Subject: [Softwires] draft-despres-softwire-sam-01

From: Rémi Després <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:07:29 +0200

Hi,

draft-despres-softwire-sam-01 has been posted.
 
No time slot is planned at this IETF meeting to present it, but:
- Questions and comments are welcome at any time 
- It is in part a complement to draft-despres-softwire-6rdplus-00 for which a time slot is expected.

Regards, 
RD

Abstract:

Stateless Address Mapping (SAM) is a generic mechanism to statelessly
establish tunnels, point-to-multipoint, for packets of an address
family that traverse domains whose routing is in another address
family (mesh softwires).  It extends tunneling principles of [6rd] to
other address-family combination than IPv6 across IPv4 domains.  It
thus introduces, for a variety of use cases, a simpler mesh-softwire
model than that of [RFC5565].

Among SAM use cases, some are solutions to previously unsolved
problems: native IPv6 across IPv4 NATs, with optimized paths;
multihoming with independent CPEs and provider-aggregatable prefixes;
public IPv4 addresses across IPv6-only domains with optimized paths;
static sharing of IPv4 addresses, without impact on routing
information bases.

Table of Contents:

   1.  Introduction . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
   2.  The SAM model  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
     2.1.  Terminology  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  3
     2.2.  C-SAM and P-SAM Parameters -  Mapping Rules  . . . . . . .  6
     2.3.  Encapsulation and Fragmentation Considerations . . . . . .  7
     2.4.  Port sets of IPv4E prefixes  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
     2.5.  Acquisition of Parameters by P-SAMs and C-SAMs . . . . . .  9
   3.  Use-Case examples  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  9
     3.1.  Native IPv6 across NAT44 CPEs (6rd+) . . . . . . . . . . .  9
     3.2.  Public IPv4 addresses and IPv4E prefixes across
           IPv6-only Domains (4rd)  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 10
     3.3.  Multihoming and Renumbering with PA Prefixes . . . . . . . 12
     3.4.  An Experiment at Telecom Bretagne  . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
   4.  Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16
   5.  IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
   6.  Acknowledgments  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
   7.  References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
     7.1.  Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
     7.2.  Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
   Author's Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20