Subject: [Speechsc] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-speechsc-reqts-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2002 07:14:33 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Speech Services Control Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Requirements for Distributed Control of ASR, SI/SV and
                          TTS Resources
	Author(s)	: E. Burger, D. Oran
	Filename	: draft-ietf-speechsc-reqts-01.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2002-10-7
	
This document outlines the needs and requirements for a protocol to 
control distributed speech processing of audio streams.  By speech 
processing, this document specifically means automatic speech 
recognition, speaker recognition (which includes both speaker 
identification and speaker verification) and text-to-speech.  Other 
IETF protocols, such as SIP and RTSP, address rendezvous and control 
for generalized media streams.  However, speech processing presents 
additional requirements that none of the extant IETF protocols 
address. 
Discussion of this and related documents is on the speechsc mailing 
list.  To subscribe, send the message 'subscribe speechsc' to 
[email-masked].  The public archive is at 
http://www.ietf.org/mail-
archive/workinggroups/speechsc/current/maillist.html.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-speechsc-reqts-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-speechsc-reqts-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-speechsc-reqts-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Skip Cave" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:32:56 -0500

5.3.      Avoid Duplicating Existing Protocols 
    
   To the extent feasible, SPEECHSC SHOULD NOT duplicate the 
   functionality of existing protocols.  For example, SIP with msuri 
   [12] and RTSP already define how to request playback of audio.  
   The focus of SPEECHSC is new functionality not addressed by existing 
   protocols or extending existing protocols within the strictures of 
   requirement 5.2. Where an existing protocol can be gracefully 
   extended to support SPEECHSC requirements, such extensions are 
   acceptable alternatives for meeting the requirements. 

As a corollary to this, SPEECHSC should not require a separate protocol to perform one or two functions that could be easily added into the SPEECHSC protocol (like redirecting media streams, or discovering capabilities).

6.3.     Control Channel 
    
   The SPEECHSC framework MUST be capable of establishing the control 
   channel between the client and server on a per-session basis, where 
   a session is loosely defined to be associated with a single ?call? 
   or ?dialog?. The protocol SHOULD be capable of maintaining a long-
   lived control channel for multiple sessions serially, and MAY be 
   capable of shorter time horizons as well, including as short as for 
   the processing of a single utterance. 

SPEECHSC must not require the controlling element (application sercer, media processing entity) to accept or originate media streams. Media streams may source & sink from the controllED element (ASR, TTS, etc.) but these streams may (or in many cases WON'T) originate or terminate in the SPEECHSC controller.

Skip Cave
Sr. Principal Engineer
Intervoice Inc.