Subject: [stir] RFC 7375 on Secure Telephone Identity Threat Model

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 14:38:39 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7375

        Title:      Secure Telephone Identity Threat Model 
        Author:     J. Peterson
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 31067
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-stir-threats-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7375.txt

As the Internet and the telephone network have become increasingly
interconnected and interdependent, attackers can impersonate or
obscure calling party numbers when orchestrating bulk commercial
calling schemes, hacking voicemail boxes, or even circumventing
multi-factor authentication systems trusted by banks.  This document
analyzes threats in the resulting system, enumerating actors,
reviewing the capabilities available to and used by attackers, and
describing scenarios in which attacks are launched.

This document is a product of the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC