Subject: ACM MULTIMEDIA 94 -- ADVANCE PROGRAM
From: Zubin Dittia <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 1994 13:46:10 -0500 (CDT)

A D V A N C E   P R O G R A M

	 2nd ANNUAL ACM MULTIMEDIA CONFERENCE AND EXPOSITION

			 October 15-20, 1994
		      San Francisco, California
 
Sponsored by the Association for Computing Machinery SIGBIO, SIGBIT, SIGCHI, 
SIGCOMM, SIGGRAPH, SIGIR, SIGLINK, SIGMM, and SIGOIS and in
cooperation with SIGAPP, SIGMOD, SIGOPS and the IEEE Communications
Society.   

=================****=================****=================****============
FOR MORE INFORMATION

To receive more information about Multimedia'94 or the Advance
Program, contact Danieli and O'Keefe (DOK), our conference management
company. Address and phone number information on DOK is included at the
end of this message.  

=================****=================****=================****============

CONFERENCE HIGHLIGHTS

 * Why ACM Multimedia '94?
  The second ACM Multimedia Conference will present an exciting mixture of
  technology and art. Sessions will focus on what will be the standards of
  the future; not what is happening today. The program of papers, panels,
  courses, demonstrations, videos, and exhibits will explore the breadth
  and diversity of this ever-changing technology.

 * You should be there!
  This conference will be vital for researchers, technical staff, software
  engineers, educators and artists working in any and all aspects of
  multimedia research and production. ACM Multimedia will draw attendees
  and presenters from both academia and industry, including
  telecommunications, fine arts, engineering, software development,
  multimedia production, electronic publishing, digital libraries, computer
  graphics, user interfaces, broadcast media, and networking.

 * Opening and Closing Plenaries
  The technical program kicks off with a debate by industry leaders from
  LucasArts, Philips Electronics and the new Mosaic Communications,
  moderated by Dr. R.W. Lucky, of Bellcore. They will debate their
  differing views on the evolution of the Multimedia industry.

  At the Closing Plenary, Tom Holman, the award-winning designer of the THX
  sound system and Corporate Technical Director of LucasFilm, discusses
  presentations standards for sound and graphics and Scott Marden, of
  Philips Media will give his perspective on the emerging multimedia
  industry. See page 14 for more details.

 * The Ubiquitous Art Zone
  The Ubiquitous Art Zone is that part of Multimedia '94 that presents the
  creations of artists working in multimedia. The art work ranges from
  "immersive environments" and "garage VR" to narrative works on
  interactive CD ROM and hard drive. By their use of interactive interface
  technologies, the artists invite the visitors to become participants in a
  shared experience. Come celebrate the emergence of the art made possible
  by the digital revolution.

 * Ubiquitous Art Zone/Exhibit Reception
  Please join us Tuesday evening for a reception that allows you to
  experience the full range of the arts in multimedia, as well as to spend
  some unhurried time in the exhibit hall.

 * Exhibit Hall
  This is the best opportunity to see and learn from companies who will
  share their multimedia experiences with you. Digital Equipment Corp. and
  IBM are just two of the companies who are eager to show their products
  and services.

 * Electronic Proceedings
  The conference proceedings will be available on a CD-ROM and on
  electronic network. Both media will include the text of the papers being
  presented, video clips from the video program and other material.

 * Conference Videotape
  The ACM Multimedia '94 video will feature videotapes of multimedia
  systems in action, and other topics relevant to the conference. The
  videos have been selected based on their relevance, technical content,
  originality, presentation quality, and clarity. The videotape will be
  available for purchase at the conference.

 * Demonstrations Program
  The demonstration program will feature novel research prototypes that
  demonstrate the latest advances in multimedia computing and
  communications technologies. These juried and working prototypes will be
  exhibited at regular intervals by their creators. Time will be provided
  for personal interaction with the systems.

 * Best Paper Awards
  Both the best paper and the best student paper will be presented in a
  special session on Thursday afternoon. Come hear the best of the best!

 * Vendor Track
  A special venue has been provided for exhibitor presentations on their
  products and services. This is a unique opportunity to find out about the
  tools and products that can help you be more productive.

=================****=================****=================****============

WORKSHOPS

  Workshop participation will be by invitation only, based on submission of
  a position paper.  Position papers should be kept short (3-5 pages), and
  should include information about the author's experience, current
  projects and a statement on relevant issues. Full contact details should
  also be included. Three copies of the position paper should be sent to
  the contact person by 1 August. The workshop fee is $40.00, payable to
  the appropriate contact person upon acceptance of position paper.

  Deadline for submission of position papers:
       1 August
  Notification of acceptance:
       22 August

  WORKSHOP W1
  Telepresence in Multimedia Collaboration
  Saturday, October 15

  Kate Finn
  SRI International
  This workshop will discuss issues in achieving a sense of telepresence in
  multimedia collaboration. Recent advances in real-time multimedia
  communications will enable people to collaborate remotely in a wide range
  of activities, and for some tasks and applications, a sense of
  telepresence may be essential for effective collaboration. Issues raised
  by the telepresence concept will be discussed. Topics of interest include
  the following: visual, verbal, or gestural cues that are good indicators
  of telepresence; situations where a heightened sense of telepresence is
  most important; which technologies may increase people's sense of
  telepresence; design paradigms that best support an improved sense of
  telepresence.

  Participants are encouraged to contribute short videos demonstrating
  aspects of telepresence.

  Contact person:
  Kate Finn
  SRI International
  Menlo Park, CA 94025
  Email: [email-masked]
  Phone: 415-859-2124
  Fax: 415-859-4812

  WORKSHOP W2
  Interactive Multipoint Services
  (organized by IEEE COMSOC Multimedia
  Systems Committee)
  Friday, October 21

  Sudhir R. Ahuja
  AT&T Laboratories
  Jeff Derby
  IBM Corporation

  This workshop focuses on the challenges and roadblocks facing
  implementation and deployment of interactive multipoint services.  In
  spite of significant interest in real-time interaction for applications
  such as distance learning and multimedia conferencing, multipoint
  services to support these have been hard to realize. This workshop is
  intended to address the research and implementation issues facing
  realization of such systems and services. The topics of interest include,
  but are not limited to, multicast protocols, multimedia bridging, access
  control,
  synchronization, distributed time and multi-user applications such as
  whiteboards, groupware, etc. Emphasis will be put on discussion of real
  experiments or systems. Practicing researchers are invited to submit an
  abstract (< 500 words) describing their work in a topic of interest.

  Contact person:
  Sudhir R. Ahuja,
  4F-601, AT&T Bell Laboratories
  101 Crawfords Corner Road,
  Holmdel, NJ 07733.
  Email: [email-masked]
  Phone: 908-949-5569
  Fax: 908-949-0399

  WORKSHOP W3
  Multimedia Database Management Systems (M-DBMS)
  Friday, October 21

  Bruce Berra
  Syracuse University
  Kingsley Nwosu
  IBM Corporation
  Bhavani Thuraisingham
  The MITRE Corporation

  This workshop will investigate issues in designing and developing
  M-DBMSs. A M-DBMS which supports distributed applications should
  integrate the two technologies of distributed/heterogeneous databases and
  multimedia data management. This integration is one of the greatest
  challenges faced by information systems researchers and developers, and
  will be the main focus of this workshop.  The topics to be discussed
  include the following: data models; storage structures; system, schema
  and functional architectures; retrieval algorithms; update algorithms;
  metadata management for multimedia databases.  Participants of the
  workshop will include members of the database community and the
  multimedia information systems community.

  Contact Person:
  Dr. Bhavani Thuraisingham
  The Mitre Corporation
  K329
  Burlington Road
  Bedford MA 01730
  Email: [email-masked]
  Phone: 617-271-8873
  Fax: 617-271-2352

=================****=================****=================****============

STUDENT VOLUNTEER PROGRAM

  Student Volunteers will receive:
  Free attendance at the Tuesday though Thursday MM '94 conference. In
  addition, each Student Volunteer may attend two course units (two half
  day courses or one full day course) for free, space permitting. The
  Student Volunteers who work at a course will receive all of the course
  materials and they may participate in the activities of the course to the
  extent that their work duties will allow. Requests are honored on a first
  come, first served basis. The conference cannot pay for student lodging,
  but the student volunteers co-chairs can provide minimal assistance to
  students with specific needs.
  For more information on the Student Volunteer Program, or to volunteer,
  contact:
  James D. Smith
  LLNL
  P.O. Box 808 L-665
  Livermore, Ca., 94550,
  Email: [email-masked]

=================****=================****=================****============

TECHNICAL PROGRAM

  Introduction from the Program Chair

  The papers selected for presentation at ACM Multimedia '94 describe
  research ideas, emerging technologies, innovative applications, and
  experience with multimedia systems. They were chosen from more than 200
  submissions that came, as did the 6 Co-Chairs and the 41 members of the
  Program Committee, from all over the world. Only one out of every four
  submitted papers could be included in the program. Both in quality and
  coverage, the paper sessions at ACM Multimedia '94 are the best available
  snapshot of the state of the art and of the trends in the many facets of
  this exciting new discipline and of this booming new industry.

  Domenico Ferrari
  Program Chair

  Introduction from the Panel Co-Chairs

  The range of technical, artistic, and social topics covered by this
  year's panels reflect the inherently complex nature of the multimedia
  community, which continues to grow and diversify. While some panels
  address mostly technical issues and others mostly artistic ones, still
  others impart a sense of the rich interaction between the two. A common
  theme is the democratic notion that 500 interactive channels should
  deliver more than the centrally-originated content of repurposed movie
  plots and on-demand reruns of old television shows. Panels are real-time
  experiences for the panelists and the audience, where nascent ideas can
  be surfaced without much risk and stimulating discussions can be
  continued in breakout rooms after formal sessions end.

  Allan Kuchinsky,
  Steve Bulick
  Panel Co-Chairs

*** TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18 ***

  Welcoming Remarks
  Best paper awards

  =*= Opening Plenary Panel =*=
  Multimedia: Evolution of a New Industry?

  Multimedia is the fusion of a large number of technologies, and during
  the last year it mushroomed in importance. Perhaps we are witnessing the
  emergence of a new industry. How does multimedia in business relate to
  multimedia in the home? Will multimedia services to the home be delivered
  via the set-top? Where are the greatest opportunities games, education,
  information services, movies? Are all the pieces in place for an industry
  to take off?

  A panel of industry leaders will address these questions, as well as
  issues suggested by the conference attendees.

  MODERATOR
  Robert W. Lucky, Corporate Vice President of Applied Research, Bellcore

  PANELISTS
  Frank P. Carrubba, Executive Vice President and Chief Technical Officer
  of Philips Electronics N. V.

  James H. Clark, CEO and President, Mosaic Communications Corp.

  Randy S. Komisar, President and CEO, LucasArts Entertainment Company

  =*= SESSION 1A =*=
  Video on Demand
  Chair: Gregory Wallace, The 3DO Company

  Scheduling Policies for an On-Demand Video Server with Batching
  A. Dan, D. Sitaram, and P. Shahabuddin, IBM Research Center

  Providing VCR Capabilities in Large-Scale Video Servers
  J. Dey, J. Salehi, J. Kurose, and D. Towsley, University of Massachusetts
  at Amherst

  A Statistical Admission Control Algorithm for Multimedia Servers
  H. Vin, P. Goyal, A. Goyal, and A. Goyal, University of Texas at Austin

  =*= SESSION 1B =*=
  Tools
  Chair: Lawrence A. Rowe, University of California at Berkeley

  SCOOT: An Object-Oriented Toolkit for Multimedia Collaboration
  E. Craighill, M. Fong, K. Skinner, R. Lang, and K. Gruenefeldt
  SRI International

  Direct Manipulation of Temporal Structures in a Multimedia Application
  Framework
  P. Ackermann, University of Zurich, Switzerland

  DAVE: A Plug and Play Model for Distributed Multimedia Application
  Development
  R. Mines, J. Friesen, and C. Yang, Sandia National Laboratories

  =*= PANEL P1 =*=
  Multimedia Databases and Information Systems

  Organizers: Dragutin Petrovic, IBM Almaden Research Center and Farshid
  Arman, Siemens Corporate Research
  Panelists: Charlie Judice, Bell Atlantic; Alex Pentland, MIT Media Lab;
  J. Normile, Apple Computer, Inc.

  =*= SESSION 2A =*=
  Compressed Stream Processing
  Chair: Vason Srini, DataFlow Systems

  The Personal Presence System - Hardware Architecture, M. Lukacs, Bellcore

  Fast Software Processing of Motion JPEG Video
  B. Smith, Cornell University

  Higher Bandwidth X
  J. Danskin, Princeton University

  =*= SESSION 2B =*=
  Presentation Issues
  Chair: Michael A. Harrison, University of California at Berkeley

  Content-Based Browsing of Video Sequences
  F. Arman, R. Depommier, A. Hsu, and M.-Y. Chiu
  Siemens Corporate Research, Princeton, NJ

  Towards Usability Guidelines for Multimedia Systems
  M. Bearne, S. Jones, and J. Sapsford-Francis
  University of Hertfordshire, UK

  PREMO: An ISO Standard for Presentation Environment for Multimedia
  Objects
  I. Herman, P. ten Hagen, and G. Reynolds
  Center for Mathematics and Computer Sciences, The Netherlands
  S. Carson, GSC Associates Inc., J. Davy, Groupe Bull, France
  D. Duce, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK
  W. Hewitt, University of Manchester, UK
  K. Kansy, Gesellschaft fur Mathematik und Datenverarbeitung, Germany
  B. Lurvey, Wang Laboratories, Inc. R. Puk, Puk Consulting Services
  H. Stenzel, Fachhochschule Koln, Germany

  =*= PANEL P2 =*=
  Collaborative Multimedia: Getting Beyond the Obvious

  Organizer: Bonnie Nardi, Apple
  Panelists: Sara Bly, Xerox PARC; Ellen Isaacs, SunSoft; Sha Xin Wei,
  Stanford University; Steve Whittaker, Lotus Development Corp.

  =*= SPECIAL PRESENTATIONS =*=

  Placeholder: Landscape and Narrative in Virtual Environments
  Brenda Laurel and Rachel Strickland, Interval Research, Palo Alto, CA.

  Placeholder: Technology and the Senses
  Rob Tow, Interval Research, Palo Alto, CA.

***  WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 19 ***

  *=* SESSION 3A *=*
  Synchronization
  Chair: Jonathan Rosenberg, Bellcore

  Towards a New Multimedia Synchronization Mechanism and its Formal
  Definition
  J.-P. Courtiat, R. Cruz de Oliveira, and L. Rust da Costa Carmo
  LAAS/CNRS, France

  Synchronization of Distributed Multimedia Data in an Application-Specific
  Manner
  N. Agarwal and S. Son, University of Virginia

  An Automatic Lip-Synchronization Algorithm for Synthetic Faces
  K. Waters and T. Levergood, DEC Cambridge Research Laboratory

  *=* SESSION 3B *=*
  Documents and Authoring
  Chair: Richard Phillips, Los Alamos National Laboratory

  Enabling Hypermedia Messaging
  K. Lenssen, RWTH, Germany

  Video Mosaic: Laying Out Time in a Physical Space, W. Mackay and D.
  Pagani, Rank Xerox EuroPARC, UK

  The Walk-Through Approach to Authoring Multimedia Documents
  S. Hudson and C.-N. Hsi, Georgia Institute of Technology

  *=* PANEL P3 *=*
  No Multimedia Without Representation

  Organizer: Marc Davis, MIT Media Laboratory and Interval Research
  Corporation
  Panelists: Catherine Baudin, NASA Ames Research Center; Smadar Kedar,
  Institute for the Learning Sciences; Daniel M. Russell, Apple Computer

  *=* SESSION 4A *=*
  Real-Time Networking
  Chair: Eric Hoffert, Apple Computer, Inc.

  Experiments with the Tenet Real-Time Protocol Suite on the Sequoia 2000
  Wide Area Network
  A. Banerjea, E. Knightly, F. Templin, and H. Zhang, University of
  California at Berkeley

  Capturing and Playing Multimedia Events with STREAMS, G. Cruz and R.
  Hill, Bellcore

  Predictive Prefetch in the Nemesis Multimedia Information Service
  H. Katseff and B. Robinson, AT&T Bell
  Laboratories

  *=* SESSION 4B *=*
  Retrieval Techniques
  Chair: Arding Hsu, Siemens Corporate Research, Princeton, NJ

  Content-based Retrieval of Segmented Images
  T.-S. Chua, S.-K. Lim, and H.-K. Pung, National University of Singapore
  Rx for Semantic Video Database Retrieval
  N. Dimitrova and F. Golshani, Arizona State
  University

  Towards Intelligent Recognition of Multimedia Episodes in Real-Time
  Applications
  J. Gabbe, A. Ginsberg, and B. Robinson, AT&T Bell Laboratories

  *=* PANEL P4 *=*
  Special Presentation:
  Museums and Multimedia: Extending the Experience Beyond the Museum's
  Walls

  Organizer: Rob Semper, San Francisco Exploratorium
  Panelists: Arnold Kramer, Director of Technical Services, US Holocaust
  Memorial Museum; Dr. Robert J. Semper, Executive Associate Director, San
  Francisco Exploratorium

  *=* SESSION 5A *=*
  Video Transmission
  Chair: Brian Smith, Cornell University

  MPEG-2 Coded- and Uncoded-Stream Synchronization Control for Real-Time
  Multimedia Transmission and Presentation over B-ISDN
  L. Li and N. Georganas, University of Ottawa, Canada

  Two-Dimensional Scaling Techniques for Adaptive, Rate-Based Transmission
  Control of Live Audio and Video Streams
  T. Talley and K. Jeffay, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

  A Cell Loss Equalization Protocol for Video Multiplexers
  I. Nikolaidis and I. Akyildiz, Georgia Institute of Technology

  *=* SESSION 5B *=*
  Databases
  Chair: Tosiyasu Kunii, University of Aizu, Japan

  Multimedia Technology in the Radiology Department
  F. Sauer and M. Kabuka, University of Miami

  Building Temporal Structures in a Layered Multimedia Data Model
  G. Schloss and M. Wynblatt, State University of New York at Stony Brook

  Quad-Tree Segmentation for Texture-Based Image Query
  J. Smith and S.-F. Chang, Columbia University

  *=* PANEL P5 *=*
  Artists in Multimedia: Creating Meaningful Roles

  Organizer: Rich Gold, Xerox PARC;
  Panelists: Char Davies, Visual Research; Michael Naimark, Interval
  Research; Mark Petrakis, pARTY/SCIENCE

  *=* SESSION 6A *=*
  System Support
  Chair: Ralf G. Herrtwich, IBM ENC, Germany

  A Continuous Media Application Supporting Dynamic QOS Control on
  Real-Time Mach
  T. Nakajima and H. Tezuka
  Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, Japan

  Supporting Real-Time Multimedia Behaviour in Open Distributed Systems: An
  Approach Based on Synchronous Languages
  G. Blair, M. Papathomas, G. Coulson, P. Robin, L. Hazard, Lancaster
  University, UK
  J. Stefani, and F. Horn, Centre National d'Etude des Telecommunications,
  France

  The VuSystem: A Programming System for Visual Processing of Digital Video
  C. Lindblad, D. Wetherall, and D. Tennenhouse
  MIT Laboratory for Computer Science

  *=* SESSION 6B *=*
  Education
  Chair: Edward Fox, Virginia Polytechnic
  Institute

  The Influence of Multimedia on Learning: A Cognitive Study
  A. Large, J. Beheshti, A. Breuleux, and A. Renaud, McGill University,
  Canada

  Hypermedia Method to Teach Concepts of Colour through Art
  J. Castellanos, J. Delicado, C. Dominguez, Universidad Politecnica de
  Madrid, Spain
  and C. Rigo, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain

  "Enlaces" A Multimedia Based Educational
  Network
  P. Hepp, L. Rehbein, E. Hinostroza, E. Laval, C. Dreves, and M. Ripoll,
  Universidad de La Frontera, Chile

  *=* PANEL P6 *=*
  From Generation to Generation: Multimedia, Community and Personal Stories

  Organizer: Abbe Don, Kaleida Labs
  Panelists: Laura Teodosio, Co-developer, Multimedia Memory or Mayan
  Medicine; Joe Lambert, Artistic Director, Life on the Water; Dana
  Atchley, D3TV

  *=* PANEL P7 *=*
  BAGNet: An ATM-Based Multimedia Applications Testbed

  Organizer: William Johnston, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
  Panelists: Rick Hronicek, Pacific Bell Yuet Lee, Pacific Bell Dan
  Swinehart, Xerox PARC
  Additional panelists to be announced.

*** THURSDAY OCTOBER 20 ***

  *=* SESSION 7A *=*
  Video Analysis
  Chair: Arturo A. Rodriguez, Kaleida Labs

  Adaptive Color Map Selection Algorithm for Motion Sequences
  J. Furlani, Sun Microsystems
  L. McMillan, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and L.
  Westover, Division, Inc.
  Video Tomography: An Efficient Method for Camerawork Extraction and
  Motion Analysis
  A. Akutsu and Y. Tonomura, Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Corp., Japan

  Digital Video Segmentation
  A. Hampapur, T. Weymouth, University of Michigan
  and R. Jain, University of California at San Diego

  *=* SESSION 7B *=*
  Audio
  Chair: Joseph Pasquale, University of California at San Diego

  A Beat Tracking System for Acoustic Signals of Music
  M. Goto and Y. Muraoka, Waseda University, Japan

  A Distributed Computer System for Professional Audio, D. Anderson, R.
  Doris, and J. Moorer, Sonic Solutions

  Protocols for Integrated Audio and Shared Windows in Collaborative
  Systems
  A. Mathur and A. Prakash, University of Michigan

  *=* PANEL P8 *=*
  In Search of the Right Model for Video-Mediated Communication

  Organizers: Sylvia Wilbur, Queen Mary and Westfield College, UK and Kate
  Finn, SRI International
  Panelists: Garry Beirne, University of Toronto; Jon Crowcroft, University
  College London; J. Robert Ensor, AT&T Bell Laboratories; John Tang, Sun
  Microsystems Laboratories, Inc.

  *=* SESSION 8A *=*
  Video Servers
  Chair: Mon-Song Chen, IBM Research Center

  Support For Fully Interactive Playout In Disk-Array-Based Video Server,
  M.-S. Chen, D. Kandlur, and P. Yu, IBM Research Center

  Distributed Parallel Data Storage Systems: A Scalable Approach to High
  Speed Image Servers
  B. Tierney, J. Lee, T. Chen, H. Herzog, G. Hoo, G. Jin,
  and B. Johnston Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory

  On Multimedia Repositories, Personal Computers, and Hierarchical Storage
  Systems
  S. Ghandeharizadeh and C. Shahabi, University of Southern California

  *=* SESSION 8B *=*
  Collaboration
  Chair: Abel Weinrib, Bellcore

  Hypermedia Conversation Recording to Preserve Informal Artifacts in
  Realtime Collaboration, T. Imai, K. Yamaguchi, and T. Muranaga, Toshiba,
  Japan

  Multipoint Audio and Video Control For Packet-Based Multimedia
  Conferencing
  F. Gong, MCNC Information Technologies

  Argo: A System for Distributed Collaboration
  H. Gajewska, J. Kistler, M. Manasse, and D. Redell, DEC Systems Research
  Center

  *=* PANEL P9 *=*
  Should the Multimedia Industry be Regulated? A Legal Debate

  Organizer: Ina Risman, Pillsbury Madison and Sutro
  Panelists: Maurice Welsh, Pacific Bell
  Megan Waters Pierson, Pillsbury Madison and Sutro, Kevin R. Sullivan,
  Keely Dry and Warren

  *=* SESSION 9A *=*

  AWARD PAPERS

  Chair: Domenico Ferrari, University of California at Berkeley

  Best Student Paper
  Automatic Presentation of Multimedia Documents Using Relational Grammars
  L. Weitzman, MIT Media Laboratory and Kent Wittenburg, Bellcore

  Best Paper
  The Personal Presence System - A Wide Area Network Resource for the
  Real Time Composition of Multipoint Multimedia Communications
  D. Boyer and M. Lukacs, Bellcore

  *** CLOSING PLENARY SESSION ***

  Presentation Technology Standards for Multimedia: Production and
  reproduction as intended by the director.

  Tomlinson Holman, Corporate Technical Director, LucasFilm
  A great many competing standards exist for multimedia software. An area
  which is practically overlooked for such standardization could bring
  greater acceptance of the concept of multi-media to large audiences, and
  that is standardizing presentation technology from the production house
  to every house. This talk, intended for artistic directors through
  hardware design engineers, will highlight a direction for multimedia
  presentation standards with information both distilled from and expanding
  beyond the standards of film and television.

  Tom Holman provides stategic planning and development for the THX
  Division of LucasFilm Ltd. and plays a leading role in setting technical
  standards and practices for interchange. He continues to work toward the
  development of more sophisticated solutions to presenting film and video
  with high picture and sound quality. His technical contributions are the
  designs of the THX Sound System, Home THX Audio System and other THX
  systems. Among his many awards are the SMPTE Eastman Kodak Gold Medal and
  the Samuel L. Warner Medal for progress in film sound. Holman is also an
  associate professor at the USC School of Cinema-Television.

  Multimedia: The Evolution of a New Industry
  Scott Marden, President & CEO, Philips Media

  Scott will give his perspective on the emerging multimedia industry. He
  will identify those components and aspects that are critical, and discuss
  which ideas will succeed and which will fail. He will give examples and
  show demonstrations to illustrate his viewpoint.

  Scott Marden joined Philips Electronics N.V. in 1993 as President and CEO
  of its software and services unit, Philips Media. Based in New York, he
  has worldwide responsibility for all Philips' electronic media and
  multimedia interests. Before joining Philips, he was a senior managing
  director at Bear, Stearns & Co., Inc. Marden also served as President of
  the International Publishing Division of CBS, Inc.

  Mr. Marden's presentation will be followed by closing remarks from the
  Conference Chair of Multimedia '95.

=================****=================****=================****============

COURSES

  * Introduction from the Courses Chair
  We are proud to offer you two days of exciting courses by leading experts
  in their fields. They offer something for everyone. Take an in-depth look
  at how to effectively use metaphor, graphics or sound in the multimedia
  interface. Acquire practical knowledge in the use of specific authoring
  software tools, or insight into advanced techniques and issues relating
  to multimedia production from start to finish, from people who have
  actually done these things. Explore current and emerging technology, as
  well as future trends, in networking, digital libraries, multimedia
  databases, and more. Learn how to design successful multimedia systems
  for children, and courses for college students. The list goes on and on!
  Whether you want to get into a new aspect of multimedia or to learn more
  about your current field, our team of international experts can meet your
  needs.

  Ephraim P. Glinert
  Courses Chair

  Level Code: N = Novice, I = Intermedia, A = Advanced

  FOR MORE INFORMATION on any of the following courses, please send
  email to Professor Ephraim Glinert at [email-masked]. 

  * SAP1 Level: N
  Multimedia Systems and Networks: A Guided Tour
  Sunday, October 16, Full day 

  Organizer: Milan Milenkovic, IBM
  Lecturer:  Borko Furht, Florida Atlantic University

  * SAP2 Level: N
  Graphic Design for Multimedia User Interfaces
  Sunday, October 16, Full day 

  Organizer: Aaron Marcus, Aaron Marcus and Associates
  Lecturers: Wolfgang Heidrich and Jay Melican, Aaron Marcus and  Associates

  * SAP3 Level: N
  Designing Multimedia Environments for Children
  Sunday, October 16, Full day

  Organizer: Allison Druin, NYU
  Lecturer:  Cynthia Solomon, Consultant

  * SA4 Level: N
  Introduction to Multimedia Computing and Systems
  Sunday, October 16, AM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: John F. Buford, University of Massachusetts, Lowell.

  * SA5  Level: I
  Real-Time Graphical and Acoustical Rendering
  Sunday, October 16, AM Half day

  Organizer: Peter Astheimer, Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics
  Lecturer: Stefan Mueller, Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics

  * SA6 Level: I
  Broadband Network Services Architecture
  Sunday, October 16, AM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: Raif O. Onvural, IBM

  * SA7 Level: I
  Systems Issues in Desktop Video-conferencing
  Sunday, October 16, AM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: Kevin Jeffay, University of North Carolina

  * SA8 Level: I
  Intelligent Multimedia Interfaces
  Sunday, October 16, AM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: Mark T. Maybury, MITRE

  * SP4 Level: I
  Multimedia Database Systems
  Sunday, October 16, PM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: Arif Ghafoor, Purdue University. 

  * SP5 Level: A 
  Singularity Modeling for Abstracting Multimedia Data
  Sunday, October 16, PM Half day

  Organizer: Tosiyasu L. Kunii, University of Aizu
  Lecturer: Yoshihisa Shinagawa, University of Tokyo

  * SP6 Level: A
  Multimedia Networking
  Sunday, October 16, PM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: Aurel A. Lazar, Columbia University

  * SP7 Level: N
  Creating Producible Multimedia
  Sunday, October 16, PM Half day 

  Organizer and Lecturer: James H. Alexander, USWest Marketing Resources

  * SP8 Level: I
  Designing Cooperative Hypermedia Systems
  Sunday, October 16, PM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: Norbert A. Streitz, German National Research Center

  * MAP1 Level: A
  Advanced Multimedia Production
  Monday, October 17, Full day

  Organizer: Marie Redmond, Trinity College
  Lecturers: Niall Sweeney, Blaise Smith, Eoin Keith, Trinity College

  * MAP2 Level: I
  Auditory Displays: Extending the Interface
  Monday, October 17, Full day

  Organizer: Gregory Kramer, Clarity
  Lecturer: Tom Rettig, Broderbund Software

  * MA3 Level: I
  Programming Interactive Image, Sound, and QuickTime Stacks in HyperCard
  Monday, October 17, AM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: Stephen Wilson, San Francisco State University

  * MA4 Level: I
  Using Metaphor Effectively in Multimedia Interface Design
  Monday, October 17, AM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: Adam Marx, USWest

  * MA5 Level: I
  Systematic Analysis and Design of Hypermedia Applications
  Monday, October 17, AM Half day

  Organizer: Paolo Paolini, Politecnico di Milano
  Lecturer: Franca Garzotto, Politecnico di Milano

  * MA6 Level: N
  Design and Use of Digital Libraries
  Monday, October 17, AM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: Robert M. Akscyn, Knowledge Systems Inc.

  * MA7 Level: N
  Game Design for Marketing and Training
  Monday, October 17, AM Half day

  Organizer: Paul Drexler, InterWorks, Inc.
  Lecturer: Julie Marsh, InterWorks, Inc.

  * MA8 Level: I
  Declarative Visual Programming Languages
  Monday, October 17 AM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: Margaret M. Burnett, Oregon State University

  * MP3 Level: N
  Introduction to HyTime
  Monday, October 17, PM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: Lloyd Rutledge, University of Massachusetts, Lowell

  * MP4 Level: N
  Electronic and Network Publishing for the Electronic Arts (a creator's
  guide to the electronic frontier)
  Monday, October 17, PM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: Paul Brown, FineArt Forum

  * MP5 Level: N
  Legal Strategies for Owners of Computer-Based Property
  Monday, October 17, PM Half day

  Organizer: Curtis E. A. Karnow, Landels, Ripley and Diamond
  Lecturer: Howard A. Simon, Landels, Ripley and Diamond

  * MP6 Level: A
  Indexing Multimedia Databases
  Monday, October 17, PM Half day

  Organizer and Lecturer: Christos Faloutsos, University of Maryland

  * MP7 Level: N
  Image Compression Standards and Architectures
  Monday, October 17, PM Half day

  Organizer: Konstantinos Konstantinides, Hewlett Packard Laboratories
  Lecturer:  Vasudev Bhaskaran, Hewlett Packard Laboratories

  * MP8 Level: I
  Designing a Senior Level or Graduate Course in Interactive Multimedia
  Monday, October 17, PM Half day vm

  Organizer: Rachelle Heller, George Washington University
  Lecturer: Linda Kieffer, Eastern Washington University

=================****=================****=================****============

		     CONFERENCE REGISTRATION FORM

			  ACM Multimedia'94
		     Hyatt Regency, San Francisco
			 October 16_20, 1994

Please type or print clearly. 

  Full Name	______________________________________________________

  Title         ______________________________________________________

  E-Mail        ______________________________________________________

  Organization or Affiliation ________________________________________

  Dept. or M/S  ______________________________________________________

  Address       ______________________________________________________

  City State/Province ________________________________________________

  Zip/Postal Code  ___________________________________________________

  Country       ______________________________________________________

  Telephone     ______________________________________________________

  Fax           ______________________________________________________

  ACM or SIG MM Member No. IEEE Com Soc Member No. ___________________

  You must fill in your member No. above to qualify for member rates.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

			         Member             Non Member        Student

		                By     After       By        After

 Courses   	              9/15/94   9/15/94   9/15/94    9/15/94

 One Half Day Course $_______ $220       $245     $265       $290     $175

 Two Half Day Courses$_______ $385       $430     $465       $510     $300
      (or One Full Day)

 Three Half Day Courses$_____ $550       $615     $665       $730     $425
       (or One Full Day & One Half Day)

 Four Half Day Courses$_____  $715       $800     $865       $930     $550
       (or Two Full Days)
  (You must indicate course selections on the reverse side of this form)

 Conference Only     $______  $325       $395     $425       $495     $195

 Exhibits Only*      $______  $25        $25      $25        $25      $25

 Reception*          $______  $25        $25      $25        $25      $25

 Conference Videotape$______  $20        $20      $20        $20      $20

 Total Amount Enclosed$___________

  *Complimentary when signing up for the conference.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 PAYMENT OPTIONS:

  Mail this form with payment or a purchase order to Multimedia '94,
  Danieli & O'Keefe Associates, Inc., 490 Boston Post Rd, Sudbury, MA 01776
  or fax, with credit card information or a copy of a purchase order to
  508-443-4715. Forms will not be processed without full payment. Make
  checks or POs payable to: Multimedia '94 or fill in your credit card
  information below.   

  ___ AMEX           ___ MC/VISA           ___ Diners Club

  Card Number    _______________
  Exp. Date      ______________

  Name as it appears on card _________________________

  Cardholder's Signature _____________________________

       Please note: The charge will be billed under Danieli & O'Keefe
  Associates, Inc.

  Cancellation Policy: Confirmed Registrants who cannot attend are entitled
  to a refund of paid fees less a $50 processing fee if a written
  request is received by us on or before October 1. After October 1,
  there are no refunds. Substitutions are welcome. For more
  information, call 800-524-1851 (in USA and Canada only) or 508-443-3330.

 COURSE SELECTIONS

  Please check those courses you plan to attend.

  Full Day Courses
  Sunday
  ___ SAP1 Multimedia Systems and Networks: A Guided Tour
  ___ SAP2 Graphic Design for Multimedia User Interfaces
  ___ SAP3 Designing Multimedia Environments for Children

  Monday
  ___ MAP1 Advanced Multimedia Production
  ___ MAP2 Auditory Displays: Extending the Interface

  Half Day Courses
  Sunday AM
  ___ SA4 Introduction to Multimedia Computing and Systems
  ___ SA5 Real-time Graphical and Acoustical Rendering
  ___ SA6 Broadband Network Services Architecture
  ___ SA7 Systems Issues in Desktop Videoconferencing
  ___ SA8 Intelligent Multimedia Interfaces

  Sunday PM
  ___ SP4 Multimedia Database Systems
  ___ SP5 Singularity Modeling for Abstracting Multimedia Data
  ___ SP6 Multimedia Networking
  ___ SP7 Creating Producible Multimedia
  ___ SP8 Designing Cooperative Hypermedia Systems

  Monday AM
  ___ MA3 Programming Interactive Image, Sound and QuickTime Stacks in
  HyperCard
  ___ MA4 Using Metaphor Effectively in Multimedia Interface Design
  ___ MA5 Systematic Analysis and Design of Hypermedia Applications
  ___ MA6 Design and Use of Digital Libraries
  ___ MA7 Game Design for Marketing and Training
  ___ MA8 Declarative Visual Programming   Languages

  Monday PM
  ___ MP3 Introduction to HyTime
  ___ MP4 Electronic and Network Publishing for the Electronic Arts
  ___ MP5 Legal Strategies for Owners of Computer-Based Property.
  ___ MP6 Indexing Multimedia Databases
  ___ MP7 Image Compression Standards and Architectures
  ___ MP8 Designing a Senior Level or Graduate Course in Interactive

=================****=================****=================****============

HOTEL AND TRAVEL INFORMATION

  Hotel Reservations
  The host hotel for Multimedia '94 is:
  The Hyatt Regency San Francisco
  5 Embarcadero Center
  San Francisco, CA 94111
  415-788-1234
  800-233-1234
  $136 single or double

  When you make your hotel reservations, you must mention Multimedia to
  receive the special conference rate. We recommend you make your
  reservations before September 14, 1994. After that date, there is no
  guarantee of room availability or the special Multimedia Conference rate.

  Guests of the Hyatt Regency San Francisco have access to a health and
  fitness center, business center and indoor/outdoor tennis courts among
  other amenities.

  Additional rooms are being held at:
  The Holiday Inn Financial District
  750 Kearny Street
  San Francisco, CA 94108
  415-433-6600
  800-424-8292
  $115 single or double
  You must mention Multimedia to receive the conference rate, and you must
  make your reservation by September 14 to be assured of availability.

  Travel Arrangements
  Birkmayer Travel is offering discounted airfares to Multimedia '94 on
  Delta and United Airlines. Choose from a 5% discount on supersaver fares
  (Saturday night stay required), or sharply reduced "zone'' fares (2 day
  minimum stay, 14 day maximum, no Saturday night required). Here are two
  examples of the potential savings to San Francisco at the time of
  writing:

  From New York City:
  $568 with a 14 day advance purchase
  $634 with a 7 day advance purchase
  (the unrestricted coach fare: $1,448)

  From Dallas:
  $398 with a 14 day advance purchase
  $514 with a 7 day advance purchase
  (the unrestricted coach fare: $1,092)

  Discounts apply only to travel within the continental United States or
  originating in Canada. Please note that all fares are subject to change
  without notice, and prices are guaranteed only after tickets are actually
  purchased. Space is limited, and some restrictions apply. Please call
  Birkmayer directly and mention Multimedia '94 for further information and
  reservations:

  1 (800) 338 5735 (continental U.S. and Canada)
  1 (518) 272 2650 (New York State and non-US)
  1 (518) 272 7257 (fax)
  Hours: 9:00am - 5:00pm EDT, Monday-Friday

  or call Delta at 1-800-338-5735 and refer to
  file #I3293
  Birkmayer has also arranged special discounted rates with AVIS for those
  attendees who wish to
  rent a car. To make reservations, just call AVIS at:

  1 (800) 331 1600 (continental U.S. and Canada)
  1 (918) 664 9600 (non -US)
  1 (918) 621 4814 (fax)

  and mention MULTIMEDIA'94 AWD# B347628.

  Airport transporation
  Both the Hyatt Regency and the Holiday Inn are about 20 minutes from the
  airport. Taxi service costs approximately $30. SFO Airporter shuttles
  leave the airport every 10-20 min, with service to the Hyatt. For more
  information on the SFO Airporter, call 415-495-8404. More information on
  ground transportation will be sent with your confirmation letter.

=================****=================****=================****============

CONFERENCE COMMITTEE

  CO-CHAIRS
  M. Blattner, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and University
			of California, Davis 
  J. O. Limb, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta

  ADVISORY COMMITTEE
  E. Fox, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and SU

  TREASURER
  R. B. Allen, Bellcore

  PROCEEDINGS
  J. J. Garcia-Luna, University of California, Santa Cruz

  WORKSHOPS
  S. Wilbur, Queen Mary & Westfield College, UK

  DEMONSTRATIONS
  T. Little, Boston University

  VIDEO
  M. Brown, Digital Equipment Corporation
  D. Redell, Digital Equipment Corporation

  ELECTRONIC PUBLISHING
  R. Rada, University of Liverpool, UK

  PANELS
  A. Kuchinsky, Hewlett-Packard
  S. Bulick, US WEST Technologies

  COURSES
  E. P. Glinert, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
  D. McIntyre, Morgan, Stanley & Co.
  K. Wittenburg, Bell Communications Research,

  LOCAL ARRANGEMENTS
  J. D. Smith, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

  PUBLICITY
  G. Parulkar, Washington University in St. Louis

  EXHIBITS
  P. Mantey, University of California, Santa Cruz

  AUDIO/VISUAL

  N. Johnston, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory

  UBIQUITOUS ART ZONE
  Beverly Reiser

  PROGRAM COMMITTEE
  Chair
  D. Ferrari, University of California, Berkeley

  CO-CHAIRS
  S. Ahuja, AT&T Bell Laboratories
  F. Kitson, Hewlett-Packard
  T. Kunii, University of Aizu, Japan
  R. Phillips, Los Alamos National Laboratory
  R. Rada, University of Liverpool, UK
  R. Sacks-Davis, the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology.

=================****=================****=================****============

MESSAGE FROM THE CONFERENCE CO-CHAIRS

  We are witnessing the birth of a new epoch, an epoch in which multimedia
  will rule as the medium of expression. Multimedia will make the world a
  very different place in 25 years, and will bring with it a revolution in
  communication as great as that of the invention of the printing press.
  Multimedia provides the ability not only to see, but to hear and
  manipulate virtual objects in the computer interface. Gesture, eye
  contact, and speech allow us to communicate in natural ways that have
  evolved over millions of years, but until now electronic media has
  furnished very poor analogs of these interactions. Now we are developing
  the ability to use the subtleties of drama in exposition, on one hand,
  and the flexibility of creating group interactions that may one day be
  more powerful than face-to-face interactions on the other. These new
  modalities and interactivity comprise the significant difference between
  multimedia interfaces and other types of computer displays.

  Rarely can we pinpoint the creation of a new discipline so clearly. The
  same sense of excitement was felt in the late 50's when logic,
  mathematics, electrical engineering, and linguistics suddenly merged to
  create something the world had never seen before: a theory and a
  foundation for computer science. Over the past five years, we have
  witnessed something similar: the merging of graphics, text processing,
  video, audio, hardware, software, communications and other
  computer-related disciplines. This merging has resulted in the creation
  of a new technology, and it is called Multimedia.

  Multimedia has many parents and siblings: nine ACM Special Interest
  Groups (SIGs) have sponsored this conference to show their involvement
  and interest in this new arena, with the cooperation of five more ACM
  SIGs and the IEEE Communications Society. The sense of wonder and
  excitement is even greater now than when computer science was born. We
  thought the future of computers was in science, engineering, and business
  applications. But the future of multimedia lies in everything we see
  around us: science and engineering, education, digital libraries, home
  entertainment, arts, medicine, business, aids for the disabled, and more.

  ACM Multimedia came into existence in 1993, "midwived," so to speak, by
  SIGGRAPH, and this year is taking place in the nurturing environment of
  San Francisco, where an estimated 500 companies located in the greater
  Bay area are involved in the support and development of multimedia
  products. The world has already seen a financial investment of many
  billions of dollars in the creation of multimedia products,
  investments, and sales. We look at this infant technology and ask,
  "Who does it look like?" And, "What will it grow up to be?" We are
   here to examine some of these questions. 

  Multimedia '94 will give you the opportunity to sample the advances that
  have taken place in the last year. Through the courses you can quickly
  get up to speed in a large number of areas. You can also explore the
  technical depths in two parallel tracks of sessions. One track will focus
  on content creation and will be capped by a multimedia arts night
  featuring the work of over 20 artists. A separate track of panels will
  enable you to hear experts debate key issues facing the fledgling
  industry, including legal, technical, and business issues, as well as the
  concerns of the content creators. Exhibitor presentations will provide
  more product detail and background.

  The "piece de resistance" will be the opening and closing plenaries. In the
  opening plenary, a panel of industry leaders will help establish focus
  for the overall conference by debating a number of key issues relating to
  the next directions of our infant industry. What will be the primary path
  to new information services? Will the greatest opportunities be found in
  the business environment or in the home? If you have a question that you
  would like to see addressed, please forward it to us. The closing plenary
  will consist of a multimedia presentation that will attempt to provide
  some clues to where the industry is headed. Come meet us at Multimedia
  '94, and enjoy the diversity that is at the heart of multimedia and the
  flourish that contributes to the excitement of our growing industry.

  Meera Blattner
  John Limb
  General Co-Chairs

=================****=================****=================****============
FOR MORE INFORMATION

To receive more information about Multimedia'94 or the Advance
Program, contact Danieli and O'Keefe (DOK), our conference management
company.

Address

	Danieli and O'Keefe
	490 Boston Post Road
	Sudbury, MA  01776-9898

Phone numbers
	
	800-524-1851, or 508-443-3330, Ext. 1214

Email

       [email-masked] or [email-masked]

=================****=================****=================****============