Subject: [straw] Protocol Action: 'Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) Message Handling for Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-stun-08.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 19:02:28 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) Message Handling for
   Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs)'
  (draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-stun-08.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Sip Traversal Required for
Applications to Work Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ben Campbell and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-stun/

Technical Summary

Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs) are 
often designed to be on the media path, rather than just intercepting 
signaling.  This means that B2BUAs often act on the media path leading 
to separate media legs that the B2BUA correlates and bridges together.  
When acting on the media path, B2BUAs are likely to receive Session 
Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) packets as part of Interactive 
Connectivity Establishment (ICE) processing. It is critical that B2BUAs 
handle these STUN messages properly.

This document defines behavior for a B2BUA performing ICE processing. 
The goal of this document is to ensure that ICE used for NAT and 
Firewall traversal of multimedia sessions works when there are B2BUAs in 
place and the B2BUAs handle STUN messages properly.

Working Group Summary

The WG path of this document was reasonably short and efficient. Several 
technical comments were made during reviews and all were resolved with 
consensus.
There is consensus in the STRAW WG to publish this document.

Document Quality

The guidelines and procedures in the document is based on input  and 
experience from the implementer community.

Personnel

   Document Shepherd: Victor Pascual
   Responsible AD: Ben Campbell