Subject: [Softwires] Comment on draft-ietf-softwire-4rd-02

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 14:41:37 -0500

Hi Remi,

I was reading this draft and one sentence in the abstract drew my attention:

To cope with the IPv4 address shortage, customers can be
   assigned IPv4 addresses with restricted port sets.

I think this means A+P at the customer level.

I was under the impression that A+P use in 4rd was restricted to the CE level.

As you know A+P has limitations, i.e. it can not be used on shared
links such as 802.3 or 802.11.
I am not sure if it is mentioned in the draft.

I thought this feature was not in draft-despres-softwire-4rd-00 at
least the above sentence is not in the abstract.

Have you attended 2009 BoF on A+P?
There the message was clear: do not use A+P at the customer level.

What is the point of bringing it back? 4rd does it or does it not
already help in IPv4 address shortage?

Regards,

Behcet

---

From: Rémi Després <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 09:38:41 +0200

Hi, Behcet,

In the abstract, "customers" is intended to mean customers *of operators* (CPEs, not end-user hosts).
This can be clarified by, for example, replacing "customers" by "customer sites".
Agreed?

Thanks,
RD

Le 2012-07-11 à 21:41, Behcet Sarikaya a écrit :

> _______________________________________________
> Softwires mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/softwires

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 12:23:18 -0500

> This can be clarified by, for example, replacing "customers" by "customer sites".

Agreed :-).

That resolves my concern.
My comment applies to MAP as well if the same support I mentioned
exists there, I need to check it.

Regards,

Behcet

---

From: Peng Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 19:46:09 +0800

Hi Behcet,

About the statement of "do not use A+P at the customer level", could
you provide some background information, For example list the reasons?

BTW, for the record, what does "customer" mean exactly here? Is home
gateway also a customer-level terminology, or you only mean do not
apply A+P to IPv6-connected host?

Thanks a lot.