Subject: no PPP connection at all?

From: Arndt Ritterbecks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 13:56:41 +0100

Hello,

although the main concern of this mailinglist is TCP over satellite,
I have a question that could be interesting also for others.

Can it happen that it is impossible to establish a PPP connection 
over one or more satellite links? Maybe this is more a theoretical
question but let's imagine that there are more than two (geostati-
onary) satellite hops involved. Furthermore, if RLP is used, this 
can add to additional delays due to resending. This all could lead 
to huge roundtrip times which are much higher than the usual 
0.5-0.6 seconds. (Further delays due to possible interleaving 
not counted)

Are there any timers in PPP which could expire so that no PPP
connection can be established? (Even if the timers are con-
figurable there are usually default values.)

Best regards,
Arndt

---

From: "Jack Stiekema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 19:25:53 +0100

Dear Armdt,

Like all IP protocols PPP is so slow you can enter all data manualy, timouts
are many (10, 60?) seconds.

I have tested PPP with win95 and RTT of 600ms, this gave no problems.

Jack Stiekema

Cap Gemini Nederland
Phone: +31 (0)30 252 9219
Fax: +31 (0)598 398008

-----Original Message-----
From: Arndt Ritterbecks <[email-masked]>
To: TCP-SAT <[email-masked]>
Date: vrijdag 30 oktober 1998 16:02
Subject: no PPP connection at all?

Hello,

Best regards,
Arndt