Subject: [Stackevo] Version negotiation patterns

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 22:21:52 +1100

RFC 6709 defines five version negotiation "patterns" and says
"Protocols generally do not need any version-negotiation mechanism
more complicated than the mechanisms described here."

I realize that TLS 1.3 and HTTP now use a negotiation style that isn't
listed there.  That is, "pick from a list".

That seems like a pretty major shortcoming.  It's not an erratum as
such, and maybe not justification to open the patient.  What would
people recommend?

---

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 12:39:16 +0100

I also was thinking if the document would need to be updated to catch some of the extensibility vs. privacy discussion. I know that’s potentially a minefield and I also didn’t have time to look at the doc in detail to double-check what’s already in there. 

I we decide to update, I’m definitely interested to help.

Mirja

> Am 03.03.2017 um 12:21 schrieb Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Stackevo mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.iab.org/mailman/listinfo/stackevo