Subject: [sunset4] WG Action: Rechartered Sunsetting IPv4 (sunset4)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 09:29:20 -0800

The Sunsetting IPv4 (sunset4) working group in the Internet Area of the
IETF has been rechartered. For additional information please contact the
Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Sunsetting IPv4 (sunset4)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group

Chairs:
  Marc Blanchet <[email-masked]>
  Wesley George <[email-masked]>

Technical advisors:
  Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
  Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
  Fred Baker <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sunset4
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sunset4/

Charter of Working Group:

  Global IPv4 addresses, once considered plentiful, are an
  increasingly scarce resource for many who wish to connect to the
  Internet today. IPv6 provides an abundance of freely available
  addresses, and while deployment alongside IPv4 has begun in
  earnest, much work remains.

  In order to fully transition the Internet to IPv6, individual
  applications, hosts, and networks that have enabled IPv6 must also
  be able to operate fully in the absence of IPv4. The Working Group
  will point out specific areas of concern, provide recommendations,
  and standardize protocols that facilitate the graceful "sunsetting"
  of the IPv4 Internet in areas where IPv6 has been deployed. This
  includes the act of shutting down IPv4 itself, as well as the
  ability of IPv6-only portions of the Internet to continue to
  connect with portions of the Internet that remain IPv4-only.

  While this work obviously spans multiple IETF areas including
  Internet, Operations, Transport, Applications, and Routing, this
  working group provides a single venue for the consideration of IPv4
  sunsetting. Work in this group shall never impede the deployment of
  IPv6, will not duplicate functions and capabilities already
  available in existing technologies, and should demonstrate
  widespread operational need. Cross-area coordination and support
  is essential.

  Disabling IPv4 in applications, hosts, and networks is new
  territory for much of the Internet today, and it is expected that
  problems will be uncovered including those related to basic IPv4
  functionality, interoperability, as well as potential security
  concerns. The working group will report on common issues, provide
  recommendations, and, when necessary, protocol extensions in order
  to facilitate disabling IPv4 in networks where IPv6 has been
  deployed.

  Operational scenarios considered by the working group shall include
  IPv6-only nodes and networks as the goal. Work on technologies that
  involve increased sharing of global IPv4 addresses should be
  limited to what is necessary for communicating with endpoints or
  over networks that are IPv6-only.

  The initial work items are:

  * NAT64 port allocation and address sharing methods involving
    scenarios where an IPv6-only node is present (and NAT44, as it
    overlaps NAT64 address sharing and port use). This may require a
    description of the use of an existing protocol, the development
    of extensions to an existing protocol, or the definition of an
    entirely new protocol.

  * Gap analysis of IPv4/IPv6 features to facilitate IPv4 sunsetting

  * Provisioning methods to signal a dual-stack host to disable or
    depreference the use of IPv4

Milestones:
  Mar 2013 - Submit gap analysis on IPv4 sunsetting to IESG for
consideration as an Informational RFC
  Jul 2013 - Submit NAT64 port allocation and address sharing methods to
IESG for consideration as an Informational RFC
  Sep 2013 - Submit provisioning methods to signal a dual-stack host to
disable the use of IPv4 to IESG for consideration as Proposed Standard