Subject: [stir] Document Action: 'Secure Telephone Identity Threat Model' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-stir-threats-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 08:24:47 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Secure Telephone Identity Threat Model'
  (draft-ietf-stir-threats-04.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Richard Barnes and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-threats/

Technical Summary

   As the Internet and the telephone network have become increasingly
   interconnected and interdependent, attackers can impersonate or
   obscure calling party numbers when orchestrating bulk commercial
   calling schemes, hacking voicemail boxes or even circumventing multi-
   factor authentication systems trusted by banks.  This document
   analyzes threats in the resulting system, enumerating actors,
   reviewing the capabilities available to and used by attackers, and
   describing scenarios in which attacks are launched.

Working Group Summary

  This document is a product of the STIR working group. 

Document Quality

  This document was developed in parallel with the problem statement.
  It has received significant cross-area review.

Personnel

  Robert Sparks is the document shepherd. 
  Richard Barnes is the Responsible AD.