Subject: [tcpm] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-04.txt]

From: "Carles Gomez Montenegro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 12:22:43 +0200

Dear TCPM WG,

First of all, many thanks to everyone who made comments on the TARR option
draft!

Please find below the main pointers to a new update of the draft (-04).

In this new version:

- Based on a significant amount of feedback received, the Ignore Order
feature has been removed.

- As a result of the above, the R field has one additional bit (7 bits),
which allows supporting a larger range of R values for the two encoding
options currently considered for this field (to be further discussed).

- We addressed the comments on -03 that Bob Briscoe sent on the mailing list.

Further feedback will be very much welcome.

Cheers,

Carles (on behalf of the authors)

---------------------------- Original Message ----------------------------
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-04.txt
From:    [email-masked]
Date:    Wed, March 30, 2022 11:56 am
To:      "Carles Gomez" <[email-masked]>
         "Jon Crowcroft" <[email-masked]>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new version of I-D, draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-04.txt
has been successfully submitted by Carles Gomez and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:		draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request
Revision:	04
Title:		TCP ACK Rate Request Option
Document date:	2022-03-30
Group:		Individual Submission
Pages:		10
URL:           
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-04.txt
Status:        
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request/
Htmlized:      
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request
Diff:          
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gomez-tcpm-ack-rate-request-04

Abstract:
   TCP Delayed Acknowledgments (ACKs) is a widely deployed mechanism
   that allows reducing protocol overhead in many scenarios.  However,
   Delayed ACKs may also contribute to suboptimal performance.  When a
   relatively large congestion window (cwnd) can be used, less frequent
   ACKs may be desirable.  On the other hand, in relatively small cwnd
   scenarios, eliciting an immediate ACK may avoid unnecessary delays
   that may be incurred by the Delayed ACKs mechanism.  This document
   specifies the TCP ACK Rate Request (TARR) option.  This option allows
   a sender to request the ACK rate to be used by a receiver, and it
   also allows to request immediate ACKs from a receiver.

The IETF Secretariat