Subject: [Softwires] Document Action: 'Public IPv4 over IPv6 Access Network' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-softwire-public-4over6-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 17:23:41 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Public IPv4 over IPv6 Access Network'
  (draft-ietf-softwire-public-4over6-10.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Softwires Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ted Lemon and Brian Haberman.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-softwire-public-4over6/

Technical Summary:

This document proposes a mechanism for hosts or customer networks in
an IPv6 access network to build bidirectional IPv4 communication with
the other IPv4 hosts on the Internet.  The mechanism follows the hub
and spokes softwire model, and uses an IPv4-over-IPv6 tunnel as a
basic method to traverse IPv6 network.

Working Group Summary:

The working group had active discussion on the draft and the current
text of the draft is representative of the consensus of the working
group. One of the major issues that was raised during the discussions
was that the scheme proposed in the document overlaps with the
standards track solution described in the unified CPE draft. The
document was then rewritten as Informational to serve as a record of a
deployed solution rather than tring to define an alternative solution.

Document Quality:

The document has received adequate review. The Document Shepherd has
no concerns about the depth or breadth of these reviews. There are
several implementations of the scheme described in the document and
they have been deployed in educational networks across China.

Personnel:

Who is the Document Shepherd? Who is the Responsible Area Director?

Suresh Krishnan is the document shepherd. Ted Lemon is the responsible
AD.