Subject: [straw] I-D Action: draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-stun-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 08:17:04 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Sip Traversal Required for Applications to Work Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) Message Handling for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs)
        Authors         : Ram Mohan Ravindranath
                          Tirumaleswar Reddy
                          Gonzalo Salgueiro
	Filename        : draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-stun-01.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2015-02-02

Abstract:
   Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs)
   are often designed to be on the media path, rather than just
   intercepting signaling.  This means that B2BUAs often act on the
   media path leading to separate media legs that the B2BUA correlates
   and bridges together.  When acting on the media path, B2BUAs are
   likely to receive Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) packets
   as part of Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) processing.
   It is critical that B2BUAs handle these STUN messages properly.

   This document defines behavior for a B2BUA performing ICE processing.
   The goal of this draft is to ensure that ICE used for NAT and
   Firewall traversal of multimedia sessions works when there are B2BUAs
   in place and the B2BUAs handle STUN messages properly.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-stun/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-stun-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-stun-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: "Ram Mohan R (rmohanr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 16:19:32 +0000

This revision addresses the WGLC comments received so far. Please review
and provide your feedback.

Regards,
Authors

-----Original Message-----
From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, 2 February 2015 9:47 pm
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: [straw] I-D Action: draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-stun-01.txt

>        Title           : Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)
>Message Handling for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Back-to-Back User
>Agents (B2BUAs)
>_______________________________________________
>straw mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/straw

---

From: "Parthasarathi R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 23:00:47 +0530

Hi all,

The draft looks good. Some of the minor comments are as follows:

1) Sec 3.3. First bullet must have normative statement for adding its own
candidate list or else "c" line mismatch occurs.

2) It will be good to add ICE to non-ICE callflow in B2BUA. Non-ICE is
because of one of the endpoint does not support ICE. The challenge is for
ICE Passthrough with B2BUAs (Sec 3.3) as the candidate pair in the answer
has to be as per ICE to non-ICE.

Thanks
Partha

> From: straw [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of internet-
> [email-masked]
> Sent: Monday, February 02, 2015 9:47 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
>  This draft is a work item of the Sip Traversal Required for
> Applications to Work Working Group of the IETF.
> 
> Message Handling for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Back-to-Back
> User Agents (B2BUAs)

---

From: "Ram Mohan R (rmohanr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 03:44:13 +0000

Hi Partha,

See inline 

-----Original Message-----
From: Parthasarathi R <[email-masked]>
Date: Monday, 2 February 2015 11:00 pm
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [straw] I-D Action: draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-stun-01.txt

>candidate list or else "c" line mismatch occurs.

Ok. will add normative statement in this section
>has to be as per ICE to non-ICE.

Right a B2BUA may do ICE to no-ICE. Section 3.2 mentions about B2BUA
terminating ICE where in it treats each ICE context separately. So it is
very much possible to do ICE only on one side.
The sample flow given is just one use-case. I can add some text to say for
 this case but really don¹t see a need for separate call flow.

Regards,
Ram

---

From: "Parthasarathi R" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2015 05:59:20 +0530

Hi Ram,

I'm fine with your approach for ICE to non-ICE callflow.

Regards
Partha

> From: straw [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ram Mohan R
> (rmohanr)
> Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2015 9:14 AM
> To: Parthasarathi R; [email-masked]

---

From: "Ram Mohan R (rmohanr)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2015 05:04:12 +0000

Hi Partha,

Thanks for your comments. Have addressed your comments and published a new
revision.

Regards,
Ram