Subject: [Supa] supa and routing policies

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 17:16:08 +0200

Hi,

this is what the charter currently says:

  Policies embedded in the configuration of network elements are not in
  the scope of SUPA. In contrast to policies targeted by SUPA, embedded
  policies are usually interpreted on network elements in isolation, and
  often at timescales that require the representation of embedded
  policies to be optimized for a specific purpose. Some examples of
  embedded policies that are not in the scope of SUPA:

    - packet filtering policies
    - packet marking and scheduling policies
    - route import and export policies
    - authorization policies (configured on network elements)

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 11:38:49 -0400

Juergen: 

BGP configuration and routing policy is focusing on the device level. 

BGP policies need the guidance of a network-wide policy that handles full
network (AS as whole) BGP.  This cross-network policy is missing inside of
IETF.   It is the middle ground between the L3SM (L3VPN service model) and
the policies for the devices.  

L3SM (service)
BGP full-network policies 
BGP device policies (BGP config and the rtgwg policies, ACL etc). 
 
SUPA's policy can provide what Scott Bradner calls full-network routing and
data policy.  If SUPA can help advance the BGP full-network policies - this
is a win.  

If I am still not aligned with the charter - please let me know. 

Sue 

------

-----Original Message-----
From: Supa [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Juergen Schoenwaelder
Sent: Monday, June 15, 2015 11:16 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Supa] supa and routing policies

Hi,

/js

_______________________________________________
Supa mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/supa