Subject: Re: [tcpm] Agenda for TCPM WG meeting at IETF 113

From: Vidhi Goel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 20:27:31 -0800

Hello Chairs,

Sorry for the late response. We would like to reserve 10 minutes to discuss Cubic.

> * Title / draft name
Revised Cubic as PS

> * Presenter's name
Vidhi Goel

> * Total time (including Q/A)
10 minutes

> * on-site or remote (just in case)
Remote

Thanks,
Vidhi
> On Feb 28, 2022, at 2:00 AM, Yoshifumi Nishida <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hello,
> 
> Our WG meeting is scheduled on Wednesday (3/23) 13:30-15:30 UTC (please check https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/113/agenda/ <https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/113/agenda/> )
> If you are planning to present something, please let the chairs know the following information.
> 
> * Title / draft name
> * Presenter's name
> * Total time (including Q/A)
> * on-site or remote (just in case)
> 
> Thanks,
> --
> tcpm co-chairs
> _______________________________________________
> tcpm mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm

---

From: Maxime Piraux <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 17:01:37 +0100

Hello tcpm co-chairs,

We would like to present and discuss TCPLS for 25 minutes (20min 
presentation + 5min Q/A)

* Title / draft name

TCPLS: Modern Transport Services with TCP and TLS,
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-piraux-tcpls/

* Presenter's name

Maxime Piraux

25 minutes

Remote

--

During the last decade, our lab has been heavily involved in Multipath
TCP. Despite its benefits on devices such as smartphones and now being
an IETF standard, the development and deployment of MPTCP has been
difficult. Today, Apple has deployed it and Linux is slowly improving
its support in the mainline kernel.

Moreover, the design of MPTCP suffers from security limitations in its
subflow joining mechanism and is prone to middlebox interference.

Today's Internet has evolved compared to its state when MPTCP was
designed. One of the difference is the ubiquity of TLS, used to secure
Internet applications. TLS 1.3 makes one step further in utilising
encryption to extend the protocol and leverages encrypted TLS records to
exchange all control information past the handshake.

We have recently explored how TLS 1.3 could be leveraged together with
TCP to provide secure services equivalent to MPTCP and additional ones
such as support for multiple streams, while keeping an unmodified TCP
stack. It turns out that this works very well, as we detailed in a paper
published at CoNEXT'21 which received the Best Community Award [1].

Our approach is called TCPLS and combines TCP and TLS into a secure
protocol enabling the implementation of modern transport services such
as multiplexing, connection migration and multipath in a user-space
library. TCPLS leverages the encrypted TLS records to exchange control
and application data.

This is of course reminiscent of the MCTCP proposal more than 10 years
ago. Today, we strongly believe that the services provided on top of TCP
can be securely extended thanks to the use of TLS in the TCP payload.

Olivier presented some of these ideas in TCPM at IETF109. Since then,
the protocol has been improved and is now described in an IETF draft
[2]. We would like to continue the discussion of TCPLS within TCPM
with a more concrete proposal laid out in this draft, and eventually
discuss a venue for continuing this work with interested IETF participants.

[1]https://dl.acm.org/doi/pdf/10.1145/3485983.3494865
[2]https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-piraux-tcpls/

Best,

Maxime Piraux

Le 28/02/22 à 11:00, Yoshifumi Nishida a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> Our WG meeting is scheduled on Wednesday (3/23) 13:30-15:30 UTC (please
> check https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/113/agenda/ )