Subject: [ssm] Apple patent search

From: "Lucy E. Lynch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:50:47 -0800 (PST)

Folks -

I can't say that this is the patent in question, but it looks
most likely from the list of Apple assigned stuff in the time frame.

Take a look at:
http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/srchnum.htm

enter:  6,189,034

"Method and apparatus for dynamic launching of a teleconferencing
application upon receipt of a call

Abstract

In a computer system having a memory, a processor, and a network
interface, a method for dynamically launching a conferencing application
upon the receipt of an incoming call having the steps of: receiving an
incoming call signal on the network interface; processing the incoming
call signal to detect an intended recipient application; and launching the
intended recipient application. An apparatus for dynamically launching a
conferencing application upon the receipt of an incoming call having a
call directing module; a process manager coupled to the call directing
module; and, a conferencing component coupled to the network interface;
and the call directing module; the conferencing component containing a
circuit for notifying the call directing module upon receipt of an
incoming call and causing the call director to signal the process manager
to activate a conferencing application.

Inventors: Riddle; Guy (Los Gatos, CA)
Assignee: Apple Computer, Inc. (Cupertino, CA)
Appl. No.: 646503
Filed: May 8, 1996

Note the prior art reference: 5,373,549

 Multi-level conference management and notification

Abstract

A multi-level conference in which an originator of a telephone conference
of the multi-level conference controls the parties that can be added to
that conference and can terminate any party at any time. Further, if two
existing telephone conferences are combined together to form the
multi-level conference, the party that originated the combining of these
two conference calls can control not only the parties on its conference
call but can disconnect all of the parties on the second conference call.
In addition, the control of the conference resides in the telephone
terminals being utilized by the participants, rather than in a centralized
service computer. Information concerning the conference and control of the
conference is communicated between the telephone terminals utilizing the
standard telecommunication communication control channel and does not
require the establishment of a separate data call to a centralized service
computer. In addition, the telephone terminals display the names and
telephone numbers of parties on the multi-level conference and identifies
parties controlling the individual conferences. In addition, when two
conferences are combined together, each originator of a conference
maintains control over their subconference and can independently separate
that subconference from the other conference in a multi-level conference.
Inventors: Bales; Bruce M. (Louisville, CO); Crumpley; Robert L.
(Westminster, CO); Gallagher; Donald D. (Boulder, CO); Thieler; Stephen M.
(Boulder, CO)
Assignee: AT&T Corp. (Murray Hill, NJ)
Appl. No.: 996348
Filed: December 23, 1992

Then see: http://www.watersprings.org/

for early PIM and multicast related drafts.

Lucy E. Lynch 				Academic User Services
Computing Center			University of Oregon
llynch  @darkwing.uoregon.edu		(541) 346-1774/Cell: 912-7998

_______________________________________________
ssm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ssm