Subject: [splices] Fwd: [RAI] Device control using SIP

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 11:31:40 +0300

Hi,

given the amount of discussions on the INVOKE method in this list, I
sent the email below to the RAI list to get the opinion of the whole
community. I would like to have this discussion sooner rather than later
so that we have all the information we need related to this piece of work.

Please, follow those discussions (and send your opinion) on the RAI list.

Cheers,

Gonzalo

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [RAI] Device control using SIP
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 10:27:57 +0200
From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Hi,

the SPLICES WG is chartered to work on a framework for disaggregated
media in SIP.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/splices/charter/

As part of the SPLICES framework, the WG has been discussing a SIP-based
mechanism to control devices.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yusef-splices-invoke/

As you can see, this is an individual submission and the SPLICES WG
still has not decided whether or not this will be needed. However, this
draft has attracted a significant amount of attention on the SPLICES
mailing list.

The reason for this "heads up" is that this issue has been discussed at
length by the RAI community in the past. You may remember the "explode
my phone" discussions where a user agent sent such a command to another
one :o)

I would like to see an explicit discussion on whether or not this type
of application (i.e., device control) should fall within the scope of SIP.

Thanks,

Gonzalo

_______________________________________________
RAI mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/rai