this draft. With this new DHCPv4 option, the IPv6
only hosts could obtain other configuration information besides DNS servers,
such as SIP servers and NTP servers.

Best wishes,
Xiaohu

> -----邮件原件-----
> 发件人: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 代
表
> Lee, Yiu
> 发送时间: 2010年7月21日 21:55
> 收件人: [email-masked]
> 主题: [Softwires] draft-guo-softwire-6rd-ipv6-config-00
> 
> Hi Dayong and Xiaohu,
>