Subject: ssm wg drafts

From: Hugh Holbrook <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2001 09:26:14 -0800 (PST)

I've had several questions about this, so I want to clarify the ssm wg
status and the IETF policy on internet draft naming.  It's a
not-well-publicized fact of the IETF that working group documents need
not be named draft-ietf-<wg>-foo, although drafts that start out as
working group drafts are generally named that way.

The SSM working group currently has two working drafts:

   draft-holbrook-ssm-arch-02.txt
   draft-bhattach-pim-ssm-00.txt.

Neither document was initially submitted as a working group draft and
so neither is named draft-ietf-ssm-*.  [ The latter document has now
expired and when the authors update it, it could come back with a
different name. ]

We decided to adopt these documents after our first meeting in
pittsburgh.  The former is slated to become a standards track RFC, and
the latter is headed to become an informational RFC.  I've been remiss
in getting the IETF web page updated to reflect this, but this has
been an action item in the iesg secretary's queue for a while now and
the web page should soon reflect it.

-Hugh