Subject: [stir] Last Call: <draft-ietf-stir-enhance-rfc8226-02.txt> (Enhanced JWT Claim Constraints for STIR Certificates) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 13:40:34 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited
WG (stir) to consider the following document: - 'Enhanced JWT Claim
Constraints for STIR Certificates'
  <draft-ietf-stir-enhance-rfc8226-02.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2021-06-10. Exceptionally, comments may
be sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning
of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   RFC 8226 provides a certificate extension to constrain the JWT claims
   that can be included in the PASSporT as defined in RFC 8225.  If the
   signer includes a JWT claim outside the constraint boundaries, then
   the recipient will reject the entire PASSporT.  This document defines
   an additional way that the JWT claims can be constrained.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-enhance-rfc8226/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 13:58:38 -0400

How about expanding "JWT" in the abstract and on first use in the body
of this document.

Thanks,
Donald
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 2386 Panoramic Circle, Apopka, FL 32703 USA
 [email-masked]

On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 4:41 PM The IESG <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 14:22:17 -0400

Sure.  JSON Web Token (JWT).  Do you think that JSON needs expanded too?

Russ

> On May 31, 2021, at 1:58 PM, Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> stir mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stir

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 14:34:27 -0400

Hi Russ,

No, I do not think JSON needs expansion but I wouldn't object to it.

Thanks,
Donald

---

From: Ben Campbell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2021 13:34:50 -0500

JSON is marked as well-known in the RFC editor’s abbreviation list. JWT is not.

OTOH, there’s no harm in expanding well-known abbreviations ;-)

Ben.

> On May 31, 2021, at 1:22 PM, Russ Housley <[email-masked]> wrote:
>