Subject: [lamps] Benjamin Kaduk's No Objection on draft-ietf-lamps-cms-aes-gmac-alg-03: (with COMMENT)

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 14:50:10 -0800

Benjamin Kaduk has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-lamps-cms-aes-gmac-alg-03: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lamps-cms-aes-gmac-alg/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Section 7

   Implementers should be aware that cryptographic algorithms become
   weaker with time.  As new cryptanalysis techniques are developed and
   computing performance improves, the work factor to break a particular
   cryptographic algorithm will reduce.  Therefore, cryptographic
   algorithm implementations should be modular allowing new algorithms
   to be readily inserted.  That is, implementers should be prepared to
   regularly update the set of algorithms in their implementations.

I think that BCP 201 is a good reference for further reading here.

Section 8.2

If we're importing ASN.1 bits from RFC 5912, doesn't that make it a
normative reference?

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 18:26:45 -0500

Okay, when the I-D repository opens, I can make this changes.

RFC 5912 is already in the downref registry, so making it a normative reference will not cause a new IEF Last Call.

Russ

> On Feb 23, 2021, at 5:50 PM, Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
>

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 15:28:54 -0800

> RFC 5912 is already in the downref registry, so making it a normative reference will not cause a new IEF Last Call.

Sounds good; thanks.

-Ben