Subject: [tcpinc] Andrea Bittau

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 17:42:08 -0800

I'm incredibly sad to report that Andrea Bittau died in a motorcycle
accident on Saturday.  Andrea was one of the most cheerful and likable
people I've ever met.  He was also a brilliant engineer, undaunted by
the most intimidating challenges.  I've never known anyone as good as
him at diving into a huge messy pile of someone else's code and figuring
out exactly how to get something done--often through an amazingly clever
and original simplifying hack.  Andrea was one of those rare security
researchers who could be equally effective on the attack or the defense
side.  Though he put the final nail in WEP's coffin and later blew away
the Oakland 2014 audience with his demonstration of blind
return-oriented programming, he will be equally remembered for his
contributions to the TCPINC working group, fine-grained privilege
separation, and cryptographically-enforced control-flow integrity.
Andrea will be sorely missed.

David

---

From: Jana Iyengar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 18:30:48 -0800

I am really really sorry to hear this. Andrea was a great contributor and I
always enjoyed my conversations with him. I was excited when Andrea
expressed interest in and eventually joined Google.
My condolences to those close to him.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 5:42 PM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Tcpinc mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpinc
>

---

From: Kyle Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 21:39:09 -0500

This news came as a tremendous shock. My deepest condolences to Andrea's
friends and family. In every interaction I had with him, he was the
personification of class and thoughtfulness. He will be sorely missed.

Kyle