Subject: Re: [Supa] 06/22/15 SUPA Applicability

From: John Strassner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 19:07:40 -0700

Please see inline...

regards,

John

*From:* Ying Cheng [mailto:chengying10 at chinaunicom.cn]
*Sent:* Wednesday, June 24, 2015 2:24 AM
*To:* vadrevun at von20.com; supa at ietf.org
*Subject:* Re: [Supa] 06/22/15 SUPA Applicability

Hi Narasimha,

Many thanks for your drafting the presentation on SUPA Applicability. After
reading it, I have several questions/comments as follows. Could you please
kindly let me know your positions?

   1. In the latest charter, there are two types of information model:  ECA
   information model and intent-based information model, besides the generic
   information model. But in the slides, it seems that only ECA is covered,
   how about the intent-based information model?

*[Narasimha Vadrevu] Draft charter relates to one ECA  model
‘draft-bi-supa-policy-model-02’.  I will need some time for an intent based
 information model, will try to come up with in a couple of days.*

<jcs>
Actually, the draft charter does not identify any I-D. You probably mean
the wiki page. Ying is correct, the whole point of the GPIM is to show that
two very different types of policies (ECA and declarative) can be supported
by the same information model.
</jcs>

   1. Some use cases are given in the slides, it might be useful to further
   explain how ECA or intent-based information model can be used in these use
   case. E.g. what kind of event and condition will trigger what kind of
   action(s).
   2. Regarding SUPA application scope, “Software management (patches,
   upgrade etc.)” is mentioned. Can you elaborate this? I am not quite sure
   how SUPA information / data models can be used for this purpose.

*[Narasimha Vadrevu] Please find attached an EMS PRD document I wrote some
time back. The prototype was developed by
http://www.elitect.com/default.aspx <http://www.elitect.com/default.aspx> .
I worked with them in driving this. Unfortunately the this was never
productized as we ran out. Since SUPA can create an input to an EMS, bulk
upgrades are possible in an ECA model. Compare the software string and if
it is not matched with a new version, crate event for software upgrade and
that should create an action.*

*I believe once you have a generic YANG model, above  IT apps will evolve. *
*All, correct me if I am wrong.*

<jcs>
See my previous email - this type of comparison has been done 100s of times
in existing policy servers.
</jcs>

Thanks and best regards,

Ying

-- 
regards,
John