Subject: [lamps] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lamps-header-protection-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 14:51:36 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Limited Additional Mechanisms for PKIX and SMIME WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Header Protection for S/MIME
        Authors         : Daniel Kahn Gillmor
                          Bernie Hoeneisen
                          Alexey Melnikov
	Filename        : draft-ietf-lamps-header-protection-03.txt
	Pages           : 47
	Date            : 2021-02-22

Abstract:
   S/MIME version 3.1 has introduced a feasible standardized option to
   accomplish Header Protection.  However, few implementations generate
   messages using this structure, and several legacy and non-legacy
   implementations have revealed rendering issues at the receiving side.
   Clearer specifications regarding message processing, particularly
   with respect to header sections, are needed in order to resolve these
   rendering issues.  Some mail user agents are also sending and
   receiving cryptographically-protected message headers using a
   different structure.

   In order to help implementers to correctly compose and render email
   messages with Header Protection, this document updates S/MIME Header
   Protection specifications with additional guidance on MIME format,
   sender and receiver processing.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-header-protection/

There is also an HTML version available at:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-ietf-lamps-header-protection-03.html

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-lamps-header-protection-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 16:48:39 -0500

Hi LAMPS folks--

> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-lamps-header-protection-03.txt

I've pushed the latest version of this draft, incorporating changes that
we spoke about at the last IETF.  Since Bernie hasn't had as much time
to work on it lately, I've taken over as the lead editor for now.

Chairs, if i could have 10-15 minutes to talk about this work at IETF
110, i would appreciate it.

The two most critical takeaways from the changelog:

      -  describe two distinct formats "Wrapped Message" and "Injected
         Headers"

      -  Introduce Header Confidentiality Policy model

I'm currently working on further cleanup of the draft and generation and
of test vectors, and publication of those examples in an accessible
location.  Those changes and should be ready in time for the session.

Note that the document is now tracked in its own git repository, with a
simplified workflow so it should be easier for people to get involved
with proposing changes.

I've put that repository at
https://gitlab.com/dkg/lamps-header-protection because if there's a
LAMPS github or gitlab organization i'm unaware of it.  If such an
organization exists, i'd be happy to re-host the git repo under the
offical aegis of the LAMPS WG, please let me know.

    --dkg