Subject: [tcpm] [Fwd: [Lwip] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks-04.txt]

From: "Carles Gomez Montenegro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 07:47:09 +0200

Dear LWIG and TCPM WGs,

As you can see below, we have updated the "TCP Usage Guidance in the
Internet of Things (IoT)" draft.

This revision intends to address previously pending TODOs, as well as
comments from the LWIG session in Montreal.

As you may recall, we are getting ready for requesting a WGLC. Your
comments will be most welcome.

Thanks,

Carles (on behalf of all authors)

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: [Lwip] I-D Action:
draft-ietf-lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks-04.txt
From:    [email-masked]
Date:    Tue, October 9, 2018 7:30 am
To:      [email-masked]
Cc:      [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Light-Weight Implementation Guidance WG
of the IETF.

        Title           : TCP Usage Guidance in the Internet of Things (IoT)
        Authors         : Carles Gomez
                          Jon Crowcroft
                          Michael Scharf
	Filename        : draft-ietf-lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks-04.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2018-10-08

Abstract:
   This document provides guidance on how to implement and use the
   Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) in Constrained-Node Networks
   (CNNs), which are a characterstic of the Internet of Things (IoT).
   Such environments require a lightweight TCP implementation and may
   not make use of optional functionality.  This document explains a
   number of known and deployed techniques to simplify a TCP stack as
   well as corresponding tradeoffs.  The objective is to help embedded
   developers with decisions on which TCP features to use.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-lwig-tcp-constrained-node-networks-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

_______________________________________________
Lwip mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lwip

---

From: Yoshifumi Nishida <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 20:02:38 -0700

Hello,

I've read the draft and I think the draft looks fine and mostly ready.
I have some comments below..

1: Section 4.2.4:
  "In that case, RTO algorithm tuning may be considered, although
careful assessment of possible drawbacks is recommended"

-> It might be better if we refer draft-ietf-tcpm-rto-consider here
although it is not very certain the draft will be published at this
moment? It seems to me the motivation of the doc fits the situation
like this.

2: Section 4.3.1:
   "These algorithms work efficiently for window size of at least 5 MSS"

-> Just curious why this is 5? Is it because the use of delayed ack is presumed?
     A receiver may have a chance to send an ack for segment 1 before
segment 3 arrives.

3: Section 5.3
    CCN -> CNN?

   "This overhead could be reduced by TCP Fast Open (TFO)"

-> Yes, but the use of TLS is not mandatory in this draft. If an
implementation utilizes TFO, we might want to mention about app level
idempotency here.

   "TCP keep-alive messages are not very useful to..."

-> We don't need to discuss reducing the interval of keep-alive here?

Thanks,
--
Yoshi

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 10:47 PM Carles Gomez Montenegro
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> tcpm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm