Subject: [spring] SPRING Chairs observation on WG calls for consensus

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2022 16:14:42 -0400

In discussion with chairs of other routing working groups, it was noted 
that there is sometimes confusion or misunderstanding about what is 
sought when the chairs conduct adoption calls and WG last calls.

The top line is that we are looking for working group support and review.

In the case of adoption we are looking for whether the working group 
considers the document a good starting point for the problem, whether 
working group participants want to work on the problem, and whether 
there is enough active participation to support and review the work.
This is also why we find "+1" response to be unhelpful in judging this.

For working group last call, we are looking for whether the working 
group thinks the document is in good enough shape to be sent to the IESG 
and the IETF community.

In particular, we assume that the authors of a document are in support 
of it.  What is of interest to us when we issue these calls is about the 
opinion of the rest of the working group.  Working group adoption and 
completion requires that more than just the author team supports the 
work.  It needs broad working group support and review.

Yours,
Bruno, Jim, and Joel