Subject: [tcpm] tcpsecure: Corner case in the mitigation for the SYN-based reset

From: Fernando Gont <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:59:51 -0300

Folks,

Section 4.2 of tcpsecure describes a corner case that is supposedly un-handled.

My understanding is that the mitigation does *not* harm any feature 
of TCP. Can anybody think of a reason for which RFC 793 states that a 
reset should be sent in response to in-window SYNs, rather than 
responding with an ACK (as suggested by TCP secure)?

(maybe simply the fact that an out-of-window SYN could be an 
old-duplicate, while an in-window SYN certainly indicates an abnormal 
behaviour (i.e., error condition)?)

Thanks!

--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: [email-masked] || [email-masked]
PGP Fingerprint: 7809 84F5 322E 45C7 F1C9 3945 96EE A9EF D076 FFF1

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm