Subject: [tcpm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 11:56:34 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions WG of the IETF.

        Title           : More Accurate ECN Feedback in TCP
        Authors         : Bob Briscoe
                          Mirja Kühlewind
                          Richard Scheffenegger
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-08.txt
	Pages           : 46
	Date            : 2019-03-11

Abstract:
   Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) is a mechanism where network
   nodes can mark IP packets instead of dropping them to indicate
   incipient congestion to the end-points.  Receivers with an ECN-
   capable transport protocol feed back this information to the sender.
   ECN is specified for TCP in such a way that only one feedback signal
   can be transmitted per Round-Trip Time (RTT).  Recent new TCP
   mechanisms like Congestion Exposure (ConEx), Data Center TCP (DCTCP)
   or Low Latency Low Loss Scalable Throughput (L4S) need more accurate
   ECN feedback information whenever more than one marking is received
   in one RTT.  This document specifies an experimental scheme to
   provide more than one feedback signal per RTT in the TCP header.
   Given TCP header space is scarce, it allocates a reserved header bit,
   that was previously used for the ECN-Nonce which has now been
   declared historic.  It also overloads the two existing ECN flags in
   the TCP header.  Supplementary feedback information can optionally be
   provided in a new TCP option, which is never used on the TCP SYN.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-08
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tcpm-accurate-ecn-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/