Subject: [Speechsc] MRCPv2 Publication Timetable

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 15:26:45 -0400

As a work group, we are making great progress towards publication of MRCPv2
as a Proposed Standard.  While there is still moderate list traffic, it is
mostly clarifications and resolutions.

We, as chairs, have noticed quite a few vendors talking about their "MRCPv2
Products."  Rather than whack them on the head, our plan is to give them
something tangible to claim.  To this end, it is our expectation that we
will have a new MRCPv2 draft shortly.  We will immediately start a Work
Group Last Call (WGLC) on the document.

WGLC comments that we will entertain are ones for which :-
 - The Internet Will Melt if we don't fix X
 - No one (and we mean NO ONE) can use MRCPv2 if we don't include X
 - No one (and we mean NO ONE) can use MRCPv2 if we do include X

At this point in time, we do not expect any X's.  Yes, there are a lot of
open feature requests; see <https://www.softarmor.com/roundup/speechsc/>.
We do NOT expect MRCPv2 to be perfect.  We do expect it to be useful.  Our
expectation is that WGLC will complete well before October.

Publication of MRCPv2 is by no means the last word on MRCP.  PLEASE review
RFC2026.  MRCPv2 is a Proposed Standard.  We EXPECT it to get better over
time.  Consider this from RFC20206:

   A Proposed Standard specification is generally stable, has resolved
   known design choices, is believed to be well-understood, has received
   significant community review, and appears to enjoy enough community
   interest to be considered valuable.  However, further experience
   might result in a change or even retraction of the specification
   before it advances.

There will be plenty of opportunity, if there is community interest, to
bring MRCPv2 to Draft Standard.  That is where we bring in independent
interoperability reports, drop optional features that one or fewer
implementations implement, add features that we realize we really could not
do without, etc.

So, again, unless your comment on the next draft of MRCPv2 does not fit into
The Sky Is Falling category, be sure to put it into the tracker, at
<https://www.softarmor.com/roundup/speechsc/>.

We will note editorial comments, like "you spelt spelled as spelt," as such
and will fix as many as possible during AUTH48.  See
<http://www.rfc-editor.org/howtopub.html> for what AUTH48 is about.

Thank you all for your participation!!!

_______________________________________________
Speechsc mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/speechsc