Subject: [tcpm] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-03.txt]

From: "Carles Gomez Montenegro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2022 13:44:38 +0100

Dear TCPM WG,

Please find below the main details of our recently updated version of the
"TCP ACK Rate Request Option" draft.

This version aims to incorporate the significant amount of feedback that
we received on the previous version (-02).

Main updates in -03:

- The TARR option format has been updated: the N field has been removed
(it appeared to be mostly redundant). The current size of the option is 5
bytes.

- There are two possible encodings for the R field (to be discussed).

- Several clarifications added/made.

- The requirement level for a TARR-capable receiver has changed from MUST
to SHOULD (the related reasons have been added).

- A new section (section 5) has been added to provide guidance on changing
the ACK rate during the lifetime of a TCP connection.

- The security considerations section has been extended.

Many thanks to Yoshifumi Nishida, Jonathan Morton, Michael Scharf, and Bob
Briscoe for providing feedback on -02. Such feedback has been extremely
helpful!

Comments on -03 are very much appreciated.

We would also like to collaborate with implementers. Should you be
interested, please do not hesitate to contact us!

Cheers,

Carles (on behalf of the authors)

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-03.txt
From:    [email-masked]
Date:    Mon, March 7, 2022 7:17 am
To:      "Carles Gomez" <[email-masked]>
         "Jon Crowcroft" <[email-masked]>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new version of I-D, draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-03.txt
has been successfully submitted by Carles Gomez and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request
Revision:	03
Title:		TCP ACK Rate Request Option
Document date:	2022-03-06
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		10
URL:           
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-03.txt
Status:        
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request/
Htmlized:      
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request
Diff:          
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-03

Abstract:
   TCP Delayed Acknowledgments (ACKs) is a widely deployed mechanism
   that allows reducing protocol overhead in many scenarios.  However,
   Delayed ACKs may also contribute to suboptimal performance.  When a
   relatively large congestion window (cwnd) can be used, less frequent
   ACKs may be desirable.  On the other hand, in relatively small cwnd
   scenarios, eliciting an immediate ACK may avoid unnecessary delays
   that may be incurred by the Delayed ACKs mechanism.  This document
   specifies the TCP ACK Rate Request (TARR) option.  This option allows
   a sender to request the ACK rate to be used by a receiver, and it
   also allows to request immediate ACKs from a receiver.

The IETF Secretariat