Subject: [stir] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 01:19:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited of the IETF.

        Title           : Authenticated Identity Management in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
        Authors         : Jon Peterson
                          Cullen Jennings
                          Eric Rescorla
                          Chris Wendt
	Filename        : draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis-11.txt
	Pages           : 44
	Date            : 2016-08-24

Abstract:
   The baseline security mechanisms in the Session Initiation Protocol
   (SIP) are inadequate for cryptographically assuring the identity of
   the end users that originate SIP requests, especially in an
   interdomain context.  This document defines a mechanism for securely
   identifying originators of SIP requests.  It does so by defining a
   SIP header field for conveying a signature used for validating the
   identity, and for conveying a reference to the credentials of the
   signer.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 08:25:55 +0000

This new iteration of rfc4474bis has been provided (by special request)
largely so people can see the example and the "canon" usage. If either of
those needs some more work, let's talk about it. Though of course we can
talk about anything else people want to talk about too.

Jon Peterson
Neustar, Inc.

On 8/24/16, 1:19 AM, "stir on behalf of [email-masked]"
<[email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>stir mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stir

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 13:11:02 -0400

I looked at this latest version and have a few small changes to recommend:

* Section 2

    ... Identities are extracted from an "identity field" a SIP request

This isn't exactly right, because canonicalization of phone numbers is 
more than simple extraction. I suggest:

    ... Identities are extracted *or derived* from an "identity field"
    *of* a SIP request ...

* Section 3

The following:

    ... a JSON [RFC7159] object comprising values copied from certain
    header field values in the SIP request.

has a similar problem to that in the terminology. Again I suggest:

    ... a JSON [RFC7159] object comprising values copied *or derived*
    from certain header field values in the SIP request.

* Section 4

Reference to RFC4234 is obsolete, it should be RFC5234.

	Thanks,
	Paul

---

From: "DOLLY, MARTIN C" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 17:46:22 +0000

Jon

Thank you

Martin C. Dolly
Lead Member of Technical Staff
Core & Government/Regulatory Standards
AT&T
Cell: +1.609.903.3360<tel:+1.609.903.3360>
Email: [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>

On Aug 24, 2016, at 4:26 AM, Peterson, Jon <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

Jon Peterson
Neustar, Inc.

On 8/24/16, 1:19 AM, "stir on behalf of [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>"
<[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]> on behalf of [email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited of
the IETF.

      Title           : Authenticated Identity Management in the
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)
      Authors         : Jon Peterson
                        Cullen Jennings
                        Eric Rescorla
                        Chris Wendt
   Filename        : draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis-11.txt
   Pages           : 44
   Date            : 2016-08-24

Abstract:

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of
submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org<http://tools.ietf.org>.

_______________________________________________
stir mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stir

_______________________________________________
stir mailing list
[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stir

---

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 17:54:31 +0000

Thanks, I rolled these in for the next spin - though I went with just
"derived" rather than "extracted or derived", same with "copied or
derived" - it seemed to get the point across.

Jon Peterson
Neustar, Inc.

---

From: Paul Kyzivat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 14:08:41 -0400

WFM