Subject: [tcpinc] Status of TLS 1.3

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 15:09:33 +0200

Hi Ekr,

draft-rescorla-tcpinc-tls-option has a normative reference to draft-ietf-tls-tls13 which means that draft-rescorla-tcpinc-tls-option would need to wait for draft-ietf-tls-tls13 for publication. Further, of course also the technical content of draft-rescorla-tcpinc-tls-option depends on draft-ietf-tls-tls13, I guess, which means it would anyway not make sense to finish draft-rescorla-tcpinc-tls-option before draft-ietf-tls-tls13. Can you please comment on this and explain what the current status and timeline for draft-ietf-tls-tls13 is?

Thanks,
Mirja

P.S.: Is it actually necessary to have normative references to draft-irtf-cfrg-curves-09, draft-ietf-tls-session-hash-06, draft-ietf-tls-chacha20-poly1305-00, and draft-ietf-tls-applayerprotoneg-05…?

---

From: Ilari Liusvaara <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 17:01:39 +0300

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 03:09:33PM +0200, Mirja Kühlewind wrote:
> Hi Ekr,
> 
> draft-rescorla-tcpinc-tls-option has a normative reference to
> draft-ietf-tls-tls13 which means that draft-rescorla-tcpinc-tls-option
> would need to wait for draft-ietf-tls-tls13 for publication. Further,
> of course also the technical content of draft-rescorla-tcpinc-tls-option
> depends on draft-ietf-tls-tls13, I guess, which means it would anyway
> not make sense to finish draft-rescorla-tcpinc-tls-option before
> draft-ietf-tls-tls13. Can you please comment on this and explain
> what the current status and timeline for draft-ietf-tls-tls13 is?

Not ekr, but...

AFAIK, they are going to wait for TRON[1], which is late February
And then if everything goes well, push the draft forward
(everything technical should be in place by then).

[1] Given the importance of getting TLS 1.3 right, I can't fault
them.

-Ilari

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 13:01:32 -0700

> (everything technical should be in place by then).

The plan is to have the draft stable a long time before TRON.
Otherwise, there's not enough time for people to get ready for it.  I
think that the major changes are almost all baked now.

On the other hand, publication will take a fair bit longer.

It depends on how you view the following statement as to whether this
is a problem.  "The Internet runs on drafts."